Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula

davezak

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2012
Toronto ON
cloud processing

terms and conditions are essential to smart business. HD manufacturers have the same text.

i choose optimism over fear. cloud-everything will happen - it already has if we still can change our ideologies.

I will still buy the new pro tower and continue on-site and external data backups - but it already feels archaic. I want to embrace the cloud but a clear cloud solution for pro users is not yet here - that I know of.

I want to be part of forming the pro cloud. We all can be part of it. What an opportunity.

Don't want to pick fights, it has just been on my mind a lot.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
a true LOL moment

terms and conditions are essential to smart business. HD manufacturers have the same text.

Yes, hard drives (both spinning hard drives and solid state hard drives) *will* fail.

So of course their warranties do not cover the data - if it fails within the warranty period you get a new, blank, hard drive.

That's why my servers run RAID-6 arrays with multiple hot spares, and I pay about $500 per TB for enterprise-ready drives.

That's why I run backup 4 times per day on critical filesystems on them.

That's why I mirror some stuff onto the cloud in addition to RAID-6 with hot spares and 6 hr backups.

Is Apple warning you that the Icloud *will* fail, just like a hard drive? :eek:

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
My 12 core was assembled in the USA.

Probably why one of the hard drive bays was missing a screw!

:apple:

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
[/COLOR]
DVD's will be gone in 2 years... CD's are already obsolete... :rolleyes:

CD's are not even a little bit obsolete. Granted the sales model is moving to digital media, but until affordable home storage (and large cap portables) and/or internet bandwidths allow lossless music, CD's will still sound better. Particularly in mid to high-end sound systems.

I for one am a collector and like owning CD's, Records and Tapes; same-same VHS, DVD's and Bluray's. I have several thousand titles, and while having all my music (and a couple of movies) with me on an iPod (iPad) is convenient for traveling, it's not how I listen (watch) at home. My lossless media requirements would be on the order of 1000 TB.

Now if I could just get an iBooks copy with every book I buy...

g4 powerbookboy

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2010
Quite frankly I can really give a damn where the machines are produced... Apple has the best electronic devices ever made and the fact that they work perfect 100% of the time is all that matters. I would still buy only Apple equipment if they were made in Iraq or Afghanastain. where it is made makes no differance to me as long as they retain the high level of quality that Apple has now, quite possibly building them in the US could cause a serious loss of quality.

kingtj

macrumors 68030
Oct 23, 2003
Brunswick, MD
re: cloud storage

I would never store all of my data in "the cloud" either!

I think cloud-computing is simply the latest thing to hype and for companies to make a money grab with it.

It has its place -- but it only makes sense in certain situations, with certain types of data. It's far from a universal solution.

For starters, if you put it on someone else's cloud server, you now put an Internet connection between you and your data. Even with the fairly limited bit I've started to use Google Drive and DropBox, I've already found myself screwed over multiple times when that meant I couldn't get to the data right when I needed it.

For example, last time I stayed over at my wife's mother's house for several days with the family, she didn't have Internet access. All I had as a link to the "outside world" was a weak 3G cellular connection, and I hadn't even paid to add tethering to my plan!

And last time I was on a long airline flight? I realized I couldn't listen to a bunch of my music I wanted to, because although I had uploaded it all to the "Google Play" service, I had no wi-fi on the plane to access any of it.

And I know some people say, "Well, that's why I keep a local copy of everything and use the cloud for my backups!" But that's a different thing, really.... That's called Internet Backup, not "Cloud Computing", and that's been around for many years.

Other arguments against the Cloud include security concerns. What happens if the Cloud provider you use suddenly goes bankrupt? What guarantee do you have they won't just liquidate their assets, including their servers and drives, and your data winds up in who knows whose hands?

It also disturbs me that when you start relying on another company to hold your data for you, you become sort of a captive customer. If they decide to add a bunch of new usage restrictions or double their prices overnight, what do you do? Sure, you can say, "Oh, I'll just cancel and go someplace else!" -- but that involves a lot of time and extra hassle on your part, downloading everything, re-uploading it to the new guy after setting up an account there, and lastly, making sure the old one is shut off and stops billing you.

If you just kept your data on your own drives and did your own backups, you'd never have to mess with any of that ....

eltaurus

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
An i7-3770K easily matches your Mac Pro.

Are you planning on getting rid of your toy and getting a real computer anytime soon?

I am not surprised by you comment ... i was expecting this kind of comment.

I know that my new rMBP 15 has power as 3-4 year Mac Pro...

if you want fair competition Compare products from same timeframe.

not try to act smart .. first calculate all logics .. compare todays i7 with todays Xeon (not 3-4years back\0

eltaurus

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2012
The difference between a Xeon and an i7 these days is simply that the Xeon can support multiple sockets (only some models) and ECC memory.

Do you really use ECC memory or need it ? Is your Mac Pro a single socket ?

Otherwise, they are the same processor core.

ECC memory isn't a big deal 4 me .. my Mac Pro is dual Socket ..

there are other factors also to have Mac Pro ... (even if its have i7 or xeon) like Customizations & expandability .. Like You can put Quadro cards / black magic card and may be more

& if one component fail you don't have to change whole thing

thermodynamic

Suspended
May 3, 2009
USA
from $11,499.00

Explain, please.

Before you do, consider these:

1. In 1980, average CEO pay was 40x that of the average worker. By 2010, for companies that remain, it's 500x or higher. How did they do this? By letting wages stagnate or drop, offshoring of jobs, automation of jobs, getting taxpayer-funded subsidy (corporate welfare). Also note, when jobs get offshored or devalued, the amount of money government collects also goes down. How does government continue to give out the handouts to keep these "free market" companies going? And you work hard for your money. Why should you take every economic hit, sell your home, move into a hovel, while the CEO continues to upscale - while telling you it's for your own good to take less and less and "compete"...?

2. Even Ronald Reagan, in 1948, said that high profits are the reason product costs are high. Not high wages.

Never mind the amount of corporate welfare and other entitlements we taxpayers are giving them without representation.

Now if you want your fellow countrymen to suffer, I suggest you obey the old religious proverb that reads "Do unto others the way you want them to do unto you". Then please get back to us.

I guess my toy (a 27" 2011 BTO iMac built with the following specs: 3.4GHz quad-core Core i7, 2GB AMD Radeon 6970m, and 16GB RAM) is able to run all of my apps simultaneously with no problems, batch process a few hundred photos in minutes, encode video and audio very quickly, run my RAID setup, run my digital life, be a mini-theater system, and look good on my desk just isn't cut out for professional level work. Ok. :rolleyes:

Well, for 3D rendering and even for some Photoshop and AfterEffects features, the iMac's puny notebook-class GPU would be bogged down while the desktop-grade GPU would trounce it.

Thanks for flaunting the stats, but any generic video benchmarking site will show the 6970M for being the kitty litter it is... at least by comparison to desktop-grade competition.

Anybody who thinks that US manufacturing will ever get to the level of China knows very little about economics. Americans need to stick to what they do best - management. Americans have a reputation of laziness. But that's not necessarily a bad thing. It's an ideal characteristic in motivating people to find easier ways of doing almost everything. Chinese culture is one that is marked by diligence and perfectionism, which is probably better suited for manufacturing. They're also willing to work for a lot less, longer hours, and in worse conditions. Speaking in general terms of course.

Reputation based on fact or hyped innuendo to forge a stereotype?

And please explain the following "perfectionism" to me:
1. lead in toys
2. melamine in dog food
3. tainted milk
4. sulfur in drywall that rots electronics and causes allergies
5. workers jumping off of buildings
6. polluted waterways
7. air pollution so bad that people have to wear gas masks all the time
8. the US military receiving counterfeit goods purchased from China
9. Microsoft and other companies giving source code to China, so they can move in, build up shop, and offshore jobs there (note, Apple too is offshoring engineering jobs - more "lazy workers" or more greedy CEOs that want everything for nothing and try to spin everything to blame everyone else? You tell me, especially noting the other facets I've presented above.)

How long a list of "perfection" would you like to read, sir? And if you don't believe me, many websites - from esoteric to mainstream - have all reported on these issues. The WSJ, Forbes, Cspan, ZDnet, Businessweek, and plenty of others... they all don't wear tinfoil hats, I'm sorry.

Sadly, it is ethical in the terms that everyone does it.

So if everybody jumps off a cliff it's okay?

So if everyone murders and kills for the sake of self-profiting, that's okay too?

"Everyone does it" is not a justification or excuse.

Mago

macrumors 68030
Aug 16, 2011
Beyond the Thunderdome
Cheapo-LowRisk Updated Mac Pro, what to expect:

1. Current Metal Case, o at least with minor reviews about new regulations.
  2. No CD/DVD/BlueRay. 3.5" Hdd
  3. 4/6 Sata3 Fusion Drive as current line.
  4. Chipset: IvI-Bridge EP/EX Upto 12 Cores (single CPU), maybe no more Dual-Cpu (maybe not a concern with 12Cores), USB3, Thunderbolt.
  5. Memory: upto 12 DIMM Slot.
  6. Video: Dicrete Std-PCIE3 X16 x 2/4
  7. Same Networking (GbEthernet X2 plus BlueTooth, and maybe WiFi)

As FlagShip Updated MacPro, What to expet:

1. All New Case UniBody "Mac-MiniCube like", optimized thermodynamics, regulations etc.
  2. Chipset: Same as Cheap Update (no way for other options): IvI-Bridge EP/EX Upto 12 Cores (single CPU), USB3, Thunderbolt;
  3. No CD/DVD/BlueRay
  4. 2x 2.5" Fusion Drives on Main Unit, ThunderBolt Stackable Storage Expansion Modules with 4 Fusion Drive/SSD or Std 3.5" drives choices.
  5. Memory: SO-Dimm With ECC (upto 12 modules for upto 96GB Ram)
  6. Video, Single Propetary Form Factor (PCIe3 Bus) discrete Graphics Card.
  7. Same Networking (GbEthernet X2 plus BlueTooth, and 802.11ac WiFi)
  8. No PCIe Expansion Slot, Every Expansion thru Thunderbolt (maybe 5 TB Ports)

If we see more, I will be aware the sky, maybe I'see E/T too.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.