Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

View Poll Results: Would you?
Yes. 2 25.00%
No. 6 75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:53 AM   #1
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

Would you like to see Apple use nuclear batteries in the future?

According to Wikipedia, nuclear reactions generate so much energy that a battery that stores this energy would have more energy than any other battery of equal volume.

Edit: Before you say "No. I don't want my devices becoming atom bombs," know that there are small atomic batteries that are safer than nuclear reactors because the latter use chain reactions and the former do not. Source:http://www.neowin.net/news/tiny-nucl...by-researchers

Last edited by moonman239; Jun 9, 2013 at 12:00 PM.
moonman239 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 11:58 AM   #2
blevins321
macrumors 68030

Just..for clarity...do you mean a nuclear reactor MacBook? Or radioactive-decay powered, like the Voyager probes?

Either way, maybe you should be the beta tester. You seem very eager to experience the warmth of radioactivity.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:09 PM   #3
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
If it works and it is safe enough then I don't see why not.
Old Jun 9, 2013, 12:19 PM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
Just..for clarity...do you mean a nuclear reactor MacBook? Or radioactive-decay powered, like the Voyager probes?

Either way, maybe you should be the beta tester. You seem very eager to experience the warmth of radioactivity.
This! And do report back because I am curious.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2013, 01:30 PM   #5
moonman239
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blevins321 View Post
Just..for clarity...do you mean a nuclear reactor MacBook? Or radioactive-decay powered, like the Voyager?
The latter. The Webpage I've linked to talks about a battery the size of a penny. Just think of what Apple could do with such a battery. It could be the first company to make a mobile device that could be used for at least maybe a full day without needing to be charged. By that, I mean you could play on a mobile device as long as you want to and you may not need to charge it for a while. I don't know exactly how much electricity such a battery can output before needing to be charged, but I do know it can output a lot.

Edit: I just read that nuclear batteries cannot be recharged. This may give me enough reason to ditch the idea of Apple installing a nuclear battery. I still think they should use batteries that have higher energy densities and can be recharged.

Last edited by moonman239; Jun 9, 2013 at 01:40 PM.
moonman239 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:11 AM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

No, I wouldn't want Apple or any other device maker to use a nuclear battery.
ucfgrad93 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 10, 2013, 09:06 PM   #7
malman89
macrumors 68000

Considering they can't even get a lithium ion battery right (MacBooks), I'd say no.

Typing on my MacBook with the battery out because my 2nd battery has swelled again to the point of it hindering typing yet again.

Old Machine: Late 2006 Model - 13.3" MacBook, 2 GHz C2D, 4 (3.3) GB RAM, 500 GB 7200rpm HD running OS X 10.6.8
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion