Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
I have put all my music in the cloud from my windows PC into the cloud. I did this because I have a macbook air with only a 64gb HDD. It's been working fine with no problems but I'm selling the desktop and will only have the air.

So I have got a external HDD and changed my iTunes to the drive on itunes on the mac and downloaded all the songs from iCloud to it.

Working fine no problem song play off the HDD but if I don't have the HDD with me and want to play my music I can't.

When I try to play it from iTunes from the file cannot be located obviously because the HDD is not in but it doesn't give me an option to play from the cloud. If I delete the file from iTunes it will tell me its in the cloud and then I can play it.

Anyway of playing from itunes match without actually having to do this?

Thanks

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I had the same problem. My solution was to dump Match and switch to Google Play. IMO it's a better (and cheaper) service and it solved my problem.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I have put all my music in the cloud from my windows PC into the cloud. I did this because I have a macbook air with only a 64gb HDD. It's been working fine with no problems but I'm selling the desktop and will only have the air.

You say "into the cloud". Do you mean you are using iTunes Match?

In that case, your problem can be solved reasonably easily. You need two libraries - one with all the music on your external drive, and one with the music on your MBA. First step is making sure that iTunes works fine with all your music on your external drive. There are instructions for that on the Internet, and I assume that you have done that. Now how to solve your problem.

Quit iTunes if it is running. Then hold the option / alt key down while you launch iTunes. iTunes shows a dialog with three buttons "Quit", "Create Library", and "Choose Library". Click on "Create Library". You now create a library that keeps all the music on your MBA - only the music that you want there, obviously. If you're at home with the external drive plugged in and you want to access all the music, quit iTunes, start again with option/alt key held down, "Choose Library" and pick the library that uses the external drive.

Malor

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2008
You say "into the cloud". Do you mean you are using iTunes Match?

In that case, your problem can be solved reasonably easily. You need two libraries - one with all the music on your external drive, and one with the music on your MBA. First step is making sure that iTunes works fine with all your music on your external drive. There are instructions for that on the Internet, and I assume that you have done that. Now how to solve your problem.

Quit iTunes if it is running. Then hold the option / alt key down while you launch iTunes. iTunes shows a dialog with three buttons "Quit", "Create Library", and "Choose Library". Click on "Create Library". You now create a library that keeps all the music on your MBA - only the music that you want there, obviously. If you're at home with the external drive plugged in and you want to access all the music, quit iTunes, start again with option/alt key held down, "Choose Library" and pick the library that uses the external drive.

Yes, I mean iTunes Match.

Never knew about the multiple libraries I'll give it a go and see how it goes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.