Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
You can put your sewage plant next to the upgraded water station and use filter pumps for unlimited water. Or up the water in the other two cities. When selling to other cities, the units are divided by total cities in the region. For example, if I have a city selling 100 units of something to the region, and theres 4 other cities, only 25 units will be available to each. This is good and bad.

The other two cities are already pegged on water pumping and barely sending 84? whatever (going from memory right now).

I'll try putting the sewage plant next to the water plant and see how it goes.

I also saw a YouTube video that says planting trees in ground polluted areas helps, so I've been doing that too.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
You can put your sewage plant next to the upgraded water station and use filter pumps for unlimited water. Or up the water in the other two cities. When selling to other cities, the units are divided by total cities in the region. For example, if I have a city selling 100 units of something to the region, and theres 4 other cities, only 25 units will be available to each. This is good and bad.

Plus one on this. Its the only way to get a steady long term water supply.

I don't think you even need to use filtered water pumps, I've never had any pollution with the normal ones.

Jamie-30

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
for those of you running mavericks, and having to play simcity in -w (window mode)

There has been an update for origin and your now able to play the game full screen!

CyrusKafaiWu

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2011
I recently upgraded from a 2011 Macbook Air so I am wondering what I should put as my settings for a 2013 13" 1.3ghz core i5 Macbook Air.

tee-tz

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
Totally forgot about this game being released.

So now that some Mac OS people have started playing - how is it ? Keep in mind I didn't have to endure the endless waiting, so my expectations are fairly 'normal'.

Would love to hear some more feedback on performance, graphics and game features. Hope those that waited so long to purchase it are at least enjoying now.

Thanks.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Totally forgot about this game being released.

So now that some Mac OS people have started playing - how is it ? Keep in mind I didn't have to endure the endless waiting, so my expectations are fairly 'normal'.

Would love to hear some more feedback on performance, graphics and game features. Hope those that waited so long to purchase it are at least enjoying now.

Thanks.

I play on medium settings and it works fine for me. It has its design flaws and gameplay issues, by design, like smaller areas and no subways among other things. but for what it does have its still fun to play - for me.

tee-tz

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2009
@ SandboxGeneral - Thanks...

Well I'm sold. Hoping it performs well... My specs: iMac, 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 32GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB...

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
I finally bought SimCity 5 this week and I hope it will be fun for me. I haven't finished SimCity 2000 on Atari computer. It was hard to learn as a mayor! :apple:

blacka4

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Pittsburgh
How does it run on your system? I bought the program too and it runs like trash on my computer. So I am in need of a new system for this game.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like EA is going to put in an offline mode as reported by Engadget

It seems like a desperate move born out by low sales volumes, or at least unmet sales goals. I myself have decided not to buy the game for a variety of reasons, one of which is the always on requirement. Their excuse that it needs the cloud to function is BS and it was reported shortly have the Windows release that a hacked version worked just as well w/o an internet connection.

I'm also disappointed by the fact they offer no demo or trial version and I'm not willing spend that much money on something that may not work too well. Too many reports of stability issues, even though much those have been ironed out I think

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I'm also disappointed by the fact they offer no demo or trial version and I'm not willing spend that much money on something that may not work too well. Too many reports of stability issues, even though much those have been ironed out I think

If you buy it on origin, you can get a refund if you contact them within 24 hours of your first launch of the game and it hasn't been more than seven days since you bought it.

It's good offline mode is coming, if only for the reason that it may make it easier for modders to fix the game. Not holding my breath though.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Just picked this game up thanks to a nice sale on Amazon and a discount code on top of that. Now it would be nice if the damn game would run. It keep getting stuck downloading the initial updates. It's crashed about a dozen times now.

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I haven't tried it yet - I'm waiting for somebody to mod it to increase the city size.

That was the biggest problem with it, for me. Online / offline makes no difference to me, but I quickly ran out of space in every city I made. Once you've added the garbage dumps, power stations, water pumps, storage depots, and all of the other stuff needed to make the city function, there's very little space left.

Offloading various utilities to another city never seemed to work properly, and it was annoying to have to switch between them to find out why you've run out of power or the garbage isn't being collected.

I played it for over 50 hours before giving up, so it's definitely a good game, but I'd only come back to it if I could have a single massive city.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
I haven't tried it yet - I'm waiting for somebody to mod it to increase the city size.

That was the biggest problem with it, for me. Online / offline makes no difference to me, but I quickly ran out of space in every city I made. Once you've added the garbage dumps, power stations, water pumps, storage depots, and all of the other stuff needed to make the city function, there's very little space left.

Offloading various utilities to another city never seemed to work properly, and it was annoying to have to switch between them to find out why you've run out of power or the garbage isn't being collected.

I played it for over 50 hours before giving up, so it's definitely a good game, but I'd only come back to it if I could have a single massive city.

I can see that. I played SC a lot growing up and just recently jumped back into SC4 while waiting for this version to get mature enough to play. Sometimes I felt like the cities were too large in SC4. I guess I'll know for sure once I dive into SC5.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Anyone try the new offline mode?

Sim City Offline Mode

I'm interested to know what everyone thinks.

I've been waiting to buy a new Mac for 2 reasons
1.) Updated Mac Mini - to decide if I go that route or MacBook Pro/iMac
2.) Sim City 5 offline mode.

Is this update for the OSX version as well as windows?

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I just updated it and had a quick go. Seems it's exactly the same but you get the option to manually save your city or save a new copy of it, which would be useful if you wanted to invoke a disaster and smash the place up for fun, or revert to a previous version.

It's still divided into tiny squares of buildable land within larger regions, though. That's the only thing wrong with it. You have to decide on one industry or business for your city, as there's no room for anything else. And if you want the raw materials to make that industry grow, you have to set up other cities. One region, half a dozen bite-size micro-cities, all managed by one player.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.