Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smileyface

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2013
Awesome. Can I see that memo Apple sent you confirming that? ;)
Of course I am only speculating but it doesn't make sense they would release a 128gb ipad4 and then less than a month later bring out the ipad5.

It could be possible though.They would then drop the ipad2 but keep the ipad4 as the cheaper model.

tmarks11

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
...I've never used more than 16GB of data. I realize there are some people who will use more than 16GB of data, but those people can also get away with 16GB by consolidating their data, very easily.
Why is it that some people insist on dictating that the world must live by their terms?

"Good enough for me, so it is good enough for everyone".

Different people have different usage models. 2 or 3 other people have already spoken in this thread about how they need more. Got it, you don't, but that doesn't mean they don't.

Remember the 80s? There were some kids who spent hours making the "perfect" mix tape, rather then carrying around a box of cassettes in their car. Most people DIDN'T want to make mix tapes. Just like a lot of people DON'T want to spend hours dragging stuff back and forth to their ipad.

I want 1000 movies in my bag.

Goflex satellite or similar external, wifi enabled drive? Yes, it is the PIA, but it is a solution that exists today instead of waiting for the 2TB ipad to come out (Ipad 35 by my calculation).

EthanNixon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
New Jersey
Why is it that some people insist on dictating that the world must live by their terms?

"Good enough for me, so it is good enough for everyone".

Different people have different usage models. 2 or 3 other people have already spoken in this thread about how they need more. Got it, you don't, but that doesn't mean they don't.

Remember the 80s? There were some kids who spent hours making the "perfect" mix tape, rather then carrying around a box of cassettes in their car. Most people DIDN'T want to make mix tapes. Just like a lot of people DON'T want to spend hours dragging stuff back and forth to their ipad.

Goflex satellite or similar external, wifi enabled drive? Yes, it is the PIA, but it is a solution that exists today instead of waiting for the 2TB ipad to come out (Ipad 35 by my calculation).

Right, I totally said that everyone in the world should use 16GB iPads because it works for me.

What I actually said, was that those people who "claim" to need more storage will never consume all of their content at one time, it's impossible.

I could care less if people buy what I don't have, I still have a BlackBerry, and it's good enough for me. Going by your logic, it should be good enough for you, right?

Internet.

baypharm

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2007
I can't even fill up my 16GB because i use it as a Tablet, not Laptop.

Perhaps in your case, but I know people in healthcare who use these things and 64gb is nowhere near what they need or want in a tablet. Yes I know there are portable drives but that just takes away from the portability of having one tablet to perform your work needs.

mobiletech

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
It will be more then memory and a slimmer design. It is rumoured to have a system on a chip and an Igzo display.

rcp27

macrumors regular
May 12, 2010
When you watch all of those 1000 movies on your "trip", let me know. I've owned every iPad, and some of its competitors, and I've never used more than 16GB of data. I realize there are some people who will use more than 16GB of data, but those people can also get away with 16GB by consolidating their data, very easily.

When you listen to all of those 1000 songs on your "trip", let me know. I've owned a 32 MB mp3 player, and I've never used more than 32 MB of storage on it. I realise there are some people who will use more than 32 MB of data, but those people can get away with 32 MB by consolidating their data, very easily.

In the period after 2001, the market demonstrated that people *really* didn't like this idea for music. If they didn't like it for music, why would they like it for movies?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Unless I missed something? So this is the next generation...just with memory? Does that even count as a new generation? Is so, it's a massive fail for me! :eek:

You missed nothing as there are no spec releases yet. Nobody knows, but I think anyone who has a brain can conclude that the next iPad will have more than a memory increase. What do you mean memory? Capacity?? This is as stupid as people saying the next iPad will be delayed because Apple released a 128GB model recently. Again, unbelievable....are members here getting dumber by the day? The amount of idiotic threads being started is truly ridiculous (UK meaning)!

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
You missed nothing as there are no spec releases yet. Nobody knows, but I think anyone who has a brain can conclude that the next iPad will have more than a memory increase. What do you mean memory? Capacity?? This is as stupid as people saying the next iPad will be delayed because Apple released a 128GB model recently. Again, unbelievable....are members here getting dumber by the day? The amount of idiotic threads being started is truly ridiculous (UK meaning)!
Care to explain why you think this is stupid?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Of course I am only speculating but it doesn't make sense they would release a 128gb ipad4 and then less than a month later bring out the ipad5.

It could be possible though.They would then drop the ipad2 but keep the ipad4 as the cheaper model.

Why not? 128GB only involves adding two 64GB flash chips in the same place where there were two 32GB flash chips. Very simple to change at this stage of production. It's a chance for Apple to sell more of this iPad before the new one comes to those who want (think they need) 128GB.

----------

Care to explain why you think this is stupid?

See the post below! (Or above) 128 was and is a marketing technique to squeeze some more profit out of this design, targeting the consumers who always longed for 128GB - gives them an incentive to buy an iPad, where perhaps previously they would not have.

Last edited by a moderator:

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
Why not? 128GB only involves adding two 64GB flash chips in the same place where there were two 32GB flash chips. Very simple to change at this stage of production. It's a chance for Apple to sell more of this iPad before the new one comes to those who want (think they need) 128GB.

----------

See the post below! (Or above) 128 was and is a marketing technique to squeeze some more profit out of this design, targeting the consumers who always longed for 128GB - gives them an incentive to buy an iPad, where perhaps previously they would not have.
Why not just wait with the 128GB announcement until March, announce it at the same time as iPad 5 and discontinue iPad 2? Don't really buy the fact that they'd want to squeeze money out of people for a month or so...

Last edited by a moderator:

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
I have a Mini. I know the 16 I have is NOT enough ....for me. It's just fine for most things.
But I like to make hd movies in iMovie with it.
Problem is, by the time I have all apps I like, then add the video to iPad to be edited, there's barely enough render room.
I could really make use of 64 or 128.
But I can't afford it. I sold a google nexus 7 32gb cause it SUCKED!!!!
But the only thing it had over my mini was storage.
I'd love apple to offer a 32 at current 16 price
I'm waiting on buy a second mini
This thing is so loved in my house I can't get any play with it.
But I'm waiting to see if a mini 2nd gen is offered soon with maybe A6X, more RAM and retina. I'd like at least a 32 in that.
It's amazing what my current mini and iPhone 5 can do as far as rendering hd video.
I remember about 5yrs ago you needed a hell of a desktop to do it.
My phone is faster at it than the mini, but I like the big screen.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Why not just wait with the 128GB announcement until March, announce it at the same time as iPad 5 and discontinue iPad 2? Don't really buy the fact that they'd want to squeeze money out of people for a month or so...

...because in March nobody will want a 4 anymore. In business, especially for Apple, one month is a long time. Plus, the 128GB might increase lower sales for the 4 (due to the Mini) too.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden
...because in March nobody will want a 4 anymore. In business, especially for Apple, one month is a long time. Plus, the 128GB might increase lower sales for the 4 (due to the Mini) too.

I don't know who u are or what u do but no, a month is not a lot of time for a product, especially not one in the Decline stage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.