Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:53 PM   #1
hotdeck
macrumors newbie

iPad Mini dead pixel....

Today a dead pixel appeared on the ipad mini screen. I've already returned ipad 4 after several days of pondering and decided to keep the mini. Now I am going to return the ipad mini too. I am just glad it's within 14 days of return period.

And a wifi ipad mini is no where to be found at an Apple store. I'll be ipadless for a few days.
hotdeck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:55 PM   #2
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdeck View Post
Today a dead pixel appeared on the ipad mini screen. I've already returned ipad 4 after several days of pondering and decided to keep the mini. Now I am going to return the ipad mini too. I am just glad it's within 14 days of return period.

And a wifi ipad mini is no where to be found at an Apple store. I'll be ipadless for a few days.
Should hold onto it until they put out the next shipment which should hopefully be this week just in time for thanksgiving. I cant see Apple not selling iPad minis during the biggest shopping week of the year.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:05 PM   #3
cang87
macrumors member

Most of the Apple Stores have different inventory for being able to exchange the faulty devices. (not refurbished as it's too early for it) Call and ask maybe they can tell you.. I had dead pixel on my iPhone 5 too. I called and ask if I can bring it and change it. They asked me the color, GB then looked and said me to bring it for change. I changed it while everyone was crying for an iPhone 5 especially when I was going out from the store

Btw. Is it possible to change device without having any problem in this 14 days you mentioned? I have a 32GB wi-fi mini right now which I bought last week so I have 1 more week for a change.. If I go to store and ask for 32GB LTE version; can I change it if it is available? (of course with paying the differance)
Retina MacBook Pro 15'', 2.3 Ghz Quad-Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD
cang87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Hallivand
macrumors regular

Quote:
Btw. Is it possible to change device without having any problem in this 14 days you mentioned? I have a 32GB wi-fi mini right now which I bought last week so I have 1 more week for a change.. If I go to store and ask for 32GB LTE version; can I change it if it is available? (of course with paying the differance)
Yup it certainly is possible, I'm intending to do the exact same thing with my Retina iPad 32GB WiFi Only. They told me in the store I have until January 6th or so too since I purchased it on Launch Day, which happened to be within the shopping period.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:35 PM   #5
ThaDog
macrumors newbie

I received my white iPad mini 64GB Wifi on Wednesday last week and i noticed 1 death pixel almost in the middle of the screen.
I called the apple hotline on Friday morning here in Switzerland and after a couple of minutes was all settled and a new iPad mini is on it's way to me.
I can keep the old one until the new arrives.
It should come within 5 day's.
Apple service is still the best i have experienced.

Greetings from Switzerland.
ThaDog is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:44 PM   #6
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotdeck View Post

I'd use that iPad and bring it back to apple in 11 months for a new one.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:19 AM   #7
RevTEG
macrumors regular

My mini had a dead pixel also. Apple said they were out of the white 32gig. So I was just going to return it when a manager shows up and says they have some put back at the Genius Bar for damage replacements. Walked out with new mini.

Returned the new one a few days later. Hated the screen. But that's another topic. Sticking with my 3.
RevTEG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 06:54 PM   #8
robertosh
macrumors 6502

My new mini has a dead pixel out of the box, should i ask for a remplace?
2014 iPhone 6 64Gb
robertosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2012, 07:05 PM   #9
mcdj
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
I'd use that iPad and bring it back to apple in 11 months for a new one.
New? No. Refurbished, maybe..
Old Dec 6, 2012, 03:45 PM   #10
robertosh
macrumors 6502

I had a dead pixel too, I contacted Apple and I am waiting for a replace.
2014 iPhone 6 64Gb
robertosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2012, 04:23 PM   #11
shenan1982
macrumors 68020

I had three dead pixels out of the box. I went back in and exchanged it. They started with the line about how one or two dead pixels isn't uncommon... and I interrupted them and said no, if I'm paying for an Apple product, I expect it to have a fully functional screen. They replaced it with a brand new one, and the new one has no dead pixels.

On a side note, it's very rare for a pixel to be functioning then fail, so for the OP who said one morning it just died, unlikely. It probably was dead from the get go and you didn't notice.

I always cycle through all colors on my screen whenever I first get a device as dead pixels seem to be more common lately in Apple products. My first 4S had several, then my iPhone 5 had 1 right at the top. Apple QC should be catching these, but my guess is with the hurry to get them shipped they're slipping through the cracks.
shenan1982 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 07:17 AM   #12
MrGimper
macrumors 65816

Bought a 32GB cellular black from the local Apple store. Got home and noticed 2 dead pixels.

Returned to the store for a replacement. They were very apologetic and as they didn't have a replacement 32GB, they replaced it with a 64GB for no extra charge

G
iP6+ 128 Silver | iPad Air2 128 Silver 4G | iPad rMini 128 4G White | Early 2011 MB Pro i7 2.2/16GB 15" Hi-Res Glossy | Mid 2012 MB Air 13" i7 2.0/8GB/512GB | Late 2012 iMac 27" i7 3.4/32GB/1TB Fusion
MrGimper is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2012, 08:37 PM   #13
BarkingGhost
macrumors regular

Hmm, I went to the Apple store to buy a mini before I leave for a trip this Friday. I guess after reading this thread I am lucky in that the white/silver 16GB wifi only wasn't in stock.

I guess sometimes one can feel lucky when one can't buy something.
BarkingGhost is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:27 PM   #14
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

I got my Mini launch day, today I noticed a dead pixel. Rang Apple Support and they have arranged for a new 64gb to be sent out to me via advanced replacement.

It's great that they replace with 1 pixel dead, compared to some of the dead pixel policies in the past requiring a cluster.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:29 PM   #15
Hotwheels1104
macrumors newbie

Possible dead pixel

I got my ipad mini 4 months ago and LOVE it!! Well last week when I opened up the keyboard the bottom right corner went all weird and staticky looking! I've never seen this happen on any of my other apple products. It happened twice during that use but not since then. My question is if I take it back will they possibly replace it?? Also i just saw the new ipad mini retina display was released, any chance they just give me that as my replacement instead!
Hotwheels1104 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:35 PM   #16
AdonisSMU
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels1104 View Post
I got my ipad mini 4 months ago and LOVE it!! Well last week when I opened up the keyboard the bottom right corner went all weird and staticky looking! I've never seen this happen on any of my other apple products. It happened twice during that use but not since then. My question is if I take it back will they possibly replace it?? Also i just saw the new ipad mini retina display was released, any chance they just give me that as my replacement instead!
No chance youll get the new one. The old one is still selling.
AdonisSMU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:45 PM   #17
Zmanbaseball2
macrumors 68040

iPad Mini dead pixel....

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertosh View Post
My new mini has a dead pixel out of the box, should i ask for a remplace?
How do you notice a dead pixel on a retina display that quickly? I wish my Air had a dead pixel so I can get a free replacement 11 months later like F123D said.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:54 PM   #18
ipaclansite
macrumors member

I recently bought an iPad mini with Retina display, after a few days ago, I too noticed a stuck pixel. I brought it back to the Apple Store and they exchanged it for a new one. I am guessing it was multiple pixels clustered in one spot since it was visible. But it is certainly possible to get one with a dead pixel.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 09:55 PM   #19
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Between the warranty and return policy, you're covered.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2013, 10:08 PM   #20
matneh
macrumors regular

I have 1 dead pixel on my retina mini. Seems like a statistical probability with that many pixels on the screen! I'm not worried, I even bought it from apple.com.
matneh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad