Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Apple had little choice as they are now down to only 50% of the market and they HAD to come up with something in the size to compete with the Kindle, etc!

From what planet do you get your information from?? Not earth?!?!

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2008
Well, what did you do with your old iPad? I upgraded from iPad 2 to iPad 3 on launch day and basically paid 150€ for that, because I sold my iPad 2 a few days before the announcement. To me, the Retina display was the one technical spec that really brought forward the iPad as a whole.

Kid (16yo) has the iPad2. The iPad1 (release day purchase) is being saved for posterity.

She probably thinks she is cheated for not having a retina display. Or, she's never, ever brought it up because it never occurred to her to care.

----------

This makes sense. The ipad mini has up to 53% more reflections than their competitors.

That I hate. I haven't wanted to put on an antiglare screen protector on the iPad3 because I'd be afraid to lose the resolution. No issue on a mini!

My iPad1 had a ag screen protector and it's even readable at the pool.

----------

It's a waste of money in much the same way that going to Ruth's Chris for a steak is a waste when you can get a steak from Denny's for a lot less.

It's a waste of money like buying another Ruth's Chris steak 20 minutes after eating your first one when you are already still completed sated.

Having $900 to spend and wasting $900 are still different things.

Buying a Denny's steak is like getting a Nexus 7.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
No need to apologize for being sorry.

Wow, I guess I forgot you work at Apple:p

2nd qtr!:rolleyes:

No need to be a dick...

Apple isn't manufacturing screens themselve. Get informed about the industry and you'll see that there is no supplier that is able to produce the necessary screens in the volume that is needed.
First projections for an IGZO screen of that caliber are... wait for it... late 2013!

HowardSmith

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
No need to be a dick...

Apple isn't manufacturing screens themselve. Get informed about the industry and you'll see that there is no supplier that is able to produce the necessary screens in the volume that is needed.
First projections for an IGZO screen of that caliber are... wait for it... late 2013!

Spring or early summer:rolleyes:

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I agree with the OP. When the iPad 3 came out I went to the Apple store to check out the display. I thought I would be surprised by the retina display on it after owning an iPad 2 for a year, but honestly I was underwhelmed. The display does look nice and crisp, but was it light years ahead of the display of the iPad 2? Not to me.

When I upgraded from the iPhone 3G to the iPhone 4 with retina display my jaw dropped. That was the change in display I thought I would kind of see from the iPad 2 to the 3.

I'm getting the Mini after trying it out in the store this past weekend. Loved the form factor and the screen was more than adequate.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I remember when I bought my iPad3 and gave the iPad2 away from to the kid. When I finally got the 3, I remember thinking: I can barely see the difference in the screen; I wonder if I was a dupe for spending all that money for a new iPad.

Its more likely that your eyes are bad. Not an insult, but if you can't see the difference in clarity between an iPad 2 and the iPad 3/4, then your eyes just aren't capable of discernment of such things.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.