Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Here's what I know about the new SSD in Mac Pro so far:

Controller: Samsung (PCIe based, not available yet so not sure if it's SATA or NVMe)
NAND: 21nm Samsung MLC
Capacity: Apple's demo unit is 256GB but with current NAND you can fit up to 1024GB (1TB) of NAND on the PCB
Connector: Proprietary (i.e. not M.2)

TheEasterBunny

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Delaware
Nope.

There are over 200 pages in that thread, and the OP updated drives up to newer models in 2013. They're not in the original graphs, but read on.

Loa

Yes, and at the end of this thread they do make comments about modern SSD's, but since those drives have just hit the market, being "modern" and all 2 years worth of testing could not have been done.
Testing drives by running them constantly is not a test of real world use.
In the real world that 2 years they are getting out of those 2 year old SSD's, works out to be more like 6 to 8 years of normal use.
I have yet to get that much use out of a platter drive.
IDK about the rest of the people out there, but personally, if I get 3 years out of a drive, I feel good about it, and replace it!

Tesselator

macrumors 601
Jan 9, 2008
Japan
Here's what I know about the new SSD in Mac Pro so far:

Controller: Samsung (PCIe based, not available yet so not sure if it's SATA or NVMe)
NAND: 21nm Samsung MLC
Capacity: Apple's demo unit is 256GB but with current NAND you can fit up to 1024GB (1TB) of NAND on the PCB
Connector: Proprietary (i.e. not M.2)

I added this to the facts page: https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17406352/

Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.