Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dimme

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 14, 2007
SF, CA
After 2 plus years of work I am coming to the end of archiving my late father's family photo collection. It is about 8000 plus photos. They are already up on flicker for the family to view. But I also would like to send out the collection as jpegs so some of my Dad's grand kids can preserve the images for future generations. As jpegs the collection is a bit under 30GB, I was thinking of our hinging some 32GB flash drives and sending them out to about 5 family members to Either keep or pass around, to make copies. I have two questions...
1 I know no digital media last for ever but for the foreseeable future is NTFS for mater flash drives the best medium for a collection of this size.
2 Is there a way to setup the drive so the photos will not be accidentally deleted.

I will of course be keeping the master tif files and also the flicker copy's . Plus all my photography is backed up on site plus on crashplan.

I welcome any comments
Thanks

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
1 I know no digital media last for ever but for the foreseeable future is NTFS

I think you mean "FAT" not NTFS. ntfs is a for MS Windows only. Almost all flash thumb drives and memory cards are FAT formatted.

You could use SD cards. These have a physical write-lock that you slide and if left that way prevents writes. I think you can remove the little tab and no one would ever be able to write to the device again.

You could burn the images to a set of data DVDs but that would take a bunch of your time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.