Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheMadBrewer

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Marina del Rey, CA
Not angry, but if I knew the mini was coming out this soon, I would not have bought my iPad3 and just lived with my iPad2.

Of course, this is why Apple didn't tell the world :)

recharge23

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2012
Seoul, South Korea
i was a little peeved at first but now that some time has passed, i'm glad apple is trying to stay ahead of the curve. that said, i think i'll be in the market for the second generation mini whenever they decide to release it. love the size.

Booji

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2011
Tokyo
i was a little peeved at first but now that some time has passed, i'm glad apple is trying to stay ahead of the curve. that said, i think i'll be in the market for the second generation mini whenever they decide to release it. love the size.

I feel the same way. At first I was peeved, but after playing with a 4, I saw the difference in speed is really not that apparent in real life. I was going to upgrade, but its just not worth it for this cycle.

Apple had to upgrade - with the Nexus 10 out its quickly becoming a spec war.

OTACORB

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2009
Central, Louisiana
I feel the same way. At first I was peeved, but after playing with a 4, I saw the difference in speed is really not that apparent in real life. I was going to upgrade, but its just not worth it for this cycle.

Apple had to upgrade - with the Nexus 10 out its quickly becoming a spec war.

Hurray finally and iPad 3 owner that gets it! CONGRATS!

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
If Apple still sold the iPad 3 brand new for the iPad 2's price then I would not have been mad. But they completely disposed of the iPad 3 and are selling their refurbished versions for such a low price that it makes me feel that they know they made a mistake by releasing it with a A5X cheap instead of waiting for the A6X chip to be ready.

I don't mind owning something that isn't top of the line anymore. I mind when I feel that a company made a mistake rushes a new product out.

BB.King

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
London UK
Where did you do that ?

eBay, I just picked it up today. In the UK, the 64GB 3G ipad 3 is going for same price as a new 32GB WIFI ipad 4.

The one I brought have marks from normal use on the back, and dont have the box, charger and cable (did have receipt). I'm not going to complain too much for the price I paid (£400) same as new 16GB ipad 4 WIFI.

The speed difference is not that much slower compared the ipad 4 I brought on Friday. So the ipad 4 is going back to Apple after work.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I'm angry, because the resale value tanked on my old new iPad. I've been upgrading yearly and not losing too much -- kind of like renting it for 10 or 15 dollars a month. Not this time, though. I'll definitely skip the 4, and probably the 5 too if it is in the Spring. It just isn't worth it to me.

It sucks, but that is the game, and I knew the risks going into this. I'm more angry with myself I guess for not reading the tea leaves better.

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
I'm not angry anymore, I did the math, realized that all I would get from selling my ipad3 was $250, which would leave me having to fork over another $380 to get an ipad4 with Applecare +. I decided to not do that & instead am donating my now discontinued iPad 3 to a wonderful charity organization & simply going without a tablet.

The charity gets a device that hopefully will be useful to them & I get to remove a device from my home that I am no longer happy about owning, a win, win.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Only immature, self-entititled were angry... like a toddler who is denied mom or dad's cell phone to play with.

Anyone who is still angry needs counseling. Seriously, something is missing in their life to be so consumed by this, esp such a minor upgrade.

kmj2318

macrumors 68000
Aug 22, 2007
Naples, FL
Not angry at all, I can't imagine how people can be. If you expected the piece of hardware to last you a year, what difference does it make that Apple released an updated version. It can still last you a year either way. Nothing about your device has changed because of the 4th gen, other than it not being the latest device out, in which case you have other issues. :p

I think its a good thing for Apple to update the full size iPad twice a year, I hope they continue it.

Meanee

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2011
"ZOMG my device lost value after I used it". Seriously?

Why should you be mad about it? It does the job you purchased it for, correct? Is it not doing something that you need it to do, and only next gen iPad does? What did you think, you bought iPad and Apple was like "Ok, Joe bought his iPad. Wrap up R&D, we are done here"

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
I got $400 on Amazon for my 16GB WiFi only iPad 3. Not sure what people are complaining about.

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
One GOOD thing about the iPad 3 is that it has a 30-pin adapter. Hear me out:

My wife has my old iPhone 4s and an iPad 3 that I got her for her b-day on 3/16. It really does everything we need it to do AND when she's out and about, she can carry ONE charger that will work for both her iPad and her iPhone rather than having to carry mutliple cables around.

That's about all I got though... only "silver lining" I could find in the buthumping that Apple handed us.

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Not angry about the device itself - I couldn't care less as I wouldn't upgrade my 3rd gen this soon anyway. What I am concerned about is that Apple will obsolete the 3rd gen iPad in much quicker fashion, say by iOS 8 (just like the iPad 1 is unable to upgrade to iOS 6) just because they set the new performance bar for iOS to the 4th gen iPad for the next couple of iOSs. Of course, it sounds ludicrous to exclude it so soon, but that's exactly how it worked for the iPad 1 despite the iPod touch with practically the same innards receiving that upgrade. It could easily be the same here.

chukronos

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2004
Colleyville, TX
I couldn't care less about upgrading to the iPad4. Especially, after seeing the youtube video showing a negligible real world difference, and in some instances, the iPad3 loading image heavy webpages faster.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't happy that they upgraded the iPad3 so quickly - compared to their usual ios upgrade cycle. But, I still think the 3 is a thing of beauty.

Depending on how much the iPad3 is worth on craigslist, and if any apps won't work on it, I may upgrade to the iPad5 in March. As of right now, I plan on keeping it until the March 2014 ipad (8th, 9th gen? ;) )

Geekbabe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2011
Not angry at all, I can't imagine how people can be. If you expected the piece of hardware to last you a year, what difference does it make that Apple released an updated version. It can still last you a year either way. Nothing about your device has changed because of the 4th gen, other than it not being the latest device out, in which case you have other issues. :p

I think its a good thing for Apple to update the full size iPad twice a year, I hope they continue it.

A lot of folks were used to selling their year old devices & recouping a good bit of their money to put towards an upgrade. That isn't going to be happening with the iPad 3 since Apple dumped them all into the refurb store at bargain basement prices. That stings for a lot of people, particularly those who bought higher end models.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
People with the iPad 3 who complain need to practice patience. Yes the processor in the 4 is much better but ultimately you bought the 3 for the screen not the processor since it's equal to the iPad 2 in performance and we knew this from day 1.

The iPad3 will be a sought after device in the near future. It's the last iPad to use the 30 pin connector. There are a ton of people out there with iPhone 4's and 4S's who will be searching for iPad 3's instead of 4's so they can keep using all their cables. Chill out for a bit, your resale may have briefly dipped at the 4's announcement but it will be back up - you'll see.

SilentLoner

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
A lot of folks were used to selling their year old devices & recouping a good bit of their money to put towards an upgrade. That isn't going to be happening with the iPad 3 since Apple dumped them all into the refurb store at bargain basement prices. That stings for a lot of people, particularly those who bought higher end models.

This! I am happy with my iPad 3 I am also happy to upgrade. What I am not happy about is the resale value tanking lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.