Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kelsuek

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
please help

I have a MacBook Pro 15inch bought last year. I have the grey screen with the apple sign and the spinning wheel but nothing is happening. I know nothing about computers and need some assistance.

DanielCoffey

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2010
Edinburgh, UK
Are you still under AppleCare? If so, take it in.

You may also get more replies posting in the MacBOOK Pro forum as this is the Mac Pro Desktop forum.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
please help

I have a MacBook Pro 15inch bought last year. I have the grey screen with the apple sign and the spinning wheel but nothing is happening. I know nothing about computers and need some assistance.

Some things to try prior to returning it to Apple:

1) Boot the Mac whilst holding down the OPTION key. You should then have access to Disk Utility. If so, try a Disk Verification, Disk Permissions Repair in that order.

2) If not, and you can't get it to boot that way, try again this time holding down the CMD + R keys on boot. This will enable internet recovery and offer to re-insatll OSX fro you via your internet connection.

Remember that your data is at risk here too. Hopefully option one will get you up and running long enough to copy off personal info etc. If it does try running the Apple Hardware Tests and see what they report:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH4510?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

zylkalt

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2013
Hard Drive cable replacement sorted mine problem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSWQ-Vmumjk

We got this problem with our Mac Book Pro 15" (mid 2009) one day it went to sleep and it never woke up. :) We switched it OFF and back ON, a grey screen we the apple logo and a spinning (loading) wheel appears and stays on the screen. I looked at the forums and made a assumption that something was wrong with the Hard Drive. I got mac installation Disk and tried to reinstall OS, my suspicion about the Hard Drive was confirmed when in installation Mac OS would not see a Hard Drive to which install new copy of OS.
Went back to the forums and researched that the problem could be a CABLE from main (mother) board to the Hard Drive. I removed the Hard Drive from Mac and luckily I have a cable for external connection of SATA 2.5 HDD so I was able to check it out if there is something wrong with my Hard Drive our like the people said internal Hard Drive cable. My Hard Drive worked fine in external way. So next step i needed to do was to get replacement cable. I took part number of my old internal cable, Google 'd the part number found one on Ebay.com order it for €27 something got it online and here you see how i have replaced it and got my problem solved.

ClintonHarris

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2014
Ram

While this may not be your issue, Ibhadva similar problem last week with my 2011 MacBook Pro and it was aRAM chip gone bad. Once replace, it booted up fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.