Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kamerynn

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
County Durham, UK
Hi,

I've decided it's time to update my now rather old Nikon D70 and after much reading of reviews etc. I’m now more confused than ever on what to go for so I’m hoping you wonderful people can maybe throw a bit of friendly advice my way.
I'm a casual photographer so don’t need to play with the big boys in the full frame market.
What’s prompted the change is a holiday later this year to do a fly drive from San Francisco to Las Vegas going through Yosemite so I’m guessing I’m going to see no end of photo opportunities.
I have considered the following so far that fall in my budget.
Nikon 1 V1 (for the compactness)
Nikon D3100 or D3200
Nikon D5100
Nikon D90
a used Nikon D7000

I have a 50mm lenses that I’m aware wont autofocus on the 3100/3200/5100 so would prefer a body that would work with it but not a show stopper I guess.

I would appreciate any advice you guys can give me.

Thanks,

Kam

Kamerynn

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
County Durham, UK
Hi MCAsan,

I did think about that but the V2 is a lot more than double the price of the V1 so is quite a way out of my budget at this time.

Thanks,

Kam

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
How many Nikon lenses do you have? Will they all work fully on a V1? If not why not consider a non-Nikon mirrorless system?

Kamerynn

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
County Durham, UK
Hi robbieduncan,

I only have 3 lenses at the moment so not many.

I have read about the NEX series of mirrorless and quite like the sound of them although the extra lenses seem quite pricey compared with others.

Is there a certain brand you would recomend?

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
Hi robbieduncan,

I have read about the NEX series of mirrorless and quite like the sound of them although the extra lenses seem quite pricey compared with others.

I quite like the Sony NEX-5N I picked up. It's now been "replaced" by the next iteration, but in my opinion they didn't really add anything that made it a compelling upgrade, and the result is that the prices of the 5N got driven way, way down. I think you can get a body and 18-55 kit lens 5N for about $450. Given the form factor, and the fact that it's got a sensor that is extremely similar to that in the Nikon D7000, it's a really, really compelling buy. I own a D7000 and a whole complement of nikon lenses, and I find myself more often than not reaching for the 5N because it's so unobtrusive. For what I tend to shoot (landscapes, some portraits), I really don't feel like I'm giving anything up image quality wise by using the 5N, I gain some useful features (swivel LCD), and any other deficiencies I feel I could overcome through better technique to get a comparable result to the D7000.

I also bought a cheap knockoff Nikon lens mount adapter, so I have access to all of my nikon glass, albeit in manual focus mode. Manual focus is made easier and more useful on the 5N through a feature it calls 'focus peaking' and easy auto-magnification, so manual focus is actually viable in many circumstances.

I also bought the Sony 50mm/1.8 e-mount for the 5N, and like it as much or more than my nikon 50mm/1.8D. Most of the time, that's what I have on the camera. The native 18-55 sony kit lens, in my experience, isn't as sharp as the nikon 18-55 kit lens, but you can still get some solid pictures with it if you handle it right.

I keep being tempted myself by the Nikon V1, given that it's so freaking cheap right now. I just can't figure out a situation in which I'd really want to make the tradeoff on sensor size (much smaller than the D7000 or 5N) for the slight bit of extra compactness. Nothing I shoot in particular needs extreme zoom that could come from pairing it with my nikon lenses and an adapter, and the adapter is almost half the price of the camera. If there were a cheaper adapter that worked well (is there?), I'd probably pick one up to play with, just for the novelty of silent shooting.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Hi robbieduncan,

I am a fan of micro 4/3 rather than NEX. They are smaller, the lenses are much smaller and there is more choice!

pna

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2005
I am a fan of micro 4/3 rather than NEX. They are smaller, the lenses are much smaller and there is more choice!

Though I love my NEX-5N, I'd definitely agree that micro 4/3 is worth looking at now, for all of the reasons that robbieduncan puts out here. Thom Hogan, a photographer/blogger that I greatly respect, has made similar arguments that the whole ecosystem of micro 4/3 is just developing much more quickly than NEX, and as such could make a better investment in both the short and the long-term.

I don't find the cameras to be enough smaller than the 5N form factor, i.e. to the next level where you can easily stuff them in a shirt pocket, that the form factor itself is much of a difference to me, though smaller is in general preferable if you don't run into handling issues. I'll admit, I was also a little bewildered by the confusing assortment of cameras and lenses in that space. Robbieduncan or others, are there particular models that you think represent a strong value right now?

