Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
During the course of sorting out all my photos, prior to importing them into iPhoto, I've found as many as 4 photos with the same name. Combinations of resetting my camera's count system somehow :confused:, and getting photos from other people who's cameras use the same naming convention as mine. I've picked them all out, and appended the names with something appropriate to the set.

Once I've imported everything into iPhoto, what will happen in the future if I try to import photos with the same name as ones that are already imported?

snberk103

macrumors 603
Oct 22, 2007
An Island in the Salish Sea
iPhoto will likely have no issues at all. I believe it uses filename, and date taken as a way to tell potential duplicates. And perhaps size as well.

It is easy to test. Next time you are importing keep a few images back. Then rename them to same name and import.... if a couple were taken the same day but were different sizes you would immediately know what iPhoto does in that case.

ToomeyND

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
iPhoto won't care.

220px-Honey_badger.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.