Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
I've been thinking about applying a screen protector for my iphone or just leave the phone naked.. What do u guys think?

You have successfully uncovered the vast array of options...screen protector or no screen protector. Surely you can pick one.

whoRichard

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2012
If anyone is worried about scratching your phone but doesn't want to throw a screen protector because they destroy the quality of the beautiful screen, look no further than the Spigen Glas.t/Glas.tr. My girlfriend and I both feel that the touch of the screen protector on the phone feels much nicer than the naked phone. Plus you CANNOT tell this thing is on if your install is clean. I LOVE IT.

alexponential

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I'm not the type of person to be careless with my phone and drop it/get scratches on it all of the time, but I still go for the screen protector. You never know when something might brush up against your phone and give it a nice little scratch, not to mention inside of your pocket. I had a screen protector on my iPhone 4 the entire time I had it and by the time I sold it last week the protector had it's fair share of small scratches that would have probably ended up on the actual phone screen, thus detracting from the great price I was able to sell it for.

eoren1

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
I used to doubt those going for screen protectors until I grabbed my wife's iPhone 5 out of her purse and saw a quite noticeable scratch across the front glass. About 2mm long. Never dropped but kept in a Switcheasy case in her purse with keys, etc. screen protector was on it in less than an hour. Really disappointed to see that scratch.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I've been thinking about applying a screen protector for my iphone or just leave the phone naked.. What do u guys think?

You would only NEED one, depending on how you use/abuse your iPhone.

I had a PowerSupport clear on my 3G for a year. But then I went without one for the 3GS, 4 and 4S, and now the 5. No scratches at all. I do use a case for the sides and back, however.

I don't toss my phones, keep them in my front pants pocket. I'm careful not to let keys or rub dirt, etc on the screen. It is in perfect condition.

Stick on screen protectors can be hard to put on straight, or with no air bubbles, and that bothers me more. PLUS, they do accumulate oils worse than the oleophobic iPhone screen, and the extra layer of 'plastic' does gives a bit of reflection and dullness, compared to the bare screen. HOWEVER, it is very easy to get use to that, so it is not a killer for everyone.

Here is my solution. Moshi iVisor It is a removable and reusable screen. It is also washable. Goes on easily without bubbles, EVER. Comes in Matte or Clear, and costs the same as a good one-use screen protector. $24.95 Works as well as my PowerSupport screen. I've spent more $$ on one time screens, since they bubble up, or I get tired of them.

I use the Moshi when I would need to: outdoor work, beach, or other situations. Then I can take it off the majority of my life in the office, etc. EASY to remove (a piece of tape). I keep in my briefcase as needed.

The Beach is a big one: Sand is quartz (ie glass) and it will scratch any glass (Gorilla) screen (and eyeglasses). I believe that it is dirt (which can have ground quartz) in pockets and shirts, or on tables, that cause the majority of scratches. Plus beach suntan oils on hands get on the screen. I use the AG one, because it is anti glare. The clear is XT.

You can buy them online at the link above, or the ATT stores have a good supply too. Comes in white or black.

In the end it is your decision...this solution takes some of the angst out of that choice...you can change as you like.

PS. If you are a women and throw your phone in a purse, I would use a screen protector. Same with diamond earrings: they will scratch the screen.

Attachments

• ivisorxt_b_1_1.jpg
    ivisorxt_b_1_1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
It's a subjecive matter just as it is with any device. If you just want opinions there are countless screen protector threads that you can refer to. Do whatever works for you.

jomarr

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
(Sorry for the bumps I recently just got an iPhone and is searching some random things about it)

Well based on my experience with my 4th gen iPod touch, the screen doesn't really scratch. I never have gotten it a screen protector and it was scratch free till the day I sold it. I probably would go naked for the screen but for the back, I'm going to buy it a case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.