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
The D7000 is an awesome step up from the D70. If you do any long exposure shots just the switch from CCD to CMOS is woth it. My first digital was the D70 and over the years I added a D60, D7000 and D800.

With a fast lens the D7000 can start to record excellent detail in the Milky Way. If you like the 70 the you will love the 7000.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Though I love my NEX-5N, I'd definitely agree that micro 4/3 is worth looking at now, for all of the reasons that robbieduncan puts out here. Thom Hogan, a photographer/blogger that I greatly respect, has made similar arguments that the whole ecosystem of micro 4/3 is just developing much more quickly than NEX, and as such could make a better investment in both the short and the long-term.

I don't find the cameras to be enough smaller than the 5N form factor, i.e. to the next level where you can easily stuff them in a shirt pocket, that the form factor itself is much of a difference to me, though smaller is in general preferable if you don't run into handling issues. I'll admit, I was also a little bewildered by the confusing assortment of cameras and lenses in that space. Robbieduncan or others, are there particular models that you think represent a strong value right now?

Unless you look at the very upper end (the stunning OM-D for example) there are a load of cameras with very similar sensors and functionality. I think the GF range of Panasonics is pretty good. Personally I'd say a GF3 is not that different to a GF5 but is a lot cheaper. With some of the pancake lenses they can be dropped into a coat pocked too.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
The D7000 is an awesome step up from the D70. If you do any long exposure shots just the switch from CCD to CMOS is woth it. My first digital was the D70 and over the years I added a D60, D7000 and D800.

With a fast lens the D7000 can start to record excellent detail in the Milky Way. If you like the 70 the you will love the 7000.

Completely agree here.

I have heard nothing but great things about the D7000. Being that you are already familiar shooting with Nikon, you should be fairly acclimated with the D7000 in no time.

hltjr

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2009
close to la, ca.
I was in your position 6 months ago, needing to upgrade from a D70s. I ended up with the D800, but I did rent a D7000 and loved that thing. One thing to consider is whether or not you're going to keep your D70. If you'll be keeping it and don't need the features of the higher grade Nikon DSLR's, you should definitely go with the Nikon V1 or Sony NEX system. The lens adapters will do you well.

Bending Pixels

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2010
Since you already have several Nikkor lenses, going to the Nikon V1 (or V2) system doesn't make a lot of sense. Add into that, not too many people are buying it, and there have been a couple of rumors flying that Nikon might pull the plug on it.

The D7000 body has come down in price, so I'd really recommend looking at it. Also, the D5200 is supposed to be released sometime "soon".

As to the issue you referenced with the 50mm lens, which one is it specifically? Knowing that will help to determine if it'll work on the D3100/D3200/D5100.

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
I was in your position 6 months ago, needing to upgrade from a D70s. I ended up with the D800, but I did rent a D7000 and loved that thing. One thing to consider is whether or not you're going to keep your D70. If you'll be keeping it and don't need the features of the higher grade Nikon DSLR's, you should definitely go with the Nikon V1 or Sony NEX system. The lens adapters will do you well.

Yes there is something to be said for keeping the older body. My original D70 was used in an Ikelite housing, Another D70 has been converted for IR, and I regularly use multiple cameras when doing night work.

The D60 just got shipped off to a friend that wanted to get into DSLRs. He didn't know it was coming - the box just showed up on the doorstep. ;)

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
If I hadn't gone with my Nex-7, a micro 4/3 would have been my choice. It was a close race. Nice choice of different styles.

Kamerynn

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
County Durham, UK
Hi,

First of all thanks for all your replies they have all been very helpfull.

I think the the 4/3 is proabably the correct choice for me now, I will keep the D70 so always have the option of using that for anything i dont think the new camera can do.

It would be nice to be able to reuse my current lenses but my no means essential i'd rather get a great camera over one that will just do.

So now i've narrowed it down to the 4/3 system, which one would be best? I would say a max of £500 (ish)

Thanks,

Kam

Kamerynn

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
County Durham, UK
Oh, something else i meant to mention. I'm not going away till September so in no immediate rush to get one right now. If there is something due in the next few months i dont mind waiting. As long as I have a bit of time to get used to it of course :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.