Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Don't trust ebay, & craigslist is too iffy.
wan't to trade it for a imac.

TTyylleerr

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I don't know about highest, but Gazelle.com is reputable.

If you don't find anything better, you might want to give it a shot. At least get a quote, it can't hurt :)

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Powermax is pretty good. Also have a look at Amazon. I'd imagine you'd get more on Craigslist though. I have sold dozens of Apple stuff on craigslist. I always get my asking price and it never took more than 2 days to find a buyer. I can't say the same for any other hardware manufacturer. Apple's stuff seems to be in very high demand. I don't know if its a fad, but it is a great time to be selling old Apple hardware.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
I don't know about highest, but Gazelle.com is reputable.

If you don't find anything better, you might want to give it a shot. At least get a quote, it can't hurt :)

gazelle is too low, only pay $400.
amazon is paying $540

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 11, 2010
Powermax is pretty good. Also have a look at Amazon. I'd imagine you'd get more on Craigslist though. I have sold dozens of Apple stuff on craigslist. I always get my asking price and it never took more than 2 days to find a buyer. I can't say the same for any other hardware manufacturer. Apple's stuff seems to be in very high demand. I don't know if its a fad, but it is a great time to be selling old Apple hardware.

How much you think i can get for my macbook pro.

-13' 2009 version.
-2.26 Ghz intel Core 2 Duo.
-8gb Ram.
-640 GB HDD.
-Snow Lep.

Only thing is wrong with it is a "replace battery soon" sign that just popped up today (which is why im selling) ...I think i need to sell it before the laptop gets too old and knock out on me.

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
If you have an older model Macbook Pro, Best Buy gives some decent money.

I got a pretty good quote for my beat up 15" Macbook Pro (2009)

If its naything newer I would go elsewhere.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
How much you think i can get for my macbook pro.

-13' 2009 version.
-2.26 Ghz intel Core 2 Duo.
-8gb Ram.
-640 GB HDD.
-Snow Lep.

Only thing is wrong with it is a "replace battery soon" sign that just popped up today (which is why im selling) ...I think i need to sell it before the laptop gets too old and knock out on me.

Get a quote from Powermax and then sell at slightly above that quoted price. The battery issue might cause you to lose some value though.

Selling tips: say no paypal, cash only in person in the ad. If you have all the original stuff, including the box, say that in the ad. Clean the devices as best you can and take and post pictures. Give links to Apple sec page and Amazon customer reviews.

I sold a 15" 2007 MBP today for close to 600$ with 4gb of Ram and 500gb drive, 2.2ghz CPU

Download and install Lion on it ;)

Last edited:

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009
It's not that hard to sell on Ebay, and the fees are not that much...

Craigslist is easy, hell I sold my 2010 15" macbook pro in three days, and got $1450 for it in April.

Just meet them in a bank.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006

I always find it best to meet in a private place so that there aren't distractions or interruptions when the buyer is verifying the functionality of the computer. Also make sure that it is kind of dark so that the buyer can make sure the backlit keyboard works too. :eek:

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Doesn't hurt to throw it up on craigslist. You will get your best money here. If you are uncomfortable meeting bring a friend.

ChocolateApple

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
New York
It's not that hard to sell on Ebay, and the fees are not that much...

Craigslist is easy, hell I sold my 2010 15" macbook pro in three days, and got $1450 for it in April.

eBay is full of scam artists who will successfully bid on items, closing the bid for legit buyers. I almost sent a very expensive camera to one until I used my common sense.

----------

I always find it best to meet in a private place so that there aren't distractions or interruptions when the buyer is verifying the functionality of the computer. Also make sure that it is kind of dark so that the buyer can make sure the backlit keyboard works too. :eek:

Joking, right? People get killed that way. It's always wiser when dealing with Craigslist to meet the person during the day, in a public place -- like a bank where the cash can be verified. It's also best to have their personal phone contact and speak with them ahead of time to get an idea of the kind of person being met as best as possible. I have sold several things on Craigslist, and the times I got scammed (just 2) were the times when I didn't do the above.

inboxer

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2013
I've sold to gazelle and buybackworld. eBay and craigslist are not for me. buybackworld pays a bit more and buys many more products. I know I could have gotten a few more bucks on craigslist, but just don't have the time nor would I want the hassle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.