Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
It only happens for a few seconds before I can use the trackpad again, but it's been doing it all the time. Anyone else?

Think an SMC reset would help this?

oh, and on 10.8.2.

Last edited:

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
still doing it :/

oh well. at least it only temporarily freezes and then comes right back.

joey129

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2011
I have the same problem on my MBP 2010 only sometimes I never regain control of the trackpad and end up having to hard reset :/

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Me too...

Me too on 2009 13inch MBP running 10.8.2.

It only started a couple months ago and I can't figure it out. I might try the PRAM and NVRAM reset just in case.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
so resetting PRAM (NVRAM?) worked for me. Let's hope the fix sticks but at least I have a temporary fix. Thanks for the tip!

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
still doing it :/

oh well. at least it only temporarily freezes and then comes right back.

Odd question, but do you happen to have Android File Transfer installed? That's what the problem was for me, removing it fixed me right up. I saw the solution in another thread on here.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
Actually yes I do. But I'm probably just going to have to deal with it then. I need android file transfer.

pistachoo

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2007
I know this thread is a few months old now, but in weeks of searching this is the ONLY mention of the exact problem I am having with my new (fall 2012) 15" retina display MBP.

It happens when any USB device that mounts a drive is plugged in.

Did anyone figure out the cause / find a solution?

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
I know this thread is a few months old now, but in weeks of searching this is the ONLY mention of the exact problem I am having with my new (fall 2012) 15" retina display MBP.

It happens when any USB device that mounts a drive is plugged in.

Did anyone figure out the cause / find a solution?

Do you have Android File Transfer installed by chance?

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Do you have Android File Transfer installed by chance?

I do. Is it definitely causing it? Seems stupid because I never had this issue until I had a software update that specifically said it should fix something to do with USB devices but it actually started doing this. I'm on 10.8.2 on mid 2012 11" MBA.

jbzcar

macrumors regular
May 11, 2012
I do. Is it definitely causing it? Seems stupid because I never had this issue until I had a software update that specifically said it should fix something to do with USB devices but it actually started doing this. I'm on 10.8.2 on mid 2012 11" MBA.

AFT was causing the problem for me, and for several others in similar threads. I removed it and the problem went away. If you can manage without Android File Transfer, you can try removing it and see if your problem resolves.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Thanks, just asked a friend who was having the same problem on a 2009 MBP on ML if removing 'Android File Transfer' fixed it for him (since he recently tried out a Nexus 7) and he said it worked.

So I did the same on my machine and expect the same results.

I never could isolate it because I tried out my first Android, the Galaxy Nexus, in the middle of last summer; same time as ML release.

So I always attributed it to the OS, not some particular app or functionality.

Thanks!

I updated original post title so people don't have to sift through this read for a quick solution.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Hmmm, it still seems to be doing it even after AppZapping android file transfer.

tinmeigut

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2013
I've been suffering from this issue for a while already and it seems this is the only thread I could ever found that talks about it. Yes I've been using ATF and yes I've removed it. While it seems to have solved the issue most of the time, the freezes still comes back sporadically when I plug in an USB device. Not sure what else I can do to make it go away totally :confused:

huschpuscheli

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
though the thread is quite old: i just removed the android-thingy from the startup objects and now it works. thanks for the help.

DJ153

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2014
It's not Android

Well I don't know about you guys but I have an iPhone with no Android do no need or Android File transfer. It's stalling whenever I plug in a USB device to my MBP

It's longer than 3 seconds maybe about 10, then when it clears it will come back randomly.

I have a 15" MBP 2.6GHz
8GB Ram
OS X Lion 10.7

Thanks DJ153

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.