Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morgan Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011
I have four straightforward questions. All help is appreciated.

• Is the entire GeForce 400/500/600 series compatible with 10.8?
• Is the entire Radeon 6000/7000 series compatible with 10.8?

• Have there been any duds in that lot? Recommendations for my system?
• Do some of these cards have disturbing noise levels? Have there been issues with overheating, and fires?

It's a Mac Pro Quad Core.
http://everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_pro/specs/mac-pro-quad-core-2.66-early-2009-nehalem-specs.html

Morgan Mac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2011

I'd love to choose one and call it a day, but that's not what I asked. Plus, the Radeon HD 7950 is not compatible with my system, and maybe not the GeForce GTX 680. Granted, those are the best cards that I could get - I need options.

Apparently, the Radeon is compatible with Mac Pro models from 2010 or later. What needs to be changed to virtually make my model as good as the 2010? Because I'm confused - is the difference between models between MOBO's?

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
I'd love to choose one and call it a day, but that's not what I asked. Plus, the Radeon HD 7950 is not compatible with my system, and maybe not the GeForce GTX 680. Granted, those are the best cards that I could get - I need options.

Apparently, the Radeon is compatible with Mac Pro models from 2010 or later. What needs to be changed to virtually make my model as good as the 2010? Because I'm confused - is the difference between models between MOBO's?

Hi Morgan. As far as I know, the PC flashed cards Nvidia GTX470, 480, 570, 580 is compatible with your Mac Pro. For Radeon maybe most of the 6000s-7000s series will work on your Mac Pro. Your Mac Pro is the 2009 Nehalem 2.66 quad basing it from the link you provided. Some higher model videocards may have power supply that exceeds your Mac Pro's maximum power supply alloted for videocards that you should take note of. Some users would add an external power supply. Personally, my opinion I would just play it safe and avoid adding external power supply and just stick to videocards that meet the power requirements of the Mac Pro.

The Nvidia 680 Mac edition works in your Mac Pro as their website indicates works on Mac Pros from 2008-2012. Same with Radeon 7950. But both requires Mac OS 10.8.3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.