Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Golak

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I have just upgraded to Mountain lion and so I had to setup my account in iMail again. But, I guess I am doing something wrong.

I have my school account on the iMail for which I had added the SMTP given on school website. I have also added another one for when I am at home and thus connected to the internet by Telus. however, now when I am anywhere other than the two (e,g, at coffee shop) I cannot send email. It says that I have to add or choose appropriate SMTP.

I am saying I am doing something wrong because previously I never had this problem and I could send emai from anywhere without having even to choose the SMTP manually. I can still do the same on my iPhone but not my Mac.

I greatly appreciate your help as this is really annoying.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
If I were you, I'd ask your school to give you exactly the settings that you need, and create your mail account from scratch.

Often, in internet cafes, you have to login to the cafe website before you can do anything on the internet (including mail). I guess you've ruled that out?

Also, some mail server configurations require that your mail program logs in with your credentials and checks mail first before it is permitted to send anything (SMTP). Your school should be able to provide you with the information that you need.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have just upgraded to Mountain lion and so I had to setup my account in iMail again. But, I guess I am doing something wrong.

I have my school account on the iMail for which I had added the SMTP given on school website. I have also added another one for when I am at home and thus connected to the internet by Telus. however, now when I am anywhere other than the two (e,g, at coffee shop) I cannot send email. It says that I have to add or choose appropriate SMTP.

I am saying I am doing something wrong because previously I never had this problem and I could send emai from anywhere without having even to choose the SMTP manually. I can still do the same on my iPhone but not my Mac.

I greatly appreciate your help as this is really annoying.
First off, IMail is a Windows-based email server. The Mac email client is Mail, not iMail, not Apple Mail, not OS X Mail.

Your problem is hardly unique. It is standard for ISPs like the one used by the coffee shop to deny access to foreign SMTP servers like the one at your school. There is, however, a standard workaround. Many ISPs permit Authenticated SMTP. Unauthenticated SMTP uses Port 25 in most cases. Change your SMTP port to Port 587. Select Password authentication. Also, enter your email password in the appropriate text box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.