Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
After reading all of the complains about Gainsaver, I ended up ordering from them anyway, because they had a good price on a replacement LCD for a 20-inch 2006 iMac.

Based on all the bad reviews, I wouldn't have risked buying anything expensive, but the total came to only $126, and I put it on my Visa Signature card, so I would be protected. The dollar amount is low enough that I know I won't have any problems disputing the charge with my credit card bank of there's any problem.

Surprisingly, I already received a UPS tracking number the first business day after I placed the order. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed, and I'll post back when the item arrives. Hopefully, it doesn't arrive in multiple pieces...

PLin

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2003
I forgot to report back. The iMac LCD actually arrived on time. There was a small 1cm scratch on it, but otherwise, the display worked fine. I only paid $126, when other merchants were selling it for $250-1000. I now have a working iMac.

bizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2008
Someone I used to work with ordered a MacBook Air and got it. I think it ended up being a newer model than advertised.

Airforcekid

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
United States of America
They do ship there items however they will most likely not be in the best shape as for the low specs with the money you save get new parts such as when they get MacBook Airs in stock ill get the cheapest and put in an SSD for around $800 compared to 1,249 for just the air with HDD.

TineD

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2012
To confirm the experiences of others here:

I ordered a laptop and paid for extra diagnostics. When it arrived, turned out the motherboard was defect, and that I had to send it back at my own expense with UPS (340USD).

When they sent me the replacement, I asked to clearly indicate on the outside of the box that this was a replacement, in order to avoid having to pay import taxes twice. They did not do this. Consequence: a double import tax of 400USD and three weeks of waiting because customs did not want to clear this suspicious parcel.

When it finally arrived. The replacement's motherboard was also defect. I have been trying to file service order requests, mail and call them for three days now, and they keep filing my requests as solved without even getting back to me.

Today I went to an official apple store to see how much it would cost to have the motherboard fixed mysel: around 800USD.

Conclusion, I will have paid around 3600USD (1660 original price, 2X400 import tax fine, 350 return shipment, 800 repair) for a refurbished mac of which it is still not sure whether it will ever function properly.

This website is a total fraud. Do not trust this company. A friend of mine had a similar experience.

tothedome

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2013
Gainsaver will rip you off

For starters they use bait and switch tactics constantly. If you go onto their site ALL of their items are in stock but you'll get a call saying "THE ITEM THAT YOU ORDERED FAILED TESTING AND IT WAS THE LAST THEY HAD IN STOCK" then they'll present you with a different item.

None of their items are tested even if you pay for additional testing so chances are you'll get a lemon and they will do their best to make you pay for return shipping.

IF THEY REQUEST MONEY UP FRONT "PRE-PAY" DO NOT GIVE IT TO THEM. They don't have the item in stock and are trying to use your money to get it. If it's a large amount they will keep it as long as they can.

rezwits

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Las Vegas
100% Accurate

For starters they use bait and switch tactics constantly. If you go onto their site ALL of their items are in stock but you'll get a call saying "THE ITEM THAT YOU ORDERED FAILED TESTING AND IT WAS THE LAST THEY HAD IN STOCK" then they'll present you with a different item.

None of their items are tested even if you pay for additional testing so chances are you'll get a lemon and they will do their best to make you pay for return shipping.

IF THEY REQUEST MONEY UP FRONT "PRE-PAY" DO NOT GIVE IT TO THEM. They don't have the item in stock and are trying to use your money to get it. If it's a large amount they will keep it as long as they can.

If you ever feel you are getting the perfect "at the moment Mac Model" for the perfect price and whatever, you will get the bait and switch, in which you will NOT get the model you want and then you have to wait up to 2-3 weeks to get your money back. After you get thru to someone on the phone they will offer you another model, because it's so convenient because they have a "store credit" for your money you already gave them. But get what you "really" want, wait to get your money back.

This totally happens trust me, after you put in the 2-3 weeks of research and are ready to get what is perfect for you go with eBay if you have to. There are some other used mac places. Some have price that are reasonable, and if you watch some of these sites you will see their stock disappear and reappear on a daily basis, so you know they are buying and selling old macs actively. Not just listing every mac model.

Laters...

jb20102010

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2014
Gainsaver sucks

Bought a Mac for my Son for X-mas. He went to download school material on it and it froze up. So come to find out make sure you are aware. But we had to pay for the shipping to ship it back. Then after speaking with the guy and him even calling me. Told him I want a refund. Now they have the mac back at this time. A few days later still no refund. So call again. Guy tells me that, oh you have to fill out another form online. WHICH IS REALLY STUPID!! WHAT HAPPENED TO NO QUESTIONS ASKED??? So then I get another e-mail today>>Dear Customer,

We have received your request for a refund. Upon approval by the payment processing department, the refund will be issued.

Refunds are processed within a week of the request date. After we process the refund, it takes a few additional days for the Credit Card company to post the refund to your account. The entire process can take a couple of weeks before you actually see the refund on your credit card statement. Your patience is appreciated.

Thanks for the Business,

GainSaver

THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN AT BEST BUY!!!!A COUPLE OF WEEKS??? THEN ON TOP OF IT I HAD TO PAY TO SHIP BACK A BROKEN MAC!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.