Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

webs2slow4me

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2008
Hello all. I'm looking to purchase an apple laptop in the next few months and I had a question about the air: can it play high quality 4K video on an external display without lag, issues, etc? I'm not talking about editing, just playback.

Thanks!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Well... let's do some math, because I'm not too sure without seeing it first hand.

The 2012's and later support up to two Thunderbolt displays (source). The resolution of one TBD is 2560x1440. So two of them would mean 7,372,800 pixels.

4k display resolutions vary, but let's go with Digital Cinema Initiative's of 4096x2160. That's 8,847,360 pixels.

The numbers are close (17% difference), but the MacBook Air (definitely the 2013's, at least) should be able to support 4k resolutions just fine!

However! I'm not sure off the top of my head if the current Thunderbolt chip in the 2013 MacBook Air's support 4k output. That might be a Thunderbolt 2.0 (a.k.a. DisplayPort 1.2) feature =\

EDIT: Fixed some math because I'm dumb

Last edited:

mfram

Contributor
Jan 23, 2010
San Diego, CA USA
There can't be any experience because there aren't any consumer 4K displays available. And even if there were, the Thunderbolt port in the MBA won't support 4K anyway. The first time we're likely to see any 4K display support on the Mac is with the upcoming Mac Pro.

The Tech Specs on the MBA page for graphics clearly state:

Intel HD Graphics 5000
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

webs2slow4me

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 18, 2008
There can't be any experience because there aren't any consumer 4K displays available. And even if there were, the Thunderbolt port in the MBA won't support 4K anyway. The first time we're likely to see any 4K display support on the Mac is with the upcoming Mac Pro.

The Tech Specs on the MBA page for graphics clearly state:

Intel HD Graphics 5000
Dual display and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors

Here are consumer 4k TVs if you want to buy them. =)

http://store.sony.com/c/S_4KTV/en/c/S_4KTV#!/forum/1372633370-871-270

I realize that it wouldn't natively support 4k, but I've heard people say that it's possible to make it work. I just don't know for sure.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The HD4000 GPU supports 4k video.

The HD5000 is better than that.

edit:
No idea on the thunderbolt limitations, but that's going to be true for all apple laptops. The GPU is strong enough though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.