Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:44 AM   #1
xArtx
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Large App Icon 1024x1024

Hi Guys,
If anyone wants to have a crack at this for kicks it would be appreciated:



The file I uploaded to Photobucket was a png,
and Photobucket doesn't seem to have wrecked it.
I also have a solid background if it helps.

The app is a freebie, so I ain't paying either!
Mainly a demo for new programmers where they came from programming for the Sony PSP,
to show how to use a screen buffer.

Cheers, Art.
xArtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:14 AM   #2
iamgalactic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	somethingfornothing.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	427971  
iamgalactic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:20 AM   #3
xArtx
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Lol, why the unicorn, and the plasma made of dots?

I meant, in keeping with what I have, but I'm only learning with Gimp,
and there are things I can't do with it, like finishing off the sheen that
is supposed to be over the display.

(There's no iPad version, I would have to cheat at that resolution).

What software is that?
xArtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:29 AM   #4
iamgalactic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
because I'm not taking your request seriously - you are asking people to work for free.

read this http://www.nospec.com/faq

what you have isn't very good.
trying to include a picture of an iPhone on an app icon is a terrible idea.

the software is photoshop.
iamgalactic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:33 AM   #5
xArtx
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgalactic View Post
because I'm not taking your request seriously - you are asking people to work for free.

read this http://www.nospec.com/faq

what you have isn't very good.
trying to include a picture of an iPhone on an app icon is a terrible idea.

the software is photoshop.
I'm asking a hobbyist to have a go if they feel like it (I said "for kicks").
I'm also producing the app for free,
and executables & source for two platforms to help people move from one to the other,
hosted on a web site with videos of it running on each.

It's a goodwill project.
xArtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 11:40 AM   #6
iamgalactic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
ask for help, advice and guidance - don't ask people to work for free
iamgalactic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 12:48 PM   #7
xArtx
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgalactic View Post
ask for help, advice and guidance - don't ask people to work for free
Ok,
Any help on what I asked about please
Preferably with Gimp.
The best I'd aim for now is clumsy. I would have to make a triangle with transparency and layer it,
but that sounds like the long way round, and I haven't quite got a handle on even doing that the quickest way.

The phone on the angle is ok, there's meant to be another mobile device
underneath, facing the opposite direction, but I don't know how detailed that
silhouette should be yet (showing another identifiable platform would be pushing it).
xArtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 03:27 PM   #8
iamgalactic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Ok, let's think about what you're app is.

It's an app for programmers - specifically PSP programmers?

An app icon should tell you communicate a little about what it's purpose is. That plasma graphic and the phones don't really do that - as far as i can tell with the info you've given us so far.

More info - better advice!
iamgalactic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:29 PM   #9
chumawumba
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
A very crude version I made in 5 minutes with Photoshop.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1024.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	859.6 KB
ID:	428032  
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 04:30 PM   #10
chumawumba
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post
Lol, why the unicorn, and the plasma made of dots?

I meant, in keeping with what I have, but I'm only learning with Gimp,
and there are things I can't do with it, like finishing off the sheen that
is supposed to be over the display.

(There's no iPad version, I would have to cheat at that resolution).

What software is that?
Don't even bother with the sheen, iOS 7 is moving away from it.
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:42 PM   #11
xArtx
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
That was the first thing that came to mind, but seemingly plain.
THat's what the actual app icon might have to be on the device.
The lack of sheen is not so evident when the scale is reduced by the app store,
so I might plug away with it..
xArtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:50 AM   #12
iamgalactic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
Don't even bother with the sheen, iOS 7 is moving away from it.
the sheen is added automatically by setting the UIPrerenderedIcon flag in the plist - you don't add it to the icon image

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
A very crude version I made in 5 minutes with Photoshop.
that is terrible, and not helping the OP. apple can reject apps based on crappy icons.
iamgalactic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:37 AM   #13
xArtx
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgalactic View Post

that is terrible, and not helping the OP. apple can reject apps based on crappy icons.
The other plasma app has an icon just like that, but might have been made
before retina displays... never got updated for 4 inch displays.
xArtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 01:09 PM   #14
chumawumba
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post
The other plasma app has an icon just like that, but might have been made
before retina displays... never got updated for 4 inch displays.
Here is my second try
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1024  x 1024.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	791.0 KB
ID:	428210  
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 11:25 PM   #15
xArtx
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
Here is my second try
The app uses a bitmap screen buffer, so I could have it write a 1024x1024
bitmap, and choose an effect if I wanted to go that way.
Maybe just for the small app icons if I need to.

The app is telling iTunes the icons are prerendered, so they don't get sheen applied by
the App Store. I was talking about the sheen on the iPhone display I have
messed up by putting the plasma screenshot there.

There are apps with clear images of a PSP console in the App Store, but I don't
quite like the idea... they would have no permission to use those trademarks.

I do need something happening in the other direction opposite the iPhone,
but can't quite think of anything appropriate.
Maybe a unicorn horn?
xArtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:44 PM   #16
chumawumba
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post
The app uses a bitmap screen buffer, so I could have it write a 1024x1024
bitmap, and choose an effect if I wanted to go that way.
Maybe just for the small app icons if I need to.

The app is telling iTunes the icons are prerendered, so they don't get sheen applied by
the App Store. I was talking about the sheen on the iPhone display I have
messed up by putting the plasma screenshot there.

There are apps with clear images of a PSP console in the App Store, but I don't
quite like the idea... they would have no permission to use those trademarks.

I do need something happening in the other direction opposite the iPhone,
but can't quite think of anything appropriate.
Maybe a unicorn horn?

...So did you like the icon or not?
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:09 PM   #17
xArtx
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
...So did you like the icon or not?
What I'm saying is it's the first idea I had,
and wouldn't have come to a forum to produce it when my app can
produce that image on it's own.

So yes and no... I think it may be the small icon that has to look like that,
but I don't like it for the large 1024x1024 icon.
I like what I have better than that (but thanks for having a go).
xArtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:27 PM   #18
chumawumba
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post
What I'm saying is it's the first idea I had,
and wouldn't have come to a forum to produce it when my app can
produce that image on it's own.

So yes and no... I think it may be the small icon that has to look like that,
but I don't like it for the large 1024x1024 icon.
I like what I have better than that (but thanks for having a go).
Alright well I was glad to help
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:55 AM   #19
iamgalactic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post

There are apps with clear images of a PSP console in the App Store, but I don't
quite like the idea... they would have no permission to use those trademarks.
this shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't use an image of the PSP that you don't have the rights to use - i.e. draw one yourself, or look for a free resource

you seem happy to use the image of the iPhone that you have in your version of your icon - what's the difference between that and the PSP?
iamgalactic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 07:52 AM   #20
xArtx
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgalactic View Post
this shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't use an image of the PSP that you don't have the rights to use - i.e. draw one yourself, or look for a free resource

you seem happy to use the image of the iPhone that you have in your version of your icon - what's the difference between that and the PSP?
I don't think Apple are going to sue me,
but I wouldn't use their image on another platform.
xArtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:08 PM   #21
ratsg
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
I don't care what anyone says, that bucktooth unicorn rocks. It would be difficult to improve on, but it it could, some cowbell just might do the trick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xArtx View Post
Lol, why the unicorn, and the plasma made of dots?

I meant, in keeping with what I have, but I'm only learning with Gimp,
and there are things I can't do with it, like finishing off the sheen that
is supposed to be over the display.

(There's no iPad version, I would have to cheat at that resolution).

What software is that?
ratsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:11 PM   #22
iMerik
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsg View Post
I don't care what anyone says, that bucktooth unicorn rocks. It would be difficult to improve on, but it it could, some cowbell just might do the trick.
Great suggestion!
iMerik is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:50 PM   #23
xArtx
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratsg View Post
I don't care what anyone says, that bucktooth unicorn rocks. It would be difficult to improve on, but it it could, some cowbell just might do the trick.
I wish I could do the shadow behind it!

The background is poor!
xArtx is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Change 1024x1024 Icon? xArtx iPhone/iPad Programming 3 Mar 19, 2013 07:57 PM
1024x1024 UIUImage limit xArtx iPhone/iPad Programming 5 Mar 8, 2013 09:27 PM
iPad: Ipad mini, why 1024x1024? Abecedario UI Customization 1 Dec 15, 2012 09:40 AM
iTunesConnect now requires 1024x1024 images SplitIt! App Store Business, Legal and Marketıng 5 Aug 6, 2012 08:04 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC