Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old May 17, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1
GKDAIR
macrumors regular

Is there anyway to tell what is taking up space on my computer?

So I have 42 gigs worth of apps and I honestly have NO idea where it's all coming from.

I have no apps from itunes, and I don't have any games installed on my computer, except for Sims 3.

I can't tell what exactly is causing so much space to be taken up. The only other apps I have are simple apps that only take a few megabytes, nothing that takes up gigs. Even total there's no way it's 42 gigs, I'd be surprised if it's even over 3-4 gigs.
GKDAIR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 06:31 PM   #2
SandboxGeneral

There are some free apps that will tell you and some paid ones as well. I happen to use a paid one called DaisyDisk.
Old May 17, 2013, 06:34 PM   #3
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating my space
For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 09:03 PM   #4
DisplacedMic
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandboxGeneral View Post
There are some free apps that will tell you and some paid ones as well. I happen to use a paid one called DaisyDisk.
another vote for daisydis. is awesome.
DisplacedMic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 05:19 AM   #5
opinio
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKDAIR View Post
So I have 42 gigs worth of apps and I honestly have NO idea where it's all coming from.

I have no apps from itunes, and I don't have any games installed on my computer, except for Sims 3.

I can't tell what exactly is causing so much space to be taken up. The only other apps I have are simple apps that only take a few megabytes, nothing that takes up gigs. Even total there's no way it's 42 gigs, I'd be surprised if it's even over 3-4 gigs.
You could run Onyx (app) to do a clean?
opinio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 10:00 AM   #6
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKDAIR View Post

That info comes from the Spotlight index and sometimes it gets corrupted and causes wrong info to show. Try a Spotlight reindex by running the command below in Terminal, then check the reading again.

Code:
sudo mdutil -E /
Weaselboy is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 06:00 PM   #7
GKDAIR
macrumors regular

Yeah I had DasiyDisk as well, I ran it and it only showed about 20+ gigs worth of stuff,

The "Other" section is fine, it was "Apps" that was taking up so much space.

I ran that command and right now I am waiting for it to finish.

Ok, the command worked. It cleared up a good 20 gigs and now everything looks in order. Thanks! I gotta remember that command.

Last edited by GKDAIR; May 18, 2013 at 07:30 PM.
GKDAIR is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air