Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 27, 2012
Me!

It was giving me occasional lags when it was behind the closet, 15 feet away, but since I moved the router behind the couch it works great!

I was hoping it would choke if I fire up the other laptop but surprisingly it did not! not even when I tried to download a file hogging up the bandwidth.

This was kind of a bummer because I really want to upgrade to 802.11N but now I cannot justify! :mad:

Of course I have ethernet between ATV and switch.

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
Me!

It was giving me occasional lags when it was behind the closet, 15 feet away, but since I moved the router behind the couch it works great!

I was hoping it would choke if I fire up the other laptop but surprisingly it did not! not even when I tried to download a file hogging up the bandwidth.

This was kind of a bummer because I really want to upgrade to 802.11N but now I cannot justify! :mad:

Of course I have ethernet between ATV and switch.

Funny you made this thread. I just got a ReadyNAS and was using Wireless G (AT&T U-Verse modem with router built in) and the speeds were atrocious. I then wired an ethernet cable up to my laptop, and the speeds were a little better but still not great. Found out the modem doesn't have gigabit ethernet so I opted to buy an Airport Extreme. N + GigabitE, I should be a happy camper!

otherjobs

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
N is much better, compared to G, in all terms: bandwidth, power, stability.
But, AC will come out soon, so if you haven't already upgraded to N, you better wait.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.