Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:51 AM   #1
flyersphanatic9
macrumors newbie

iPhone Abroad Question

Hey guys, I have a few questions about using my iPhone 5 abroad, any help is greatly appreciated!
I have an unlocked AT&T iPhone 5.
In the next week I will be traveling to Amsterdam, Prague and Berlin before settling in London for 4 months to study abroad.
I read some old threads on the forum and believe I will buy a SIM from either Three or GiffGaff for my time in London.

My question is: what would my best strategy be for getting my iPhone to work in the first three countries before I get to London?

Thanks!
flyersphanatic9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:13 PM   #2
nburwell
macrumors 68000

Your best bet is to but a local SIM card from each of the three countries you visit before you settle down in London. I'm sure you can easily find them in airports and train terminals in your travels. You may also have to cut the SIM card down if the place doesn't sell nano SIM cards that the iPhone 5 takes.
nburwell is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 12:55 PM   #3
takeshi74
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersphanatic9 View Post
My question is: what would my best strategy be for getting my iPhone to work in the first three countries before I get to London?
Not much you can do from here if your device is already unlocked unless you want to sign up for a roaming service. You'd need to pick up your SIM when you get there.
takeshi74 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:56 PM   #4
flyersphanatic9
macrumors newbie

So I should be looking for pre-paid SIMs when I arrive at each destination? Typically are those expensive? I'll be spending 4 days in Amsterdam and 2 each in Prague and Berlin. Thanks guys.
flyersphanatic9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:10 PM   #5
abz1981
macrumors 65816

Why don't you use wifi in the places you are visiting apart from London. I am sure wifi is easily available for you to use your phone for most things. Also giffgaff and 3 are good networks ( carriers ) to go for in London just check out the websites. www.three.co.uk and www.giffgaff.co.uk
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:16 PM   #6
andychelt
macrumors member

Are you able to get a sim card before you travel? I assume you are mostly after web access?

You could then go with a Vodafone UK Pay As You Go sim card. If you top it up with 10 this can give you 300 texts and 500mb of data for 30 days in The UK in addition to the 10 credit which you could then make use of abroad as Vodafone charge 2 per day for 25mb of data which works in all the European countries.

A single 10 top up would give you 25mb of data each day for 5 days. (as long as you make sure not to go over the 25mb limit otherwise it's then 0.69p per mb)

I realise 25mb of data each day isn't massive but when I travelled to the US recently I found 25mb of data was enough for emails, reading the news, Facebook and using google maps each day.
andychelt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 05:22 PM   #7
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

The EU is a big country now, maybe u only need one carrier to take care of everywhere. Where are the travelers when u need one? Perhaps in an iphone.uk forum?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 06:05 PM   #8
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
The EU is a big country now, maybe u only need one carrier to take care of everywhere
In the same way that the US, Canada and Mexico are just one big country - i.e. they aren't!

Each country in the EU has its own set of carriers and going between them will count as roaming.

Roaming is heavily regulated (with price caps and consumer protection rules) if you roam from one EU (or EEA) network to another, but there's not really a plan that would cover multiple countries comprehensively.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 07:26 PM   #9
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Does three still do the Three Like Home promo?
DerekRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone