Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Hello, what is the best NAS that supports mac OS, Windows and linux?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Hello, what is the best NAS that supports mac OS, Windows and linux?

It really depends on what you want in a NAS. I highly recommend you go to smallnetbuilder site and enjoy the reviews of NAS and also the tests.

Items such as QNAP, Synology, Thecus, Buffalo, Netgear and others are found there with reviews and benchmarks.

As for me, I have a QNAP that works quite well with all three OS and I would imagine that Synology and Thecus too would be fair candidates.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
Items such as QNAP, Synology, Thecus, Buffalo, Netgear and others are found there with reviews and benchmarks.

As for me, I have a QNAP that works quite well with all three OS and I would imagine that Synology and Thecus too would be fair candidates.

What NAS is most UNIX geek friendly (I don't want to flash other firmware)? SSH-Access and option to install tools?

What NAS offers the administrator most configuration options?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
What NAS is most UNIX geek friendly (I don't want to flash other firmware)? SSH-Access and option to install tools?

What NAS offers the administrator most configuration options?

I like Synology. DSM is their flavor of Linux. The lower cost units are ARM based and offer low power consumption but you can't simply install x86 Linux binaries (like Plex) and expect them to work. The higher cost units are Intel based and can do pretty much anything a Linux based PC can do. I have the "J" series lower cost units because they also consume less power. 6 watts standby and 18 watts active. Much less than a Linux PC would use.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Any real user experience on products from Western Digital, Lacie and Buffalo? I want a system that is compatible with Mac OS, Windows 7 64-bit, Linux. It would be good if it is compatible with Android phone as well. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.