Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Axmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
I was scrolling through the menu on my iPad and I just finished moving some stuff to a folder, and all of a sudden I got a dark screen with the apple logo and then it came back and asked for a password. I didn't press any buttons. Also, the folder disappeared and the apps were thrown out of it.

What could cause that?

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
I was scrolling through the menu on my iPad and I just finished moving some stuff to a folder, and all of a sudden I got a dark screen with the apple logo and then it came back and asked for a password. I didn't press any buttons. Also, the folder disappeared and the apps were thrown out of it.

What could cause that?

Looks like it is remote lock to me. Did you buy the iPad from Apple store or somewhere else? Or someone has your Apple ID and password. There is really nothing to do beside get the right password. If you got the iPad from legit source and you have proof of purchase, you might go to Apple Store.

Axmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
No, you misunderstand. It's as if it reset or something or went on standby. When I say it "locked", i mean with the pin I set up to put in when the lock screen comes up. I just put it in and it worked fine, of course.

I'm just wondering why it happened at all.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
It may have been updating to 6.0ish, from OS 5. This will cause a restart. Typically the OS will download when the bandwidth is available and wait for you to request the update.

You may have downloaded an app that requires 6.0 or higher and approved the update, but turned it off or let is sleep before the update was complete. When you turned it back on the update would continue and restart at a "random" time. This would reset folders and erase pictures saved.

Seems like the most logical reason for what you are describing, but cannot tell without hooking up and checking the log.

Axmann

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2009
bumpbump.

Maybe I'm just getting too paranoid. Should I have then exchange it for a new one?

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
bumpbump.

Maybe I'm just getting too paranoid. Should I have then exchange it for a new one?

I think you should return it and buy an Windows 8 tablet.

MacRumors Rules said:
Bumps. Posts that bring a thread to the top of the New Posts list but add no content to the thread (bumps) are not permitted. This applies not only to posts that say "bump" but to those with the intent to bump, e.g. posts saying "anyone?" or the equivalent. See why and how to avoid bumping.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
No, you misunderstand. It's as if it reset or something or went on standby. When I say it "locked", i mean with the pin I set up to put in when the lock screen comes up. I just put it in and it worked fine, of course.

I'm just wondering why it happened at all.

Your Springboard (i.e. iOS home screen) crashed. No big deal.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
So then there's nothing wrong with my iPad?

----------

Can you instruct me how to do this?

I doubt there is anything wrong, it's not the first time or last the springboard crashed on someone. If it happens a lot then visit a Genius Bar if a restore does not solve the crashing. Good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.