Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musicnut90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 17, 2012
I have a 2008 unibody macbook and am looking to upgrade. I'm deciding between the refurbished 13" 2012 retina pro 2.5ghz i5, 8gb RAM, 128gb HD, or new haswell 13" air with 8gb ram and 128gb hd. I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas of what sorts of tasks the pro (I assume it's more powerful) can handle which the air will have trouble with?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

appleisking

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2013
Final cut pro (video editing), logic pro (music editing), aperture (photo editing), and the various adobe suites are generally meant to be optimized for the macbook pro, although the air can handle them it will do so at a lower resolution and with slower abilities due to the lack of cpu power. The air is essentially the modern day macbook, if your macbook was good enough that it handled all of your tasks, the air is perfectly fine.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
2013 Air unless you need it for heavy duty apps as mentioned by previous poster.

Otherwise, 2013 MBA is better for day-to-day use (longer battery life, faster SSD, etc.).

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
If you're comparing 13" models, the only notable difference between the two models is the screen. In terms of heavy cpu lifting/gpu stuff, both models will not be sufficient if you're using it professionally (or you're a "power" consumer or something). If you like the screen and don't mind paying the premium, just get the rMBP. If you want the battery life, get the Air. If you want the power but still want portability, you'll have to get a 15" rMBP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.