Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhonka

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Something I've noticed is that I can hear a high pitched noise from my Crucial M4 during heavy write operations such as extracting a 2GB zip file.

The behavior is not unique to my Thunderbolt setup, but I suspect its exposed open-air nature makes it more apparent. I heard the same thing when I opened the case of my PC (which housed a 128GB Crucial M4) and when briefly using a bare USB 2.0 to SATA adapter on my notebook (connected to another 256GB Crucial M4).

It's not something I am worried about, but my friend warned me noises usually mean dying capacitors or a bad power source. I think I just have sensitive hearing, combined with how silent my iMac is when the hard drive is asleep.

For the curious, the sound is a much quieter form of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuijfJfQxts

zeyon

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2012
France / Paris
Hi guys,

this is my results of ssd samsung 830 256 Go connected to my imac 21,5" core i5 with STAE121 :)

[url=http://img11.hostingpics.net/thumbs/mini_533006Capturedcran20121128212427.png]Image[/URL]

hi guys,

i have an other installation, so show you the new results.

Installation :

- iMac 2012 21 i5 2,7 "
- LaCie Thunderbolt/USB3 enclosure ( i unmount the 1 to inside original)
- Crucial M4 512 Go with last Firmware ( i put the ssd in lacie e,closure)

Results with thunderbolt connection :

Results with USB 3.0 connection :

It's the same results that Thunderbolt connection but sligthy better (approximately 5 at 10 Mo/s in read and write)

I choose Thunderbolt connection for my daily use because Thunderbolt manage TRIM instruction.

For information, we show that there results are more worse than with the Samsung 830 serie 256 Go and the Segeate enclosure.

Last edited:

Nemic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Some new questions :)

I know this is an old thread, but I have some questions regarding newer SSDs.

I have used the Seagate GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter with Crucial M500 SSD 256 GB with great success. I was on safari last year and was taking thousands of photo's each day, and the 256 GB SSDs were great for speed, but the capacity was not enough.

As I need more storage I wanted to try the GoFlex adapter with the new Crucial M550 1TB SSD.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience of this, stable or disconnects, or simply not working at all?

I also have the Seagate desktop adapter and as it has a standard SATA interface, I noticed that the SSD works fine with this. It's designed for full size drives (up to 4TB right now) and powers the SSD with ease.

However the Seagate desktop adapter (I have both the USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt versions) comes with a mains power adapter and will not even power the SSD unless it's plugged into the mains. On safari I may not have (frequent) access to mains power, as we are in tents for a lot of the holiday.

I was wondering if anyone had any success using a USB 3.0 Y cable and powering it with the power from 2 USB 3.0 ports? I have 2 Seagate desktops adapters, 1 is Thunderbolt and 1 is USB 3.0.

My plan was to try powering a 1TB SSD with the Seagate Desktop USB 3.0 with a 2 lead USB 3.0 cable only?

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
I have tried the bus-powered GoFlex Thunderbolt adapter with a Crucial M500 960GB SSD, and to my surprise, it seems to be working. I think the M550 series is even lower power than the M500, so it might work for you.

I haven't really stressed it enough to fully trust this configuration yet, but preliminary results were promising with both the Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 GoFlex bus-powered adapters.

Your bus-powered desktop adapter with SSD solution is intriguing, please let us know how that works out for you.

-howard

Nemic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
I will need to find a USB 3.0 Y cable that has the two plugs far enough apart to go either side of the Macbook Pro Retina 13 inch.

With the USB ports on opposite sides of the laptop, it could be an issue.

Does anyone know of a USB 3.0 Y cable with a Y split of 20 inches / 50cm from the UK?

Last edited:

Nemic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Well I have tried this using a USB 3.0 Y cable and it did not work. It did work when I plugged the adapter into the mains.

This was using a Crucial M4 256 GB SSD.

I have also tried it using the Seagate Desktop Thunderbolt adapter, and it did not work either. As before, plugging the adapter into the mains worked.

I have ordered a new Crucial M550 1TB, and will try again, in case it needs less power . . .

Nemic

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2012
Update: Crucial M550 SSD 1 TB.

It does NOT work when using the Seagate GoFlex Desktop Thunderbolt adapter - via a Y split USB cable only - no power other than via 2 USB leads.

However it does work when the adapter is connected to the mains supply. No issues at all.

It does NOT really work with the Seagate GoFlex Portable thunderbolt adapter. The Mac recognises the drive and Black Magic gives speeds of :

Write 354 MB/s and Read 376 MB/s.

However when I tried transferring large amounts of data the MacBook would lock up. I would need to unplug the drive to unfreeze the MacBook.

I also bought a cheap USB 3.0 enclosure from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BH83LYG/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_dp_1

The drive fits into this easily opened enclosure (no screws) and is powered by a single USB 3.0 lead. It worked perfectly, and I was able to transfer around 50 GB of data with no issues at all. Black Magic speed test gave:

Write 247 MB/s and Read 251 MB/s

Now I realise that this is a lot slower than over Thunderbolt. However in a situation where mains power may be limited this is a great solution. I am very pleased with the result.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.