Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:55 PM   #51
Cebuano1976
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Verrado, Buckeye, Arizona
Hate Android. Using a year old Android device and a year old Apple device is such a mismatch. My Android device loses its efficiency after 3 months. My iOs device stays zippy like new 1 year after.
Cebuano1976 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:55 PM   #52
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Nope the email only affect iPhones. It seems to be a PDF file made to work only on iOS. Malwares can usually only corrupt one OS.

Your reasoning on why this is an issue is not strong at all. You just seem to be denying the truth, to convince yourself the iPhone is better no matter what. Good day.
That same logic can be applied to what you are saying. You found one case of a PDF file made expresely to effect iPhones. However, there are hundreds of apps that are used in the Play Store to corrupt Android phones but you say there isn't an issue. At least with the corrupt PDF you would have to be be very oblivous to open it. With an App it can just be a flat out accident. I do personally believe that iOS and for that matter the iPhone is better than any other phone or OS but that's just my opinion. Unfortunately I cannot use you as a gauge to my reasonings strength as you think one person saying something in one article on MacRumors is a powerful arguement.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:04 PM   #53
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
That same logic can be applied to what you are saying. You found one case of a PDF file made expresely to effect iPhones. However, there are hundreds of apps that are used in the Play Store to corrupt Android phones but you say there isn't an issue. At least with the corrupt PDF you would have to be be very oblivous to open it. With an App it can just be a flat out accident. I do personally believe that iOS and for that matter the iPhone is better than any other phone or OS but that's just my opinion. Unfortunately I cannot use you as a gauge to my reasonings strength as you think one person saying something in one article on MacRumors is a powerful arguement.
How is it an issue if it's not affecting people?

Everytime you download an app on Android, it warns you of what access is given to apps before it downloads. You have to be an idiot to download an unknown app asking for every access on your phone. How the hell is it an accident?!?! You have to open the Play Store, actually search a while for the app (Because it is not a popular, all popular ones are clean), get past the access right screen then download it. LMAO an accident?!?!

There could be millions of apps that can affect the phone but the fact is that NOBODY is affected by them.

Read the thread, it is more than one person. Versus what you found which is nothing, it is far stronger.

Seriously, your argument makes no sense at all... Accident? Really? Opening a PDF attachment on an email is an accident, downloading an app is not.
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:23 PM   #54
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Hey I tried the Nexus 4 for a week and my experience was that I almost stopped using apps (because there are few that are worth using if you're used to the quality of iOS apps, and of course if there are any at all) and instead started using the web aquivalents for apps. And that's why I've returned to my aging but still capable iPhone 4.
inselstudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:36 PM   #55
hamiltonDSi
macrumors 6502a
 
hamiltonDSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Romania
I am an iPhone user since 2007. I had all the iPhones except the 4S.
Don't get me wrong, I like iOS very much...but i need a change.
I hate Android so I am considering to try a Windows 8 Phone, perhaps the new Lumia 920 from Nokia.
I am going to keep my iPhone 5 because i'm in the ecosystem, just like you guys.
The iPhone 5 is a very sexy phone, I like it, but it's not the phone..it's the OS.
I do not need fancy widgets or anything, I just need a change...
I don't know what to do... should I wait for Jony's iOS 7 ? I can wait 3 or 4 months until the first Beta to try it out.
What do you guys think ?
(Sorry for my english)
__________________
15" Macbook Pro with Retina Display.
iPad Air. iPhone 5s. Apple TV 3. AirPort Extreme 802.11 AC.
hamiltonDSi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:39 PM   #56
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
How is it an issue if it's not affecting people?

Everytime you download an app on Android, it warns you of what access is given to apps before it downloads. You have to be an idiot to download an unknown app asking for every access on your phone. How the hell is it an accident?!?! You have to open the Play Store, actually search a while for the app (Because it is not a popular, all popular ones are clean), get past the access right screen then download it. LMAO an accident?!?!

There could be millions of apps that can affect the phone but the fact is that NOBODY is affected by them.

Read the thread, it is more than one person. Versus what you found which is nothing, it is far stronger.

