Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
I did like the negative down voting, it helped getting people in check.
What should be added is way to positively vote up member contribution, like when the comment or post is actually good, or helped giving a solution, therefore the positive votes are part of the member status, and those who really make positive contributions get the rank.
And those with the rank can be allowed to post a thread that has a minimum requirement for posting, therefore the non qualified members can only read but not write on the thread unless they qualify.
However it cripples the whole objective of the forum?

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
(Thought this was something to do with Veteran's Day...) :p

I've been here at MacRumors for over 10 years, but I don't spend hours upon hours answering and posting questions. Post count means nothing. It would be nice to have some sort of answer ranking or "kudos" ratings for answered posts.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Well, you could always invite your elderly friends via PM into one of the rather hidden and less frequented paradise gardens of MR. e.g. the MacPro sub-forum.

But BYOB!

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
Well, you could always invite your elderly friends via PM into one of the rather hidden and less frequented paradise gardens of MR. e.g. the MacPro sub-forum.

But BYOB!

What, to hear all those "Back in my day stories...?" Fat chance. But good try! Now if you're bringing the beer, well, that's a different story. One to which I'd probably listen. :D

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
What, to hear all those "Back in my day stories...?" Fat chance. But good try! Now if you're bringing the beer, well, that's a different story. One to which I'd probably listen. :D

What did you get that blue badge for? :D

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012

Tilpots

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2006
Carolina Beach, NC
:D congrats! But mentioning the fabulous MR Fantasy Football League brings up some really painful memories, mate! Wait, I'd go and get a six pack, let's meet at Distributed Computing in 5 mins?
We have some drinking to do! Sorry, but only if your old enough, though.

You're faring much better in the league, so you bring that sixer and I'll listen to all your stories.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
You're faring much better in the league, so you bring that sixer and I'll listen to all your stories.

That'll make you a very long time lurker then, I guess. And yup, once you've touched the golden spot, you never want to miss it again. Just like the vets-thread probably.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
A few well considered posts beats any amount of verbal spam.

I was a contributor for a couple of years, and yes, the contributor-only form is pretty much exactly what the OP suggested, and what has been joked about in this thread.

However, there's far fewer contributors than MR members, so if you want ring-a-ding then 'out there' in the open forums is where it's at.

I read MR far less than I used to - a combination of

- less patience,
- growing technical knowledge about macs, so uninformed comments are more annoying
- or just having wider interests now.

Ars Technica has some good forums - both in front-page comments and in the Macintoshian Achaia [how's that for a forum name to deter stupid posters?]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.