Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdubya5

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2009
So I noticed that the new iTunes 11 has a section for home Videos. I have previously added my home videos to the TV section so they will display on my Apple TV. So I added a few to the new section in iTunes 11 and was hoping to see a section in the computers app named home videos but didn't see anything.

Is anyone seeing videos under the home videos section in iTunes showing on their Apple TV?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
So I noticed that the new iTunes 11 has a section for home Videos. I have previously added my home videos to the TV section so they will display on my Apple TV. So I added a few to the new section in iTunes 11 and was hoping to see a section in the computers app named home videos but didn't see anything.

Is anyone seeing videos under the home videos section in iTunes showing on their Apple TV?
Yep...no special Home Movie section for the aTV. You have to go to Genre: Home Movies to isolate them. I am disappointed they did not make the aTV correlate more closely with iTunes 11. :(

aquaboy

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2011
UK
iPhoto's is where I Store my home movies, as photos n home movies should sit side by side and I play them via the photo section on atv.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Own content storage is a mess.

I think there should be ONE CENTRAL PLACE (or the option to handle it that way) for all media you create.

Then, all project files, edits etc done to your media should be stored in there as well.

I like how iPhoto and Aperture can share libraries, so you already have a kind of centralized approach for photos here, however, movies are a mess, you now have home videos in iTunes, iPhoto/Aperture and maybe some projects in Final Cut or iMovie.

To make things worse, you might have a nicely edited movie you'd like to sync via iTunes, but unless you actually create another big big storage hog an exported movie is and add it to say Aperture, there's no way to both sync your photos and say a couple of edited videos.

meh

Anyhow, I plan to use the home movies section for now for stuff I get from friends, so iTunes is constantly the place of all things coming TO me and not from me. :)
(Apart from photos people send me... Where do I put those logically? Aperture I actually tried to keep 100% to my photography and videos and I wanted to use iPhoto for that originally, too bad you cannot synch two programs with iPhone. Oh Jesus...)

Glassed Silver:mac

timskliu

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Home Videos is a new Media Kind

I just figured out that Home Video is a new option under Media Kind (e.g., Music Video, Movie, TV Show, Podcast, etc.).

First select the movie, File, Get Info, and then click on the Options tab.

The movie will then show up under the "Home Videos" tab in iTunes 11.

It's a cool way to keep regular movies separate from your home videos. I haven't tested to see where the home videos sync on an iOS device.

Attachments

• HomeVideo iTunes 11.PNG
    HomeVideo iTunes 11.PNG
    52.6 KB · Views: 180

bearcatrp

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2008
Boon Docks USA
I had to add them again so they would show up, When doing this, itunes moved the complete folder to the home movies. Itunes wouldn't let me move itunes downloaded movies when I tried it. Seems apple likes to mess with us to get the movies from apple instead of us ripping them. I won't be downloading digital copies anymore with apple playing around like this. I didn't think there was anything wrong with the previous version way of holding the movies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.