Seriously, your argument makes no sense at all... Accident? Really? Opening a PDF attachment on an email is an accident, downloading an app is not.
So let's get this straight in both cases we are dealing with something that the user would have to be stupid in order to fall for it? Sounds like both cases are equally pointless. Thanks I have to agree with you, in both cases you would have to be a complete idiot to fall for the malware. Opening an attachement on an email from a source that you don't recognize cannot be an accident. You needed to first open the email, then click on the pdf file. My only remaining arguement is that in the case of the iPhone you are getting malware from a source that has nothing to do with Apple while the Play Store issue or non issue as you say is completely involved with google/Andriod. However, this isn't getting anywhere so I'll allow you the final word since frankly it's difficult to have a constructive debate with someone who gets so bent out of shape so easily.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:46 PM   #57
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
So let's get this straight in both cases we are dealing with something that the user would have to be stupid in order to fall for it? Sounds like both cases are equally pointless. Thanks I have to agree with you, in both cases you would have to be a complete idiot to fall for the malware. Opening an attachement on an email from a source that you don't recognize cannot be an accident. You needed to first open the email, then click on the pdf file. My only remaining arguement is that in the case of the iPhone you are getting malware from a source that has nothing to do with Apple while the Play Store issue or non issue as you say is completely involved with google/Andriod. However, this isn't getting anywhere so I'll allow you the final word since frankly it's difficult to have a constructive debate with someone who gets so bent out of shape so easily.
Most if not all malware I receive by email are from my contacts that are infected. Opening a PDF file from an email does not make you an idiot, just an accident.

Yeah sure, I get bent out of shape easily You just can't admit that this is a non-issue and still using this useless gibberish as an excuse to defend your love for iOS. If Android did not have any malware at all, you would just dig for another reason anyways.
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:51 PM   #58
jrasero
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NYC
so true

I went from an iPhone 4 but got bored with the iOS and frustrated with AT&T to Verizon

Got a BB Bold 9930 because I wanted a complete messaging phone. But instead I missed the apps, music, browsing and ect

Then got a Galaxy Nexus so I could have better apps, decent camera, bigger screen, but Android lacks great apps and the GNex camera was so so and it had terrible battery

finally with the iPhone 5 I get a great camera, the best music player IMO, best apps, 4G with decent battery life


my MBA with my iPhone 5 is the perfect combo for my life.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by inselstudent View Post
Hey I tried the Nexus 4 for a week and my experience was that I almost stopped using apps (because there are few that are worth using if you're used to the quality of iOS apps, and of course if there are any at all) and instead started using the web aquivalents for apps. And that's why I've returned to my aging but still capable iPhone 4.
The Nexus line is great because it allows Google to give you the purest experience but like you said the apps on Android are just meh. Even when Android gets apps that Apple has its 3-4 months later

Another thing I noticed is how Android believers fall for the spec game. A course it doesn't have a 3300mah battery (1400mah), it doesn't have a 5" screen (4"), or a quad core processor (A6), but it runs as efficiently or better than most Androids.
jrasero is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:00 PM   #59
inselstudent
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrasero View Post

Another thing I noticed is how Android believers fall for the spec game. A course it doesn't have a 3300mah battery (1400mah), it doesn't have a 5" screen (4"), or a quad core processor (A6), but it runs as efficiently or better than most Androids.
Yea, the battery is something I completely forgot mentioning. Even my two year old iPhone still has far better battery life than the Nexus 4 which annoyed me a lot.
inselstudent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:04 PM   #60
VandyChem2009
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerok View Post
Most if not all malware I receive by email are from my contacts that are infected. Opening a PDF file from an email does not make you an idiot, just an accident.

Yeah sure, I get bent out of shape easily You just can't admit that this is a non-issue and still using this useless gibberish as an excuse to defend your love for iOS. If Android did not have any malware at all, you would just dig for another reason anyways.
.................................I really just don't even know what to say. I won't beat a dead horse so I'll simply reply to your new assertions. Well first I apologize I do need to reply because you made statements that are non-factual and while my online reputation does not coincide with my real reputation I still feel the need to defend it.

Opening an email from an unknown source with an attachement and openeing the attachment makes you an idiot. If you get something with malware from a trusted contact your trust is either very misplaced or your trusted contact is trying to infect you with malware. (sure it's possible they didn't know but see my next point) Almost all emailing software scans for malware so if they sent you malware there is a serious issue there. But I agree if you get an attachment from someone trusted and it has malware it's an accident on your part, you aren't an idiot.

I say you get bent out of shape easily because you are taking a debate and adding hyperbole and getting all worked up over something that doesn't even matter. (worked up in this case is adding ellipsis to your posts and cursing needlessly, in my opinion needlessly) And you are right I can't admit this is a non-issue because it is an issue. Malware in a stock appstore is a huge issue. The fact that google is actively trying to get rid of it is evidence enough. And I don't dislike Android because it has malware in it's appstore, I dislike Android because to me it doesn't have the same polish that iOS has. I happen to like Android widgets, wish Apple would incorporate it. Lastly, you may be right I do have rather a fondness to iOS, not sure if it's love yet but I'd say it's more of a strong like.
VandyChem2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:06 PM   #61
localhost8080
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
i got the ipad mini on release day.
i was considering getting a nexus 7 instead because its half the price.

the thing that made me get the mini was: all the other apple things I have:

apple tv - i wouldnt be able to use airplay mirroring with a nexus 7

pioneer airplay speakers: i wouldnt be able to play my music through them

podcasts app: i wouldnt be able to sync all my podcasts

itunes match: doesnt exist on non- apple devices.

sure i could get the kindle app, and i do use google for email / documents, but i would be missing out on so many other things.

the 'ecosystem' is by far the best feature of the apple devices
__________________
you can find out more about me at my blog
localhost8080 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:09 PM   #62
jsgreen
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: NH
I bet the iPhone is less "sticky" for iPhone customers who don't use Macs - it would be a lot easier to switch to Android or Windows phone if it wasn't so tightly integrated to your computer.

