Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

analog guy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
Normally when I sell on ebay, I charge a processing fee that is part of my shipping charges. For instance, I'll tell it to calculate shipping based on UPS ground, then add $3 as my handling fee on a modest priced item. This almost sort of covers ebay and paypal's fees.

buyers factor this in and reduce the price they will pay.

i've been selling on ebay for years and have experimented a ton--people tend to overestimate the value of "free shipping" and will pay more than they would if shipping is an extra charge.

(i.e., they might pay $50 for an item with free shipping or $42 for an item with a $5 shipping charge.)

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
buyers factor this in and reduce the price they will pay.

i've been selling on ebay for years and have experimented a ton--people tend to overestimate the value of "free shipping" and will pay more than they would if shipping is an extra charge.

(i.e., they might pay $50 for an item with free shipping or $42 for an item with a $5 shipping charge.)

A similar thing happens on Amazon. I always compare the "Prime" price to pricing on other sites to see how much Amazon is tacking on for "free Prime shipping." Quite often it is outrageous.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
Ebay is safer then craigslist and easier. You don't have to meet anyone. You list something up and can see a realistic price for your item. Sucks they take 15+% away but hey price of doing business. You don't have some ***** offering you 200 bucks for something that even used is 600. You won't get robbed by someone when you go make the exchange. If you don't live in a big city then you don't have to meet anyone any place to give them the item where they might or might not show up.

Crappy thing about ebay is you pay them then you have to pay paypal their cut.

I sell a ton online for me its Craigslist(I am in Boston and its amazing here), Amazon then ebay. Amazon fees are around the same but if the customer doesn't like something they always always take the customers side no matter how stupid they customer is. I sold a old Halo Red Spartan toy on Amazon and a person wanted a refund because he wasn't green like the main character. Its like can't you read and didn't you see the 5 pictures I posted

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I wanted to buy a replacement phone for my wife a few years ago and found it on ebay for $90 but on craigslist for $50. I called the guy and he asked me to meet him at a Walmart in Dearborn. I went to the bank to take out the money and got ready to head down there when he called to tell me he didn't mean inside the store but outside in the parking lot. In the dark. And then he wanted to know what kind of car I drove. I told him my car says "State Police" on the side, hung up and went home and bought the phone off ebay!

The following week there was guy murdered in the Detroit area trying to buy a phone on craigslist. I mean it's just a friggin' phone! Is it worth being hurt or killed to save a few bucks? For those still pondering this deep question about it the answer is no.

I'm not saying never use CL. I'm saying if the other party doesn't want to meet you in the daylight in a bank or other public place simply walk away and ignore them. They aren't worth dealing with.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Had one buyer that wouldn't pay, but it was nothing a non-paying buyer report couldn't fix quickly. 19 years, 1600 sales and that had been the only hiccup.

JohnPi314

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2014
California
I havent sold on ebay in a very long time i just sold some software i didn't need. check the figures below. paypal is owned by ebay

$44.00 - final sold price
$-3.58 - ebay commission
$-1.58 - paypal commission
$-2.97 - shipping costs

$35.87 - net profit

that means for something i sold for only $44, I lost $8.13!! What a ripoff

I agree. Have you tried selling on Amazon? Fees are better, and they will fulfill the orders for you once you send the items off to them.

----------

I but outside in the parking lot. In the dark. And then he wanted to know what kind of car I drove. I told him my car says "State Police" on the side, hung up and went home and bought the phone off ebay!

lol. good on you...

ebaysucks16

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2016
NOT ONLY THAT, IF THE BUYER IS ********, THEY RETURN USING EBAY'S PROTECTION AND ARE NOT HELD ACCOUNTABLE WHEN THEY RETURN A DAMAGED ITEM!
[doublepost=1455908073][/doublepost]
NOT ONLY THAT, IF THE BUYER IS ********, THEY RETURN USING EBAY'S PROTECTION AND ARE NOT HELD ACCOUNTABLE WHEN THEY RETURN A DAMAGED ITEM!

THEN YOUR OUT ALL THE MONEY AND THE PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

betterwithred

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2016
troy, MT
I havent sold on ebay in a very long time i just sold some software i didn't need. check the figures below. paypal is owned by ebay

$-3.58 - ebay commission
$-2.97 - shipping costs

$35.87 - net profit

Sellers HATE ebay. They only (many) crawl back when all other selling venues (online) have sickeningly failed. Etsy and a
couple (maybe just one at that) others have traffic but not the cyclone of ebay. For stuff that really has no dignity selling for less than half of its worth I don't use ebay, no way.

I watch and study prices vs. incoming Watchers, sales and like trends in my ebay corner. I see certain constants but listing for impossibly low doesn't always reel 'em in. No, ebay won't cut you off- fire you- if you don't bring in enough dough for their corporation.

Paypal? Now they ARE withholding earnings, even past the date they presage they will dispense. So why should folks trust them either, or trust then when they don't trust people who are obviously "honest" ?

As a seller, its plain tough gristle to find and glorify a real ebay alternative. This slimy monster has incredible pull and gravity over online commerce. Sorry. Fees are a part of being pimped out by the big guy. There's ways to somehow balance your end of the scale, but as far as ebay, I've fully surrendered.

[doublepost=1465948734][/doublepost]

$-3.58 - ebay commission
$-2.97 - shipping costs

$35.87 - net profit

Sellers HATE ebay. They only (many) crawl back when all other selling venues (online) have sickeningly failed. Etsy and a
couple (maybe just one at that) others have traffic but not the cyclone of ebay. For stuff that really has no dignity selling for less than half of its worth I don't use ebay, no way.

I watch and study prices vs. incoming Watchers, sales and like trends in my ebay corner. I see certain constants but listing for impossibly low doesn't always reel 'em in. No, ebay won't cut you off- fire you- if you don't bring in enough dough for their corporation.

Paypal? Now they ARE withholding earnings, even past the date they presage they will dispense. So why should folks trust them either, or trust then when they don't trust people who are obviously "honest" ?

As a seller, its plain tough gristle to find and glorify a real ebay alternative. This slimy monster has incredible pull and gravity over online commerce. Sorry. Fees are a part of being pimped out by the big guy. There's ways to somehow balance your end of the scale, but as far as ebay, I've fully surrendered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.