Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hodda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Hi all

New to forum as I have just purchased a 27" 680MX and wanted to have a look at some games for it - looking to bootcamp soon but for now thought id try steam and DL FTL.

Made the purchase but steam just says "steam needs to be online to update, please confirm network connection and try again etc'

Have looked through many sites and searched this forum but most seem to deal with older gen macs an OS also tried the deleting / changing registry entry - any ideas?

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Steam is definitely glitchy but I don't experience that particular issue under Bootcamp.

Have you tried running Steam in the Offline Mode?

hodda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Steam is definitely glitchy but I don't experience that particular issue under Bootcamp.

Have you tried running Steam in the Offline Mode?

I dont even get that far - download steam to install and get it into applications, then click to open and it needs to update but then gives me the message:mad:

Reactions: Howard Brazee

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
I dont even get that far - download steam to install and get it into applications, then click to open and it needs to update but then gives me the message:mad:

Have you tried this?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2676360

----------

Or this:

I had a similar problem, fixed it thanks to Lavec's post, here's what I did:

Open up your Finder, Applications, Utilities, Terminal.
Terminal should launch – if you're not familiar with it, don't worry, do exactly what I say and you should be fine.
Type:
cd /
cd Applications
cd Steam.app
cd Contents
cd MacOS
./steam.sh

That should run Steam and it'll begin updating, exactly as you'd tried before, except this time, you have the log of what's happening on your terminal. Let it run until you get the error. Close the dialog box and look at the terminal log, you should see this message:

"SteamUpdater: Error: Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

Somewhere above it there's "Failed! (some link that starts with http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/)", copy the link and paste it into your browser – that should download the file. As soon as the download finish, move the file to Steam.app, that is: open Finder, Applications, control-click Steam icon and select "Show Package Contents". It will open a new window with a single folder named Contents. Open it, the MacOS, then package. That's where the download file should go. After putting it there, you can restart the installation double-clicking the Steam icon or using Terminal (if you still have it open, just type ./steam.sh again).

Thanks for the excellent idea, Lavec, I wouldn't figure it out if it weren't for you =) Hope this helps, guys!

hodda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Have you tried this?

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2676360

----------

Or this:

I had a similar problem, fixed it thanks to Lavec's post, here's what I did:

Open up your Finder, Applications, Utilities, Terminal.
Terminal should launch – if you're not familiar with it, don't worry, do exactly what I say and you should be fine.
Type:
cd /
cd Applications
cd Steam.app
cd Contents
cd MacOS
./steam.sh

That should run Steam and it'll begin updating, exactly as you'd tried before, except this time, you have the log of what's happening on your terminal. Let it run until you get the error. Close the dialog box and look at the terminal log, you should see this message:

"SteamUpdater: Error: Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

Somewhere above it there's "Failed! (some link that starts with http://cdn.store.steampowered.com/)", copy the link and paste it into your browser – that should download the file. As soon as the download finish, move the file to Steam.app, that is: open Finder, Applications, control-click Steam icon and select "Show Package Contents". It will open a new window with a single folder named Contents. Open it, the MacOS, then package. That's where the download file should go. After putting it there, you can restart the installation double-clicking the Steam icon or using Terminal (if you still have it open, just type ./steam.sh again).

Thanks for the excellent idea, Lavec, I wouldn't figure it out if it weren't for you =) Hope this helps, guys!

Thanks for taking time to reply, when it comes to mac total newb -finding it tricky atm to say the least!

Ok, when I open terminal and get to the cd steam.app entry it returns a no such file or directory response.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Ok, when I open terminal and get to the cd steam.app entry it returns a no such file or directory response.

Check if you have Steam.app in your applications.

When typing in Terminal, the first command is: cd [space] /

Not just cd/.;)

hodda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2013
Check if you have Steam.app in your applications.

When typing in Terminal, the first command is: cd [space] /

Not just cd/.;)

Ok, looks like this worked many thanks - I think the problem was a combo of me assuming that if I dragged the steam onto apps bar this meant it was in the apps folder and the problem with steam (sorted using those bits in terminal) - think ive got a bit to learn, anyway downloading FTL now so thanks again:)

Rampage

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
No URL

I was happy to find this posting. It seemed like the most practical posting on this problem I'd seen. I ran the commands in terminal, as per instructions; Steam launched, the predictible error message about the Internet connection came out.