I'm so invested in the ecosystem it would cost me thousands to switch between Mac and iPhone apps. Good thing I have no urge to, so happy with that investment.
jsgreen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 02:39 PM   #63
aerok
macrumors 65816
 
aerok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by VandyChem2009 View Post
.................................I really just don't even know what to say. I won't beat a dead horse so I'll simply reply to your new assertions. Well first I apologize I do need to reply because you made statements that are non-factual and while my online reputation does not coincide with my real reputation I still feel the need to defend it.

Opening an email from an unknown source with an attachement and openeing the attachment makes you an idiot. If you get something with malware from a trusted contact your trust is either very misplaced or your trusted contact is trying to infect you with malware. (sure it's possible they didn't know but see my next point) Almost all emailing software scans for malware so if they sent you malware there is a serious issue there. But I agree if you get an attachment from someone trusted and it has malware it's an accident on your part, you aren't an idiot.

I say you get bent out of shape easily because you are taking a debate and adding hyperbole and getting all worked up over something that doesn't even matter. (worked up in this case is adding ellipsis to your posts and cursing needlessly, in my opinion needlessly) And you are right I can't admit this is a non-issue because it is an issue. Malware in a stock appstore is a huge issue. The fact that google is actively trying to get rid of it is evidence enough. And I don't dislike Android because it has malware in it's appstore, I dislike Android because to me it doesn't have the same polish that iOS has. I happen to like Android widgets, wish Apple would incorporate it. Lastly, you may be right I do have rather a fondness to iOS, not sure if it's love yet but I'd say it's more of a strong like.
Yes opening an attachment from an unknown is idiotic. I meant opening an attachment from a known source is not.

I initially thought you were the one listing malware as a reason why you don't use but it was Ike so I apologize for making a mistake like that.

But I stand on my position that having 0.5% of apps in an app store is a non-issue but it does not affect users at all.

And cursing needlessly? I used the work hell once...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgreen View Post
I bet the iPhone is less "sticky" for iPhone customers who don't use Macs - it would be a lot easier to switch to Android or Windows phone if it wasn't so tightly integrated to your computer.

I'm so invested in the ecosystem it would cost me thousands to switch between Mac and iPhone apps. Good thing I have no urge to, so happy with that investment.
I use a Macbook as my main computer. But most of my syncs are done through Google and Dropbox so it really does not matter which device I use.
__________________
Kangmlee Photography Blog
Macbook Pro 13 - iPhone 5S - iPad Air - Samsung Note 8
aerok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:53 PM   #64
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020
 
ugahairydawgs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamiltonDSi View Post
I am an iPhone user since 2007. I had all the iPhones except the 4S.
Don't get me wrong, I like iOS very much...but i need a change.
I hate Android so I am considering to try a Windows 8 Phone, perhaps the new Lumia 920 from Nokia.
I am going to keep my iPhone 5 because i'm in the ecosystem, just like you guys.
The iPhone 5 is a very sexy phone, I like it, but it's not the phone..it's the OS.
I do not need fancy widgets or anything, I just need a change...
I don't know what to do... should I wait for Jony's iOS 7 ? I can wait 3 or 4 months until the first Beta to try it out.
What do you guys think ?
(Sorry for my english)
You're probably a ways away from seeing the first beta of iOS7 (probably June-ish) and even then I wouldn't expect to see something radically different. They aren't going to re-invent the wheel in 8 months.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:58 PM   #65
torontowriter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
iRobot

Yes...Now all they have to do is come out with an iRobot and get them to deconstruct into individual working pieces.
torontowriter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't switch your iPhone 5 from Black to White worst Idea ever GUIZAR iPhone 54 Jun 19, 2013 09:00 AM
What does the Retina depend on (specs)? shorty116 MacBook Pro 3 May 8, 2013 08:08 AM
Is a Broken iPhone Screen Unprofessional/Embarrassing? (Does it Depend on Factors?) HappyDude20 iPhone 75 Mar 26, 2013 03:15 PM
iPhone 5 won't realise people have iMessage apollo1444 iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Dec 31, 2012 05:44 AM
When is the actual realise date for the iPod Touch 5G ezminnie iPod touch 4 Oct 12, 2012 05:27 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC