Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 9, 2013, 03:53 PM   #176
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

I hope....

the title of this thread is a real fact, not only an assumption. Altough no one knows the exact numbering of Apple internal builds (beside the people REALLY working on them), I really hope Apple delivers a top of the line, modern OS. Really stable, supporting better GPUs and new I/O options right out the box. I know eye candy and integration with iOS is a must to many and I dont want to enter in that discussion. Not important to me, tough....

Old Jun 9, 2013, 03:56 PM   #177
Michael Goff
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsan View Post
the title of this thread is a real fact, not only an assumption. Altough no one knows the exact numbering of Apple internal builds (beside the people REALLY working on them), I really hope Apple delivers a top of the line, modern OS. Really stable, supporting better GPUs and new I/O options right out the box. I know eye candy and integration with iOS is a must to many and I dont want to enter in that discussion. Not important to me, tough....

Stable? Like... the advice of waiting for either the .1 or .2 release being able to be completely retired? Not having the initial version mess with battery life and wifi?

ONE CAN ONLY DREAM.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 04:09 PM   #178
ratsg
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakesokhea View Post
OS X 10.9 - Sea Lion

There is pictures of waves
Or OS X 10.9 - Sea Kittens

http://features.peta.org/PETASeaKittens/
ratsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 04:16 PM   #179
seveej
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFitzgerald View Post
Here's what I'd like to see:

SNIP

Number Two - Improved Finder. I mean, really, improve the damn thing. I want the items to adapt to the window size, cut via cmd-x (I know, there's a move shortcut, but why not a damn cmd-x?!), middle click to open folder, tabs (middle click would allow new tab or new window), the snap to the sides from Windows 7...heck just get XtraFinder/Hyperdock/PathFinder into OSX;

Number Two.One - Still in finder, make delete easier. When deleting app, make it like using AppCleaner, it gets all the trash from it and deletes it and for USB Drives, don't make me use the Recycle Bin, just delete it in one go;
Yeah, c'mon you cupertino coders. Finder is just about as close as you can get to a joke in a OS - unless you aim it squarely at people, who's previous computing device was a pen and paper.

Crazy enough, very many people whine about Finder, but there still are no really good third party solutions out there (I know about totalfinder, pathfinder - I've even given muCommander a try , so if you want, drop a hint)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFitzgerald View Post
OFF 10.9
- Update iWork, I mean COME ON!!! It's been Four Years;
Agree. In fact, I'm still running iWork08, and again, the reason is the same old - not sufficient reason to update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDI_EVIL View Post
Please Apple, just 'optimise'! Don't keep adding novelty features and watering it down. Just optimise the damn thing!
Agree. I'm here sitting in a household with three intel mac rigs, and they all run 10.6.8. I've extensively used every MacOS version since 10.3, so I consider my choice to be "enlightened", although YMMV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudi View Post
I don't understand these Snow Leopard fans at all.

Maybe I could go without major new features like:
AppStore - exists in 10.6
iCloud - feel no need. Sure, if you want all your devices to have the same data clogging their limited space, or you've never heard of dropbox...
AutoSave - I agree that was a major new catastrophe
Dictation - You mean that this actually works for you? I haven't yet seen anyone using it (except some californian dude whose "english" was understandable by his mac, albeit not the rest of faculty)
FullScreen - as noted by someone above, the suitability of full screen is dependent largely on your setup and usage manner. Apple's error is in assuming that everyone use a computer similarly.
MissionControl - I can admit it's a feature, but few people I've met consider it a distinct improvement (and you tactically omit mention of launchpad)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudi View Post
But than there's also things like
UnnaturalScrolling - Natural is what comes naturally to you. Those who use a mouse, prefer the old way - as do many of the people interfacing through trackpads - magic or not.
PermanentScrollbars - interestingly, back in the days of OS < 10, Apple was renowned as one of the few companies, which gave their developers guidelines regarding application design, based mainly on striving for usability. One of the central tenets in usability design is that users must be able to see the state of the application/process/window at a glance, and I agree. I do not like having to scroll to see at what point of a document I am or how long the document is.
ReflectiveDock - criticism granted
and SeparateSearchField - I might be mistaken, but aren't you now mentioning a safari - feature? In any case, I admit liking the separate search field - it helps keep things in their proper order.

RGDS,
, and a lot of other gear.
seveej is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 08:03 AM   #180
Lolito
macrumors 6502

I used totalfinder quite a lot. But extrafinder is a million times better. Love it. Just another feature apple will copy, just like they did copying growl.

----------

Problem with apple new osx version is always third party apps. So this time, if they don't seed to developers, these problems will be even larger.

I was always an early adopter but i gave up, it's really not worthy anymore...
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:39 AM   #181
milo
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDI_EVIL View Post
Please Apple, just 'optimise'! Don't keep adding novelty features and watering it down. Just optimise the damn thing!
Totally agree. I'd happily pay for an upgrade that let apps like Logic run more efficiently. It has been a major drag seeing performance drop from 10.6 on.
milo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 10:06 AM   #182
TimUSCA
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu chao View Post
How is Mission Control much different than Exposé and Spaces accessed via a common screen?
It's exactly this. I never used Expose or Spaces before because I didn't find them useful at all... but with them combined in it's current layout, I think it's usefulness is much improved.
TimUSCA is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 04:45 PM   #183
satcomer
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by vladobizik View Post
But will it blend?
No it's software. However they showed it working on multiple displays including AppleTV connected TVs. That is huge! I can see if apple spreads this across other Macs (going out to AppleTV as a second display) it should be boon to people buying AppleTVs.

Last edited by satcomer; Jun 12, 2013 at 08:21 AM.
satcomer is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 05:27 AM   #184
tywebb13
macrumors 6502

Mavericks DP1 has build number 13A476u
tywebb13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:54 AM   #185
iFitzgerald
macrumors newbie

Seems like a lot of what I wanted was introduced!

- Performance improvements with App Nap, Timer Coalescence and OpenGL 4.0.

- Improved Finder with the tabs I mentioned. Tags seems interesting too, and there must be a few more things there.

- No skeuomorphism!

- iCloud is more powerful. I mentioned integrating iCloud into iWork, I was right in my guessing. Password sync is great too.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by runeapple View Post
Number 4 you can ungroup applications which then makes it pretty much expose.

Number 5 you can already have save and save as either press the alt key when pressing file menu or go into system preferences > keyboard > keyboard shortcuts > application shortcuts.

Then add new one write save as… with keyboard shortcut shift command s

Your welcome.
I have them ungrouped and it's better but I just don't like the Spaces + Exposé Merged as Mission Control. The Spaces were bigger before, but I read about an app that restores that behavior so I'll look into that.

As for the save, my problem is mainly the version saves. I would prefer if I could turn that off.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion