Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I know there are lots of threads on battery life but I have been searching for people's battery life when they are streaming music to see how long they get.

I am streaming music in the morning on 3G and I have 5 bars. I don't have any other programs running. I probably get 3 hours of streaming and am down to 50-60%. What does everyone else notice?

Thanks!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
OP, I updated your title to make it a little more descriptive. When titles are ambiguous you unintentionally impact the level of participation.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
OP, I updated your title to make it a little more descriptive. When titles are ambiguous you unintentionally impact the level of participation.

Thank you! I was afraid to write battery life and people would chime in saying there were too many posts about battery life. :)

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
I find streaming impacts my battery life on my ip4 significantly more than listening to locally stored music through the music app. I can't give you any hard numbers though. :eek:

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
I stream the radio on my iPhone 5, it tends to go down pretty quick. I streamed my radio for about 45 minutes this morning and total usage is at 2 hours and 16 mins and I am at 63%.

I honestly think that there is something up with my battery, might have to make a genius appointment this weekend.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
I stream the radio on my iPhone 5, it tends to go down pretty quick. I streamed my radio for about 45 minutes this morning and total usage is at 2 hours and 16 mins and I am at 63%.

I honestly think that there is something up with my battery, might have to make a genius appointment this weekend.

No that sounds about right with how mine is impacted too. So I am thinking it isn't the battery but streaming that does that. On days when I don't stream I can last the whole day without a recharge but when I stream the radio it depleats it FAST.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
This is usually a non-issue for me because whenever I am streaming music I am usually at a place where I can have the phone plugged into a power source.

chrislaw

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2009
central ohio
When I stream spotify I find it to be similar. Maybe 15-20% / hour. When I listen to downloaded podcasts on my commute its maybe 1-2% an hour.

kalexn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Texas
When I stream spotify I find it to be similar. Maybe 15-20% / hour. When I listen to downloaded podcasts on my commute its maybe 1-2% an hour.

okay this makes me feel better. Guess I should listen to podcasts instead :) Or keep it plugged in.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I usually stream Rdio and SiriusXM via bluetooth in my car. I have noticed that my battery drains quicker when using the SiriusXM app than when I use the Rdio app. During a recent two hour drive up to NYC, I streamed SiriusXM the entire trip and my battery went from 68% to 30% in that span. I also had the maps app open to use for turn by turn directions. Needless to say, I had to connect my phone to my car charger on the trip back home later that night.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.