Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Niko91
macrumors member

Nexus 10 can replace a laptop?

Hi all.
So, my question is, actually, the title.
Can a tablet like the Nexus 10 replace a laptop?
Thank you.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:29 AM   #2
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Depends. What do you need it to do?
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:32 AM   #3
cynics
macrumors 603

It can depending on what you are doing. You won't be running actually desktop software though.
cynics is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:34 AM   #4
Niko91
macrumors member

Well, web browsing and note taking mostly. I'm an university student, so I'll study on it.
Also watching some movies, I think.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 11:50 AM   #5
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

It can replace a laptop as much as an iPad can.
PDFierro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:35 PM   #6
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
It can replace a laptop as much as an iPad can.
The Nexus 10 is much more capable as a laptop replacement than an iPad ever will be since you have an actual file system. With the iPad you are crippled and must depend on a PC to manipulate files effectively. With a Nexus 10, you would never have to touch a PC. Also, another big advantage of the Nexus 10 is that it supports USB OTG so you can buy a $1.50 USB OTG cable and be able to do things like directly attach USB drives or docks and ALL the Android applications can use it. This is a critical advantage for anybody serious about using it as a laptop replacement. By comparison, the iPad is like a crippled child's toy.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:36 PM   #7
dalbir4444
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko91 View Post
Well, web browsing and note taking mostly. I'm an university student, so I'll study on it.
How do you plan on taking notes? Using a stylus?
dalbir4444 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:46 PM   #8
Ericcc
macrumors member

No. A tablet is mostly an entertainment device. If you're planning to do actual work, a real computer with a real OS is leagues superior. Only using a tablet, how are you going to write essays? Do multi-window research? Print? Some webpages (with an integrated map) don't even function well with a touchscreen.
Ericcc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:47 PM   #9
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

Whenever I think a tablet/phone can replace a laptop...I always realize that nothing beats a physical keyboard. Also, a lot of sites where you have to fill in forms do not play well with tablets or phones even when you trick the browser to "think" you are on a PC
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 12:54 PM   #10
cynics
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko91 View Post
It can do that easily enough. Any tablet can do that though. Manipulating files is pretty easy and attaching multiple files to email is possible too. This is the main reason I went with android.
cynics is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:29 PM   #11
ReanimationN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericcc View Post
No. A tablet is mostly an entertainment device. If you're planning to do actual work, a real computer with a real OS is leagues superior. Only using a tablet, how are you going to write essays? Do multi-window research? Print? Some webpages (with an integrated map) don't even function well with a touchscreen.
This. Android devices are effectively just as limited as iOS devices when it comes to getting work done. Outside of Samsung devices, Android doesn't offer multi-window support the same way desktop operating systems do (and Samsung devices only work with core OS apps and Google apps). Doing research and writing assignments would be an absolute nightmare without being able to have at least 2 windows open side-by-side. You also won't have access to the programs your university may require you to run during your degree. For example, I did a few GIS subjects in my time at uni, which required me to run ArcGIS, which in turn meant I needed to have a Windows PC with a decent amount of power.

Laptops are still the way to go for university.
ReanimationN is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices