Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
This would hold so much more weight if you actually provided some details.
To your original complaints, I see less spam and scams being ran on this site than many others I frequent. Spam posts are generally nailed before I even get to click and reply with something snarky.

Agreed. When I report spam, it is generally taken care of pretty fast. At least things aren't so bad here that they are eliminating anonymous commenting like Huff Po is doing.

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
True. What's bad moderation to some is perfectly acceptable to others. I've been toed and warned; looking back, I've deserved some and some were, to me, beyond ridiculous. The banning of a certainlong time member (I know the details through shared messages) was way too harsh for me. I guess you can say though that the combined negative experiences of many members do equal bad moderation as long as its truly negative experiences and not just sour grapes. ;)

I don't know the details of that one but I question it too

tonie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
There was a scam case in the FS forum and couple members including myself had reported to the mod and they didn't take action until a month and a half later. People been doing auction in the for sale forum and the moderators don't seem to care. If you are going to take upon the moderator title then you should put some effort in patrolling the forums. Just because it's volunteer doesn't mean you should slack off. If you feel like you can't patrol the forums then don't accept the position, simple as that.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Where are all the moderators? This forum seriously need to promote some moderators because there are scammers and spammers everywhere even after reported.

In hiding. Waiting to stealthily wield the ban-hammer when the time is right.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
There was a scam case in the FS forum and couple members including myself had reported to the mod and they didn't take action until a month and a half later. People been doing auction in the for sale forum and the moderators don't seem to care. If you are going to take upon the moderator title then you should put some effort in patrolling the forums. Just because it's volunteer doesn't mean you should slack off. If you feel like you can't patrol the forums then don't accept the position, simple as that.

Any accusations of scams or Marketplace deals gone bad involve a lot of investigation on our part, which takes time. We don't moderate based on serious accusations such as this type without really looking into it, and that can't be done immediately. What appears to you to be "not acting" actually involves quite a bit of action.

Even though the Forum Rules specify that members make deals at their own risk, we do what we can to help clear up the mess when a deal goes wrong (and they are often cleared up). These cases are time-consuming, there's no way around that.

MacRumors does not and cannot evaluate sales, items, sellers, buyers, or prices. These rules are intended to maintain order and to assist, rather than impede, personal sales and trades among forum members, but cannot ensure that every offer is legitimate or fairly priced. MacRumors is not responsible for the actions of forum members in carrying out the terms of sales, purchases, and trades.

So I'd say the enormous amount of time these cases tend to take, time which we do spend despite the disclaimer I've quoted above, and time that takes away from dealing with other forum business, could hardly be called "slacking".

But you are of course free to use other sites for your buying/selling needs. That's not the focus of MR, something that's also clearly stated in the rules.

There are other websites more specifically devoted to buying, selling, and trading computer equipment, and to tracking buyer/seller reputations. The reason we have our own Marketplace is that it provides more focus on Apple products and is convenient for members who have had opportunities to learn to know each other.

tonie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Any accusations of scams or Marketplace deals gone bad involve a lot of investigation on our part, which takes time. We don't moderate based on serious accusations such as this type without really looking into it, and that can't be done immediately. What appears to you to be "not acting" actually involves quite a bit of action.

Even though the Forum Rules specify that members make deals at their own risk, we do what we can to help clear up the mess when a deal goes wrong (and they are often cleared up). These cases are time-consuming, there's no way around that.

So I'd say the enormous amount of time these cases tend to take, time which we do spend despite the disclaimer I've quoted above, and time that takes away from dealing with other forum business, could hardly be called "slacking".

But you are of course free to use other sites for your buying/selling needs. That's not the focus of MR, something that's also clearly stated in the rules.

Really? It seems like excuses to me. When did you ever investigate in a problem here in this forum? There's a scammer roaming freely and you guys don't seem to give a crap about what's going on. If you can't take on the responsibilities then don't volunteer at all. This goes for all the mods. BTW, there seem to be many people complaining about their posts being deleted. If you are deleting their thread at least PM them or state the reason why it's being deleted.

It's funny how you guys act quickly when there's a post about you guys and shy away when there's a problem.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
I'd like to chime in here. I hate spam, hate it I say! I hate it so much that I consider removing spam, and banning the useless spammers, a personal vendetta. I will go waaaay out of my way to report spam and I keep the Forum spy and New Posts pages active in my web browser.

Sometimes it's not as simple as a one touch ban and clean, sometimes further investigation is needed. And, for this investigation period it's sometimes beneficial to wait until the investigation is complete before "pulling the trigger".

I have served in admin and moderator roles on other forums and I feel the admins/mods here are doing a very good job given the amount of traffic this site attracts.

Just my $0.02.

tonie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
I'd like to chime in here. I hate spam, hate it I say! I hate it so much that I consider removing spam, and banning the useless spammers, a personal vendetta. I will go waaaay out of my way to report spam and I keep the Forum spy and New Posts pages active in my web browser.

Sometimes it's not as simple as a one touch ban and clean, sometimes further investigation is needed. And, for this investigation period it's sometimes beneficial to wait until the investigation is complete before "pulling the trigger".

I have served in admin and moderator roles on other forums and I feel the admins/mods here are doing a very good job given the amount of traffic this site attracts.

Just my $0.02.

I definitely understand but check this thread out.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1695262/

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014

I tried to read that thread, but was not allowed:
"ardchoille42, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. The Most Common Reason: You have not activated your account by clicking on the link in the email that was sent to you when you reigstered. This must be done to activate your account. If you would like the activation email resent, click here. If you would like to change your email address that you registered with, click here.

2. You might be trying to post in a restricted forum. Users can't create new threads in MacRumors News Discussion forum or other "official" forums. Please find the appropriate forum for your topic and post there. Marketplace and Political forums have a minimum post requirement.

3. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you still don't see a reason, read the FAQ for more details.
"

I feel these forums shouldn't have these types of limits if users are above 100 or so posts. Not only does it give the appearance of favoritism, but it limits the number of eyes that can catch spammers and bad posts. Maybe more spam could be caught if active reporters like me were allowed to view all posts?

:(

Last edited by a moderator:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
"ardchoille42, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:..."

I feel these forums shouldn't have these types of limits if users are above 100 or so posts. Not only does it give the appearance of favoritism, but it limits the number of eyes that can catch spammers and bad posts. Maybe more spam could be caught if active reporters like me were allowed to view all posts?

The link that was posted was to a thread in the MacRumors Marketplace, which isn't available to all members.

Marketplace Rules - Mac Guides
Before you can access the Marketplace forum, you need a minimum post count of 250, as displayed in your User Profile, and you must have been a MacRumors member for at least 180 days (about 6 months). If you start a "for sale" thread or make other Marketplace-type posts in another forum to avoid the minimum requirements, your thread/posts will be deleted.
This may answer some questions about the policy: Announcement: Major changes for the Marketplace forum

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
The link that was posted was to a thread in the MacRumors Marketplace, which isn't available to all members.

Marketplace Rules - Mac Guides This may answer some questions about the policy: Announcement: Major changes for the Marketplace forum

I understand the reason, though I disagree with it whole-heartedly, but that doesn't change the fact that fewer eyes allowed in any area can mean longer times that spam is allowed to remain - if it's reported at all. Sometimes privileged people tend to feel too "privileged" to do any grunt work.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I understand the reason, though I disagree with it whole-heartedly, but that doesn't change the fact that fewer eyes allowed in any area can mean longer times between reports and removals - if they're reported at all. Sometimes privileged people tend to feel too "privileged" to do any grunt work.

Let me suggest that as one of the "privileged", by dint of having run my mouth with some frequency (if not productively, just frequently:p), I have become more and more active in sending Post Reports over time, rather than less active.

Those who have been around for a while, and enjoyed learning and posting on MR, are more likely, IMO, rather than less, to want the Forum to a pleasant, interesting, and civil place to spend time.

Since I cannot back up my opinion with any facts about who are the most likely to help the Moderation team in their difficult task...take my observation for what it is worth.

As far as the Marketplace Rules go...it is my understanding that the idea is to require those posting there to have demonstrated some ongoing interest and commitment, if you will, to the Forum. Do scams occur? I'm sure that they do, on occasion. But the restrictions placed on Marketplace participation are an attempt to ensure, as much as is reasonably possible, that what transpires on that sub forum is honest and aboveboard.

I hope that my disagreement with your position has not given offense...none was intended.:D

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Let me suggest that as one of the "privileged", by dint of having run my mouth with some frequency (if not productively, just frequently:p), I have become more and more active in sending Post Reports over time, rather than less active.

Those who have been around for a while, and enjoyed learning and posting on MR, are more likely, IMO, rather than less, to want the Forum to a pleasant, interesting, and civil place to spend time.

Since I cannot back up my opinion with any facts about who are the most likely to help the Moderation team in their difficult task...take my observation for what it is worth.

As far as the Marketplace Rules go...it is my understanding that the idea is to require those posting there to have demonstrated some ongoing interest and commitment, if you will, to the Forum. Do scams occur? I'm sure that they do, on occasion. But the restrictions placed on Marketplace participation are an attempt to ensure, as much as is reasonably possible, that what transpires on that sub forum is honest and aboveboard.

I hope that my disagreement with your position has not given offense...none was intended.:D

I see no possible way offense could be derived from your post, good points are what I see there and I thank you for your input.

Though I still feel some of the limits in these forums are unnecessarily high.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Really? It seems like excuses to me. When did you ever investigate in a problem here in this forum?

Since details of moderation regarding other members is always done in private, neither she, nor anyone on the moderation staff can, nor will answer this question.

There's a scammer roaming freely and you guys don't seem to give a crap about what's going on. If you can't take on the responsibilities then don't volunteer at all. This goes for all the mods. BTW, there seem to be many people complaining about their posts being deleted. If you are deleting their thread at least PM them or state the reason why it's being deleted.

I am really sorry you feel that way about the Moderation and Admin staff on MacRumors. Many of them spend more time on this site putting out fires on here, than they do with their other hobbies or personal interests. Since Moderating isn't a paid position on MacRumors, I personally feel your expectations of the team are unrealistic, and quite frankly, unfair.

As Ann referenced in her post, we do take reports of scams quite seriously, and deal with them as we gather information from people reporting them. Keep in mind that it is quite seldom that a moderator will act alone in such situations, and we rely on corroboration between members of the moderator and admin staff before a decision is made. That does, and will continue to take time as we endeavor to take both sides of the story into consideration before making a decision.

If you have reasonable suggestions on how we can streamline our rules, or the process, please pass them on using Contact us, or this section of the forum.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
fewer eyes allowed in any area can mean longer times that spam is allowed to remain - if it's reported at all.

MOD NOTE:
FWIW we're really not concerned with spam in the Marketplace. As cited in the Marketplace Rules and echoed by Shrink, people who earn the right to post in Marketplace generally want to be here and very few spammers will wait 6 months and 250 posts to drop their payload.

We do however monitor the Marketplace for all other violations of the Forum or Marketplace Rules.

When did you ever investigate in a problem here in this forum?
I'm actually more than a bit offended by this, since we mods and admins of this forum are constantly investigating and discussing problems on the forum, and annk is a core member of that team. There's rarely a time when I visit and find no ongoing investigation or controversy in the back rooms.

The discussions and investigations can be asynchronous and take a long time to resolve since we cover many time zones.

B

Last edited:

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014

MOD NOTE:
FWIW we're really not concerned with spam in the Marketplace. As cited in the Marketplace Rules and echoed by Shrink, people who earn the right to post in Marketplace generally want to be here and very few spammers will wait 6 months and 250 posts to drop their payload.

We do however monitor the Marketplace for all other violations of the Forum or Marketplace Rules

Thank you very much, I stand corrected.

tonie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
So it has been weeks and I don't understand why JOSE891 still can be actively on this forum. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the guy scammed another member. All it takes is couple of PM's. I understand sometimes it's best to discuss with another mod/s but you guys need to come to your own judgement and conclusion instead of depends on other mods. This is not a waiting game and if you can't judge for yourself then might as well abdicate from your position. Promote more admins/mods if you need to.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Really? It seems like excuses to me. When did you ever investigate in a problem here in this forum? There's a scammer roaming freely and you guys don't seem to give a crap about what's going on. If you can't take on the responsibilities then don't volunteer at all. This goes for all the mods. BTW, there seem to be many people complaining about their posts being deleted. If you are deleting their thread at least PM them or state the reason why it's being deleted.

It's funny how you guys act quickly when there's a post about you guys and shy away when there's a problem.
Welcome to replied to someone from 2013 in your own thread ;)

The member has not been remove because prob it's here one of the few places and pms that the other member can or could use to get it resolved.

"ardchoille42, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

1. The Most Common Reason: You have not activated your account by clicking on the link in the email that was sent to you when you reigstered. This must be done to activate your account. If you would like the activation email resent, click here. If you would like to change your email address that you registered with, click here.

2. You might be trying to post in a restricted forum. Users can't create new threads in MacRumors News Discussion forum or other "official" forums. Please find the appropriate forum for your topic and post there. Marketplace and Political forums have a minimum post requirement.

3. Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?

If you still don't see a reason, read the FAQ for more details.
"

:(
You are a newb, you can't see the marketplace. If you don't know what is linked don't assume. It's a bad trade that happened.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
So it has been weeks and I don't understand why JOSE891 still can be actively on this forum. It doesn't take a genius to figure out the guy scammed another member. All it takes is couple of PM's. I understand sometimes it's best to discuss with another mod/s but you guys need to come to your own judgement and conclusion instead of depends on other mods. This is not a waiting game and if you can't judge for yourself then might as well abdicate from your position. Promote more admins/mods if you need to.

