Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lazer155

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 5, 2010
I'm looking for an application to help me organize about 500 printed pages that I have. I need a way to scan them all onto my iMac and at the same time assign a number to each one in the corner or some place on the page. I also need the scanned documents to be all assembled into a searchable pdf. Does anyone know of an application that can do this? I have a scanner that can bulk scan but I don't have a program that can number and convert all the pages to a searchable pdf. I searched around on google but am not even sure exactly what a program like this would be called so I didn't have much luck.

While searching around, I found a couple OCR applications but not any that numbered scanned documents. I've never used an OCR app before but from what I read it seems that is the type of program I need.

I also have windows 7 in bootcamp so if there aren't any mac programs that do this, I could always use a windows version recommendation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jlc1978

macrumors 603
Aug 14, 2009
I'm looking for an application to help me organize about 500 printed pages that I have. I need a way to scan them all onto my iMac and at the same time assign a number to each one in the corner or some place on the page. I also need the scanned documents to be all assembled into a searchable pdf. Does anyone know of an application that can do this? I have a scanner that can bulk scan but I don't have a program that can number and convert all the pages to a searchable pdf. I searched around on google but am not even sure exactly what a program like this would be called so I didn't have much luck.
Checkout Vuescan from Hammrick software. It can scan to multipage searchable PDFs. Not sure about page numbers but the developer is great about responding to questions. Plus, it's reasonably priced and is, IMHO, the best scanning utility around.

If it doesn't add page numbers you can add them in Acrobat via the header footer command. Alternatively, vuescan creates text files as well so you could save each page as text (Vuescan lets you create multipage files) and open it in Word, add page numbers, and save as PDF. Not sure if Word creates searchable PDFs and pages that have complex layouts may not convert well.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
Checkout Vuescan from Hammrick software. It can scan to multipage searchable PDFs. Not sure about page numbers but the developer is great about responding to questions. Plus, it's reasonably priced and is, IMHO, the best scanning utility around.

If it doesn't add page numbers you can add them in Acrobat via the header footer command. Alternatively, vuescan creates text files as well so you could save each page as text (Vuescan lets you create multipage files) and open it in Word, add page numbers, and save as PDF. Not sure if Word creates searchable PDFs and pages that have complex layouts may not convert well.

Any updates? I'm looking for something but not excited about spending a bunch on an Adobe product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.