Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I currently am using a 2009 Mac Mini, 4gb ram w/ 2.53 GHz as a home theater, and with remodeling coming I'm planning to add two Apple TVs to my network.

Right now I have no issue recording television with my Elgato EyeTV, exporting files from EyeTV while watching TV from Front Row. Should adding two Apple TVs strain the Mini?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If you're doing all of those things simultaneously, maybe it would strain it. Will you be streaming your iTunes library from the mini to the two ATV's also simultaneously? You HDD speed may be a factor if you're doing all that stuff.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I have 4 ATV's on my network. Theoretically just streaming video to an AppleTV should be very minimal CPU and really Minimal data stream as well. Maybe if you were watching something on the Mini, converting and serving two streams you might run into issues with data streams, but I couldn't be sure until you try it. Just serving the data shouldn't be a problem.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I currently am using a 2009 Mac Mini, 4gb ram w/ 2.53 GHz as a home theater, and with remodeling coming I'm planning to add two Apple TVs to my network.

Right now I have no issue recording television with my Elgato EyeTV, exporting files from EyeTV while watching TV from Front Row. Should adding two Apple TVs strain the Mini?

You've left out the most important pieces of info:

What is your ISP? Run Speedtest.net to let us know what your maximum upload and download speeds are?
What is your wireless router?

Without those tidbits, we can't know how close to saturating your wireless infrastructure you may be.

thatsmyfish

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
Thanks all,

Irishman, 25.49 MBps download speed, 4.41 MBps upload speed. Since revised plans and may have 3 Apple TVs if possible. Would obviously see how it handles the workload, but just hoping someone else out there is one step ahead of me. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.