Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vitordoug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
My iPod Touch was stolen yesterday and I am trying to find out what it's serial number is. I know the serial number displays in iTunes when the iPod is plugged-in but is it recorded some other place on my Mac Pro 17 laptop or with Apple Support? HOW DO I FIND THE SERIAL NUMBER FOR THE iPOD TOUCH THAT WAS STOLEN?

M.a.r.k.

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2007
itunes saves a backup of your ipod on the hd, but i dont'r really know if there also is a serial number in it.
You can check the box, there always is a sticker with the sn. Or maybe the invoice which also contains the sn...

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
There's a couple ways.

Yes, if you still have the original packaging, the serial number will be printed with a bar code on the bottom of the box. It may also be printed on the receipt, depending on where you bought it from.

In addition, the first time you connected your iPod touch to your computer, you would have gone through the registration process. During this registration, you typed in your email address, which Apple keeps on file. By entering your email address on Apple's site, you can view products you have registered under your name.

vitordoug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
Can't find the exact place on Apple's web site

Ziggy:
I have been searching for the link to look up registered products but I can't seem to find it. Do you know the exact URL?

Thanks!

vitordoug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
What is the URL to see list of products I already registered?

Ziggy:
I found the site you mentioned but that URL only takes you to products TO register. It does not take you to a list of products I already registered. Any ideas where I go to find the list of products I have already registered?

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
easier way to find your serial: open iTunes. Then click the menu tab "iTunes". Then hold down the control key while you're clicking onto "About iTunes". Now you you see a slightly modified About iTunes page, with contains the serial number of your last connected devices. (last iPod and last iPhone). If you see the numbers, press the spacebar, so the screen doesn't move anymore and you can write your serial down.

One problem: if you sister also connects her iPod with the same computer then it might show hers (depending on which was the last one!)

EDIT: her's another link you might find useful: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1459

ziggyonice

macrumors 68020
Mar 12, 2006
Rural America
Well... H$R nailed in right on the head! That's a great trick!

And also, looks like that site I posted won't do it anyway. Apparently you've got to actually call Apple to get a list of your registered products.

vitordoug

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 10, 2009
It was not the last iPod Touch sync'd..now what

H$R:
Unfortunately the iPod touch that was stolen is not the last one synced in iTunes on my Mac. Is there another way I can find the serial number?

Thanks!

H$R

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2008
Switzerland
Well... H$R nailed in right on the head! That's a great trick!

Thanks, I have seen the question many times now, and it's a good trick.

And also, looks like that site I posted won't do it anyway. Apparently you've got to actually call Apple to get a list of your registered products.

I think there was a website somewhen, when you logged in with your account years ago. But it seems they have changed the websites sometime so you can't anymore. What you can do: write your serial down and see if you still have warranty on it. That can also be useful. But it doesn't serve the same purpose sadly.

I found it..thanks everyone!

How did you find it out afterall?

Thaddaeus

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2011
Oh my gosh you guys helps soooooooo much! :D i had been stressing forever about this because someone stole my like 300 dollar ipod touch. this helpd me so much i joined just to say thanks! :) you all are awesome mac lovin peoples!

jennielynn90

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2012
easier way to find your serial: open iTunes. Then click the menu tab "iTunes". Then hold down the control key while you're clicking onto "About iTunes". Now you you see a slightly modified About iTunes page, with contains the serial number of your last connected devices. (last iPod and last iPhone). If you see the numbers, press the spacebar, so the screen doesn't move anymore and you can write your serial down.

EDIT: her's another link you might find useful: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1459

Thank you H$R! That worked perfectly and I was able to give the serial number to the police!

funnyatleast

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2011
Sn

how is knowing the serial number going to help though?

The only thing that I see that can help is if you activated the located my ipod feature

RolandNights

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
California
I dont understand how knowing the serial number can help....

IIRC, if a pawn shop owner received an electronic item from a seller, pawn shop owners can cross-reference serial numbers with police reports. If the pawn shop owner finds that he has received a stolen item, he must report the seller's information to the police.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
I dont understand how knowing the serial number can help....

IIRC, if a pawn shop owner received an electronic item from a seller, pawn shop owners can cross-reference serial numbers with police reports. If the pawn shop owner finds that he has received a stolen item, he must report the seller's information to the police.
Additionally, if you have home insurance it is likely that your insurance company asked for a list of your valuables, including the serial numbers of electronics and appliances, which is where the list of stolen items provided to police for recovery purposes (along with police crime reports) originates. Serial numbers also prove to your insurance company that the insured items really exist and can be verified.

jonnysniper

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2013
Just saying if you are using a mac you can go to your iTunes Preferences and go to Devices you can just hover over the name of your device with your mouse and it says your serial number.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Just saying if you are using a mac you can go to your iTunes Preferences and go to Devices you can just hover over the name of your device with your mouse and it says your serial number.

This thread has been inactive for 14 months. The iTunes info was posted in 2009 in Post #6.

NatuRalySs

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2017

One problem: if you sister also connects her iPod with the same computer then it might show hers (depending on which was the last one!)

This is an awesome trick!!! I know you mentioned that it records the last registered ipod, but in the case where I bought a used ipod to replace my stolen new one and plugged it in itunes multiple times, will itunes show me that serial number or my old brand new one?

ApolloBoy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA
This is an awesome trick!!! I know you mentioned that it records the last registered ipod, but in the case where I bought a used ipod to replace my stolen new one and plugged it in itunes multiple times, will itunes show me that serial number or my old brand new one?
FYI that was posted over 8 years ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.