Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Hello,

I ordered an rMBP and will be creating a Windows 7 partition on it. I will have my 2010 MBP (obviously with a disc drive; running Lion) at the same time, when it arrives.

I'm following this guide (http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-install-windows-7-on-a-macbook-pro-with-retina-display) for the install. It runs through how to do the install on a rMBP with assistance of an external SuperDrive. Since I don't wish to pay the $80 for a Superdrive I'll only use once, I figured I could modify the first step in the guide by using this 2010 MBP.

There are 5 steps in the guide; I don't foresee any issues with the last 4 steps. My question/problem pertains to just Step 1--also the only step I can do for now until the rMBP arrives.

It says to create a Windows 7 ISO using the external SuperDrive connected to the rMBP. So, instead, I created the ISO using my 2010 MBP. Then it says:

After creating the image, you have to copy it to a USB stick that’s at least 4GB in size. However, you simply can’t drag and drop it; you have to create a bootable image. In the Boot Camp Manager, select the option to copy it to a USB drive.​

That is where I'm stumped. I see no such option in my 2010 MBP's Boot Camp Assistant to "copy [the ISO] to a USB drive."

Am I overlooking something or is something in the guide amiss?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe only the Boot Camp Assistant included in the rMBP has that additional option ("Create a Windows 7 install disk. You need a USB flash drive and a Windows 7 ISO image.), which you can see in this image from the guide:

BCA-start.jpg

If that is the reason for this discrepancy, presumably I can just take the non-bootable Windows 7 ISO I've already created in my 2010 MBP, transfer it to a flash drive, plug the flash into the rMBP, transfer the ISO off the flash drive onto the rMBP internal, and then the "Create a Windows 7 install disk" will create that bootable ISO in the rMBP?

Thank you for any help.

Mikewh

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Hello,

I ordered an rMBP and will be creating a Windows 7 partition on it. I will have my 2010 MBP (obviously with a disc drive; running Lion) at the same time, when it arrives.

I'm following this guide (http://blog.laptopmag.com/how-to-install-windows-7-on-a-macbook-pro-with-retina-display) for the install. It runs through how to do the install on a rMBP with assistance of an external SuperDrive. Since I don't wish to pay the $80 for a Superdrive I'll only use once, I figured I could modify the first step in the guide by using this 2010 MBP.

There are 5 steps in the guide; I don't foresee any issues with the last 4 steps. My question/problem pertains to just Step 1--also the only step I can do for now until the rMBP arrives.

It says to create a Windows 7 ISO using the external SuperDrive connected to the rMBP. So, instead, I created the ISO using my 2010 MBP. Then it says:

After creating the image, you have to copy it to a USB stick that’s at least 4GB in size. However, you simply can’t drag and drop it; you have to create a bootable image. In the Boot Camp Manager, select the option to copy it to a USB drive.​

That is where I'm stumped. I see no such option in my 2010 MBP's Boot Camp Assistant to "copy [the ISO] to a USB drive."

Am I overlooking something or is something in the guide amiss?

The only thing I can think of is that maybe only the Boot Camp Assistant included in the rMBP has that additional option ("Create a Windows 7 install disk. You need a USB flash drive and a Windows 7 ISO image.), which you can see in this image from the guide:

If that is the reason for this discrepancy, presumably I can just take the non-bootable Windows 7 ISO I've already created in my 2010 MBP, transfer it to a flash drive, plug the flash into the rMBP, transfer the ISO off the flash drive onto the rMBP internal, and then the "Create a Windows 7 install disk" will create that bootable ISO in the rMBP?

Thank you for any help.

Bootcamp is super easy on rMBP. No external apple slimdrive needed. All that is needed is a windows 7 install iso, thumb drive, and the utility will do the rest.

mw

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
Bootcamp is super easy on rMBP. No external apple slimdrive needed. All that is needed is a windows 7 install iso, thumb drive, and the utility will do the rest.

mw

That wasn't my experience, I ended up having to use the original DVD and waiting ages to download the support files...

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009

I ended up having to use the original DVD

Did you both see the "Create a Windows 7 install disk" option in your rMBP's Boot Camp Assistant so you could make a bootable ISO? I'm running Lion on my 2010 MBP, so perhaps it could also be a Lion vs Mountain Lion issue.

Thanks.

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Or could it be an option available even prior to the rMBP. Is that "Create a Windows 7 install disk" in Mountain Lion in general or more even more recent (2011 and on) laptops?

Last edited:

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
For anyone who may also be hoping to save spending $80 on a one-time use external SuperDrive: Was told in a OSX channel in IRC that they believe the "Create a Windows 7 install disk" is only available on the rMBP. So if you just move the Windows ISO from the computer you created it on, onto the flash drive, plug it into the rMBP, move the ISO on the desktop, then your USB will be free to create a bootable Windows 7 ISO with the "Create a Windows 7 install disk" option.

I'll be able to test it for sure in a few days when my rMBP arrives.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
For anyone who may also be hoping to save spending $80 on a one-time use external SuperDrive: Was told in a OSX channel in IRC that they believe the "Create a Windows 7 install disk" is only available on the rMBP. So if you just move the Windows ISO from the computer you created it on, onto the flash drive, plug it into the rMBP, move the ISO on the desktop, then your USB will be free to create a bootable Windows 7 ISO with the "Create a Windows 7 install disk" option.

I didn't hack anything.

Also works for Windows 8 (and the resulting Win 8 drive will even boot from EFI, though it's a bit buggy)

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks for sharing the screenshots.

To be clear, since you didn't specify, those were taken from your rMBP?

Yes, they're taken from my rMBP. I'm running Mountain Lion if that makes a difference.

If you click on the images, they should be full resolution - which should show you it's on a retina size (since the images are freaking huge lol)

Libertine Lush

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 23, 2009
Yes, they're taken from my rMBP. I'm running Mountain Lion if that makes a difference.

If you click on the images, they should be full resolution - which should show you it's on a retina size (since the images are freaking huge lol)

Ah, lol. Thanks.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

This is exactly what i did. You can get a windows 7/8 iso from anywhere and then create an install from that iso.

However you should get a 8 gig flash drive eventhough it say 4g is enough.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
with windows 8, I kept running out of space when I would include the drivers on the flash drive with a 4 gig.

so I needed to do the install and then separately get the windows drivers.

Well, it's an inconvenience, but if you've already got a 4GB drive on hand and don't have anything larger at that moment, it's better than nothing.

If you have to buy one... then yeah, 8GB+ is the way to go since even 8GB is like $5 these days.

IdeoREX

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
Your Bootable USB drive could not be created

Hi guys,
I've been having way too much trouble getting windows on my retina MBP. First, this is all legit copies of programs (Windows is free at UC Berkeley). Can anyone help me make an Install USB disk? here are my screen shots leading to my error

qchg685v5

vrq676xf5

tvswt4lwz

go8lgu0fl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.