Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hlkc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
AT&T iP5 LTE user here. Any possible way not to JB and able to tether/hotspot with other Apple devices? I don't want to pay extra to AT&T hotspot the iPad Mini and/or MBA when travel... Yes, I should switched it to Verizon but families & friends are with AT&T :eek:

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
Not at the moment, not with out paying the AT&T fee.... Or Jailbreaking.

I was lucky enough to catch the "Tether" while in the app store before it got removed. I haven't used it in a while but I'm assuming it still works lol.

I also remember "Handy Light" which was a flash light app that secretly allowed you to tether, but that also got removed fairly quickly.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
This is one reason I moved to Verizon. While I don't use FaceTime or Hotspot often, I have several times in non-WiFi areas and it was very useful. Very glad VZ allows these features. I was with ATT for over eight years.

TomTomTuning

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2010
Central PA
This is one reason I moved to Verizon. While I don't use FaceTime or Hotspot often, I have several times in non-WiFi areas and it was very useful. Very glad VZ allows these features. I was with ATT for over eight years.
I'm almost ready to board the VZN boat if AT&T doesn't get their act together soon. I've been with AT&T for about 7 years.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
The only reason Verizon is offering tethering now is because they put new customers on their mobile share plans. The plans save you money if you have more than two devices on the same account. If you have just one or two devices, you end up paying roughly as much as you would have on an individual plan with mobile hotspot feature. And you have no option for anything cheaper.

To customers on legacy individual plans with no hotspot add-on, you get the warning page.

On the other hand, you can get tethering on AT&T if you're willing to pay as much as you would on Verizon. So, it's a wash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.