Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arvacker

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
Hello, i've spent the last couple of days researching my issue, to no avail. here's hoping someone can help.

I have a mac mini server (mountain lion) setup to accept VPN connections (L2TP). the network setup is as follows: static public ip - firewall - SBServer 2011 (takes care of DNS) - Mac Mini Server (internal ip 192.168.1.205 and set to assign ip to incoming vpn connections from 210-229).

Now the following problem occurs, on most locations employees can connect to vpn just fine and then logon to the terminal server (2008 R2). however, on some locations the vpn connects just fine, but users are unable to logon to the terminal server. (it's location connected, cause when i take the MacBook Air to a different location it works just fine). (this happened on a restaurant public wifi, in a B&B and at somebody's home) so both private and public wifi are affected.

does anyone have an idea what could be preventing the successful connection of the rdp-session? (we use iTap as client on MacBook Airs)
is there some sort of minimum down/up speed? (it works over normal 3G with iphone personal hotspot)

thanks in advance,

Arne

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
I have seen RDP fail sometimes due to MTU 'issues' cant remember the exact cause but it was due to smaller MTU's on some Links. It should not be a problem, but it was.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.