Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
Wonder if its a glitch with your iCloud back up. When you connect to a power source and wifi it may be backing up but using your data instead of the wifi. I would have Apple do a diagnostic on your device to see.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
Same thing happened to me with my last months billing cycle. I have an iPhone 5 with AT&T, I ususally use about 3gb a month and this last billing cycle it said I used over 7! I've had iPhones since day 1 and I never ever used anywhrre close to that much data. I do not use iCloud, and my LTE is switched off because it's not in my area yet and I thought that would save some battery. I did a complete restore and so far I don't see any strange spikes in my data usage. Just like some earlier posts my usage on my bill showed very strange big chunks of data used at times I'm not typically on my phone, like at work and sleeping. Hopefully this restore does the trick.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I understand that. When you view the data on the website it specifically says when the data was burned, there are a dozen pages with a few kb's to 5 MB's and then the two anomolys. 430 AM and 230 Pm ish the next day with massive amounts used. I typically use about 800 mb's to 1.2 gb's a month and 6 days into the billing cycle I had already used 1.3 gb's. This was something either with the phone continuously updating or error in reporting. I can go back to when I got my 4s and the data usage is fairly consistent.

Weird, then it does seem like a glitch in Verizon's system then. Since I have gotten my first iPhone I have used data usage.

(https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/data-usage/id386950560?mt=8)

It has always been accurate. If anything it says I use more data than I actually have.

blairwillis

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2005
Check the settings for the Facebook app, if she has it installed. This app now preloads and plays videos in your feed/stream/whatever they call it.

The settings are in the iOS settings app, under Facebook, and not within the Facebook app itself.

Could be the culprit. Also, double check that she is on wifi at home. I know so many people (parents included) that have issues only to realize they are not connected to their home wifi. I have no idea how this happens, because it's after I've checked they were set to automatically connect, but it does. Also know of a firsthand situation where the home wifi signal wasn't strong enough to cross the entire house, and they didn't realize it. So again, double/triple-check wifi connectivity throughout the house.

robostig

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014
Check the settings for the Facebook app, if she has it installed. This app now preloads and plays videos in your feed/stream/whatever they call it.

The settings are in the iOS settings app, under Facebook, and not within the Facebook app itself.

Could be the culprit. Also, double check that she is on wifi at home. I know so many people (parents included) that have issues only to realize they are not connected to their home wifi. I have no idea how this happens, because it's after I've checked they were set to automatically connect, but it does. Also know of a firsthand situation where the home wifi signal wasn't strong enough to cross the entire house, and they didn't realize it. So again, double/triple-check wifi connectivity throughout the house.

Yes, the Facebook app, I turned off auto streaming videos on my Note 3 and data utilization went way down, darn you Facebook!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.