Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vicdroid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
Chicago, IL.
Hello all, new to the forum but long time reader since my first 2009 mac mini, 2011 iMac and now my 2009 Mac Pro :)

Quick quick bio about me and why I'm here:
I edit video for a photo studio using Sony Vegas but over the years I've found OS X to be more reliable, less glitchy and it just freaking works. And since we just got the Adobe Master CS6 we want to start editing 1080p and burning Blu Ray standard for our clients. So I decided to learn Adobe Premier, Final Cut X, After Effects and Encore's way to once and for all leave Windows.

I plan to do tons of upgrades to my new Mac Pro, from CPUs, SSDs, RAM, BD drives to GPUs but as I'm reading, there isn't a great variety of GPUs compatible with the Mac Pro as there are for the PC.

So the question is, what would be the very best GPU out there for HD Video editing for a 2009 Nahalem 8 Core 2x 2.26GHz Mac Pro 4,1?
I read somewhere that the GeForce GTX 680 was a hell of a card for HD editing, I just want to know more about the compatibility with my new Mac Pro (Which btw I intent to turn into a 2010 Mac Pro via the EFI mod I read here somewhere)

It sucks I have little time for deep researching since this stuff excites me but having a full time job and being a daddy leaves little room for one's art.

Thanks in advance for any advice and your time!
:)

makaveli559m

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I would get that Nvidia graphics, if you get two of those you can SLI them on the Windows side. I did that with a few 7300GT and those are old!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.