Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stepmcnul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Shanghai
I have 2 iPhones, a 4 and a 5. Both are on the latest iOS and have the latest version of Maps. On the 4 I can see all the map data like streets, buildings etc, on the 5 all I see is a yellow screen. Even when I zoom right out, every country is the same: there basically is zero data - no roads, etc.

The 4 says the data is from 'Tomtom', the 5 says the data is from 'others'.

Any ideas how I can force the 5 to use data from Tomtom too?

I know I can use Google maps instead but I need the Apple map to work too as that is the map used by 'find my phone', my running app etc.

I live in Singapore in case that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I have 2 iPhones, a 4 and a 5. Both are on the latest iOS and have the latest version of Maps. On the 4 I can see all the map data like streets, buildings etc, on the 5 all I see is a yellow screen. Even when I zoom right out, every country is the same: there basically is zero data - no roads, etc.

The 4 says the data is from 'Tomtom', the 5 says the data is from 'others'.

Any ideas how I can force the 5 to use data from Tomtom too?

I know I can use Google maps instead but I need the Apple map to work too as that is the map used by 'find my phone', my running app etc.

I live in Singapore in case that makes a difference.

Thanks.

You need to buy it, Apple (and Google) maps use GPS for location and pull the map data down using a data connection. TomTom pre-loads the maps on the phone so you don't need a direct data connection to use them.

seajay96

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
You need to buy it, Apple (and Google) maps use GPS for location and pull the map data down using a data connection. TomTom pre-loads the maps on the phone so you don't need a direct data connection to use them.

No, he's talking about the source of the data for Apple Maps. If you click on the lower right corner and go to the map options, it shows where the data comes from.

For the OP, sorry I can't answer your question, but did you click on the "report a problem" link right next to the data statement?

Stepmcnul

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2012
Shanghai
Thanks Seajay96, you're right, it's the source data. I have reported the problem. I have tried resetting the phone, using a VPN etc, all to no ail. It is weird one phone has the right map anything other doesn't.

neilhunt

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2013
Me too - blank iOS6 map (Apple map app)

iPhone 5, IOS6.0.2.

No maps for a couple of months (well, there is some faint yellow shading which is presumably part of a layer of map data, but no roads, names, etc.)
However, the map data *is* there: on hybrid mode, I get the street data overlaid on top of the satellite photo data.

I've fully power-cycled the phone, I've shut down and restarted the app, and I've played with all the options in the map settings screen, but no change.
I've also upgraded from iOS6.0 to 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 all without affecting the blank maps.

Love to hear any pointers.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
iPhone 5, IOS6.0.2.

No maps for a couple of months (well, there is some faint yellow shading which is presumably part of a layer of map data, but no roads, names, etc.)
However, the map data *is* there: on hybrid mode, I get the street data overlaid on top of the satellite photo data.

I've fully power-cycled the phone, I've shut down and restarted the app, and I've played with all the options in the map settings screen, but no change.
I've also upgraded from iOS6.0 to 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 all without affecting the blank maps.

Not sure it would help, but perhaps going to iOS 6.1 might do something. Other than that, essentially restoring the phone as new and starting over might be one of the options as well.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
iPhone 5, IOS6.0.2.

Sounds to me like your only option is a restore from backup. And than if that doesn't work restoring as a new phone (which would cause you to lose all your stuff unfortunately).

If that is no good have you considered a third party maps app from the app store like Google maps as a workaround.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.