Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cjshino

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 17, 2012
Whats better in my situation. An upgrade from 4 to 4s because i want a faster phone for gaming and web? (Unlocked used on tmobile) Or a new laptop for basic needs such as web, schoolwork and some casual gaming? Both are almost the same price

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Whats better in my situation. An upgrade from 4 to 4s because i want a faster phone for gaming and web? (Unlocked used on tmobile) Or a new laptop for basic needs such as web, schoolwork and some casual gaming? Both are almost the same price

well.. a laptop will be much better for gaming lol. You can get a *decent* laptop for $500 these days.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012

Up to your personal needs & which one you need more urgently. You can make do with a normal phone for calls, but some things that are done on a laptop cannot be duplicated on a separate platform. Depends.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I would probably say a laptop would be better in your situation. The 4 can't be that horribly slow with iOS 6 installed on it. And plus, the 4S really isn't that huge of an upgrade from the 4.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
I would probably say a laptop would be better in your situation. The 4 can't be that horribly slow with iOS 6 installed on it. And plus, the 4S really isn't that huge of an upgrade from the 4.

For the sake of proving your last sentence wrong, I saw this post a while back. Take a look.

Wrong. 4 to 4s is huge compared to 4s to 5.

CPU
4-4S. Single core CortexA8 to Dual core CortexA9. Gaining multithreading from single thread architecture jump is massive.
4S-5 is just one dual core to a another, substantial, but mush less.

Camera
4-4S. Big, 720p to 1080p video. 5 lens system. Panorama. 5MP to 8MP.
5. Lens cover with more scratch resistance and purple light halos

Display
4/4S/5 All retina
5 taller and less ergonomic

Cellular.
4: single antenna, 3-5mbps 3G
4S: dual diversity dynamic antenna system 8-19mbps 4G
5: dual diversity dynamic antenna system 40-60mbps LTE
The 4 already has double basic home DSL bandwidth, 4S even more. Who needs that much on a mobile, really? Silly overkill.

Dock connector
5: Lightning. Losses compatibility with many accessories and all your previous charging cables. Can be hard to bum a quick charge.

Built quality
4/4S strong stainless steel frame, gorilla glass type outer
5 soft aluminum with easy wearing anodization

4-4S Siri, 3D maps, turn-by-turn
4S-5 nothing else.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
For the sake of proving your last sentence wrong, I saw this post a while back. Take a look.

Faster chip and Siri are really the "big" differences between the two that would matter to me (Again, I'm speaking for myself since I do not play any games on my iPhone). For the OP the faster chip would make a difference for gaming, but he should using a laptop for the optimal experience.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Perhaps the question would have been a tad more challenging if it was between the iPad & a laptop.

Then again, iOS is really limited in terms of Micro Office related stuff, IMO. That's something that PCs always win. For now.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Define your criteria for better. Or make a list of your priorities and you'll have your answer.

You're not "proving his last sentence wrong". A list of improvements doesn't change a person's perception of the importance of the improvements. You're confusing the two and assuming them to be one and the same. As stated above, this is a subjective matter and the answer depends on the person asking.

A phone is still a phone.
A laptop is still a laptop.

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
I scored a Dell E4300 business class laptop
c2d 2.4
ddr3 3gb
160 hd
13" widescreen
backlight keyb
working battery
power adapter (with car 12v socket too)

all for less than $150 on ebay

more than capable machine for your tasks unless you want a Mac.
I have iPhone 4, never used 4S so I can't tell the difference.

Good luck hunting

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.