But in the Terminal log, I couldn't find a URL to copy and paste into my browser. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last login: Sun Apr 14 16:38:18 on ttys001
Dons-Mac-mini:~ Home1$ cd /
Dons-Mac-mini:/ Home1$ cd applications
Dons-Mac-mini:applications Home1$ cd Steam.app
Dons-Mac-mini:Steam.app Home1$ cd Contents
Dons-Mac-mini:Contents Home1$ cd MacOS
Dons-Mac-mini:MacOS Home1$ ./steam.sh
found breakpad via in process memory: '/Applications/Steam.app/Contents/MacOS/Frameworks/Breakpad.framework/Versions/A/Resources'
Installing breakpad crash handler
SteamID: 0, universe Public
unlinked 0 orphaned pipes
$$$: Status -10811
objc[1601]: Object 0x599960 of class __NSCFString autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking - break on objc_autoreleaseNoPool() to debug
objc[1601]: Object 0x148ddf0 of class NSConcreteData autoreleased with no pool in place - just leaking - break on objc_autoreleaseNoPool() to debug
Failed to load Steam Service
ServiceStart: failed to start
SteamID: 76561198088590431, universe Public
SteamDoc.cpp (1492) : Assertion Failed: CSteamDoc::GetSubscription: missing subscription stats
Assert( Assertion Failed: CSteamDoc::GetSubscription: missing subscription stats ):/Users/buildbot/buildslave_steam/steam_rel_client_osx/build/src/steamUI/SteamDoc.cpp:1492

Steam error: SteamMountFilesystem(1601,160,0x93b7328=,0xbfffb0e0) failed with error 101: Not logged in
KQ: Error reading KQ:Interrupted system call
Shutting down. . .
unlinked 2 orphaned pipes
CAsyncIOManager: 0 threads terminating. 0 reads, 0 writes, 0 deferrals.
CAsyncIOManager: 997 single object sleeps, 81 multi object sleeps
CAsyncIOManager: 0 single object alertable sleeps, 1 multi object alertable sleeps
Dons-Mac-mini:MacOS Home1$

leftofdead

macrumors newbie
Dec 20, 2013
The command line didn't work for me. So, I downloaded Steam again and dropped it on my desktop instead of into the Applications folder. I double clicked the icon and Steam began updating as expected. The connection was successful and the Steam portal came up. Seems like it's fixed...

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Do not let steam assimilate you, I get plenty of games without using it, steam is just full of the mainline dross and games that do not work. Their customer relations are complete rubbish, they just do not care about you as a customer, I know I have dealt with them, their attitude stinks. Games I do have on there which is very very few I either got in the early days, or fell for in respect of not reading the tiny print on physical or digital games I bought from somewhere else. Most of them have now been replaced so I do not have to touch steam.

I used to bemoan bootcamp but once you try it just for games then it is just like having a games machine and works really well, do not forget most Mac games on steam are just Win/Cider wraps anyway, yes I run wrapped games where possible, just buy the physical PC version making sure it does NOT need steam then go to either Paul The Talls site or the Porting team for the wrappers.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Welcome to the MR forums! :)

As a rule, you should not have to be using the Terminal for Steam* In many cases it's just as easy to try back later, or reinstall Steam from scratch. I have reinstalled several times to fix an issue. The Steam game content folder is located in a different place then the Steam application so if you have not moved the Steam content folder out of its default location, you can reinstall Steam and still maintain a link to downloaded content.

*The Terminal can come into play when moving Steam downloaded game content out of its default location.

Of note there are specific steps required to move Steam content out of its default location in such a way that the Steam application can still see it. There is a Mac Rumor guide on this, but unfortunately after a recent hack of the site, the Guides have been taken down for now. I have no idea if and when they will return. I'm considering formatting this info as a Google doc for consumption. :)

Last edited:

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
Do not let steam assimilate you, I get plenty of games without using it, steam is just full of the mainline dross and games that do not work.
Games that don't work and mainline dross? Are we looking at the same Steam store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.