Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
Need some advice on upgrading my home network. My current router (Netgear) keeps dropping the 5ghz network and sometimes the 2.4ghz network. The 5ghz will maybe run for 24 hours before it drops.

My new modem is the Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem - Retail Packaging - White (amazon)

Now I need some advice on a router. My new home is a little over 1600 sq ft and I am looking at the Airport Extreme 802.11N (5TH GEN) and http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008HO9DIG (NETGEAR Wireless Router - AC 1200 Dual Band Gigabit (R6200)..

I'm open to suggestions on the router choices..

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
I'd recommend the AirPort Extreme. It's easier to setup, maintain and change settings. Also, you get better support if you have any problems. I personally have Netgear routers but if I had the choice and the money, I'd get AirPort instead.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
I use an Airport Extreme for wireless but use a separate router due to house geography. The contractor supplied wiring in the house made it much easier to put the modem, router, and VoIP in the garage. However it was a bad place for good reception in the house. I put the Airport in the middle of the house connected with Ethernet to the router and get excellent reception anywhere in the house - 2000 sq ft with basement. Wireless has been rock solid. I never have it drop out.

The router supplies qos for the phone service. It's a dlink that I picked up cheap as a backup and had to press into service when my Linksys died.

The only objections I have to the Airport is lack of qos and only 4 Ethernet ports (3 LAN & 1 wan). Most routers supply 4+1. I have to use some switches to connect all the othe gear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.