You're bringing up a specific case, and the privacy policy means that you're not going to get any more information about the specifics. Only those directly involved in a dispute are kept abreast of what's happening, and why.

You misunderstand how moderation works. It's not realistic for moderators - or even administrators in most cases - to go rogue, taking action and making decisions alone in complicated situations. Working as a team keeps things as fair and transparent as possible. In addition, we get the benefit of more than one set of eyes on each case. I understand your frustration, but it comes from not knowing details. I know from experience that this sort of thing looks easy until you have to do it.

Reading through your posts in this thread, it sounds like you simply don't believe the answers you're getting. That's your prerogative, but it doesn't really lend itself to any sort of constructive discussion. In the end, either you trust the moderators and administrators to do a good job, or you don't.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
In the end, either you trust the moderators and administrators to do a good job, or you don't.

We dont - only because there isn't more transparency.

JOSE891 - threads have been locked - a Mod or Admin should add a note to the end of the thread giving us no details but a statement of resolution. I don't expect this for the most recent thread of his that was locked - but I do expect it for the thread that happened a long time ago - at least a year ago. We (marketplace community) have no idea about the situation - are we vulnerable? O YEAH - why? We haven't been told anything by those who have been assigned to uphold justice and protect the forum member.

Every thread that is locked should ultimately have a statement of resolution.

Here is a example - could be worded much better :)

"This thread has been investigated by MacRumor Administrators & Moderators and we have determined that __________ (sellers name) or _________ (buyers name) has been banned / has been cleared / etc.

Otherwise were left hanging - the ONLY form of accountability used in the Marketplace forum is "FEEDBACK". (Other than the buyer/seller protection offered through the financial clearing house used in the transaction.)

UPDATE: the thread I was referencing that happened a year ago - it was Jan/Feb 1014 - https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1695262/

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
We dont - only because there isn't more transparency.

JOSE891 - threads have been locked - a Mod or Admin should add a note to the end of the thread giving us no details but a statement of resolution

That thread is locked with a moderator note that states its under review. It was locked this morning at 2:30am (my time). With our administrators and moderators from around the world, we need to give the team time to work on the issue.

----------

Every thread that is locked should ultimately have a statement of resolution.

Here is a example - could be worded much better :)

"This thread has been investigated by MacRumor Administrators & Moderators and we have determined that __________ (sellers name) or _________ (buyers name) has been banned / has been cleared / etc.

Otherwise were left hanging - the ONLY form of accountability used in the Marketplace forum is "FEEDBACK". (Other than the buyer/seller protection offered through the financial clearing house used in the transaction.)
Due to our privacy policy we are not at liberty to provide a highly detailed explanation on how we moderate other members. True, we certainly can some information and when I close a thread (and/or reopen it), I generally try to provide as much feedback as possible.

In the marketplace we also limit our discussions between the affected parties and generally do not broadcast the result of what was done behind the scenes in an effort to resolve the problem.

----------

Finally we also have the Welcome to the Marketplace forum. Post any feedback here. which is used to help buyers/sellers with regard to feedback.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I updated post after you started your reply. What about the thread that was locked in Jan/Feb still has not been updated. What was the resolution? We should have some statement by now from MacRumors.

My suggestion didn't ask for details - but rather a very simple statement from MacRumors on a conflict - this would help protect and serve justice in the marketplace forum. How is my example highly detailed?

----------

Finally we also have the Welcome to the Marketplace forum. Post any feedback here. which is used to help buyers/sellers with regard to feedback.

First post says not to post about individual transaction or forum members.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I updated post after you started your reply. What about the thread that was locked in Jan/Feb still has not been updated.
This is what Q, stated in that thread and I highlighted the pertinent portion. In essence its between the administrators and the affected party.

Curiosity and caution are both understandable. When requested, we communicate privately with the parties in disputed transactions. Posting details in the forums would lessen the chances of success and are not in keeping with the forum privacy policy. Although Marketplace deals are arranged individually and MacRumors isn't responsible for their success, we offer help when we can and want every transaction to be either completed successfully or completely reversed.

This thread was closed for now due to repeated rules violations by other forum members.

What was the resolution? We should have some statement by now from MacRumors.
As I stated previously and what Q posted in that thread, we are not at liberty to divulge any details of our interactions between the members.

First post says not to post about individual transaction or forum members.
you're right, my bad on suggesting this.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I tried to quote you - Mod - but I failed :(

anyways on to my post..

How would I go about requesting & suggesting a complete overhaul to how MacRumors handles issues in the "Marketplace" forum?

The current format appears to very unsafe and problematic.

MacRumors is self governing right? Therefore changes can be made by MacRumors especially when it would be in their best interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.