Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:16 PM   #26
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
proof? pics of receipt or GTFO

The first gen retina is a bad buy since it is not upgradeable
I do think apple will add upgradeable RAM to the 2nd gen
Really, you're going to tell me to GTFO? Check the picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	504.9 KB
ID:	393068  
mpayne2k is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:17 PM   #27
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailing View Post
I purchased an open box Mac back in 2010. Worst decision ever.
I hate Best Buy and will NEVER buy a laptop there, but from the looks of your post, it seems they have improved.

I still freaking hate them.
Why didn't you just deal with Apple directly instead of Best Buy? Apple will back the product for the full year warranty after buying open box.

The open box rMBP I got was in flawless condition. I had them open the box for me at the store and looked over it, turned it on, etc in the store before purchasing. I knew full well too that it still had warranty through Apple so any issues I'll deal with them first, not Best Buy. But, if things do sour, Best Buy also offers 60 days to return.
mpayne2k is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:43 PM   #28
skysailing
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
Why didn't you just deal with Apple directly instead of Best Buy? Apple will back the product for the full year warranty after buying open box.

The open box rMBP I got was in flawless condition. I had them open the box for me at the store and looked over it, turned it on, etc in the store before purchasing. I knew full well too that it still had warranty through Apple so any issues I'll deal with them first, not Best Buy. But, if things do sour, Best Buy also offers 60 days to return.
I had no idea how anything Apple worked back then, I was clueless. They didn't even tell me about it either..they convinced me to buy ALL their plans in case something happened.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:17 AM   #29
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I had no idea how anything Apple worked back then, I was clueless. They didn't even tell me about it either..they convinced me to buy ALL their plans in case something happened.
That's too bad. Live and learn I guess :-)
mpayne2k is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:47 AM   #30
InfinitiG
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Really, you're going to tell me to GTFO? Check the picture!
thats one hell of a deal, didnt believe it till now
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:29 AM   #31
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
The new chipsets are not due out until April and presumably the new MBPs May/June. I say if you want/need one now, get one.
The desktop chips hit first. The notebook ones are out later. I'd say June at the earliest, but I haven't checked the most recent launch estimates to see if they've been delayed further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasquez7 View Post
You just convinced me to wait. I absolutely do not need one right now so it's no big deal anyways. Thanks for you're input!
If someone on a forum really just convinced you to wait, you probably didn't need a new machine right now.

[QUOTE=InfinitiG;16736791]proof? pics of receipt or GTFO

You don't have to be rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinitiG View Post
The first gen retina is a bad buy since it is not upgradeable
I do think apple will add upgradeable RAM to the 2nd gen
This is unlikely. They mounted it differently this time with soldering, and it's unlikely that they will change the design to accommodate something different. If they remain consistent with prior decisions, it will still cost $200 to get to 16GB. It's unlikely that this has a huge impact on sales. The people who suggest they showed Apple by purchasing something different are often still buying macs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjeff8 View Post
The whole brouhaha about the Retina not being upgradable in regards to Ram baffles me. Just max t out at purchase at $200 and be done with it. Never think about it again. I would do that long before I would consider paying a extra $600 to go from 2.3 Ghz to 2.6 Ghz
I usually consider the entire system cost regardles of whether I'm upgrading a portion on my own. That is what really matters. When it came out 16GB was still around $100, so if you could upgrade on your own, it would have been a total of $2300 as opposed to $2400 to spec out the desired configuration.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:13 AM   #32
Rhinoevans
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by evasquez7 View Post
Hello all. I'm really tempted to buy a new laptop. Looking at the base model 15" rMBP. Would I be stupid to buy one right now, being that Apple will probably update these soon? Just want different opinions. Best Buy is having a sale this weekend so i'm really tempted to get one.
No
Rhinoevans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:24 AM   #33
Rhinoevans
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The hard drive is TERRIBLE, the processor is screwed up, the bottom has been through hell, it was scratched on the ports, and I had to send it back to Best Buy so they can fix an issue with the screen not turning on. After 2 weeks it was sent back to me "fixed".

The screen still would not turn on, meaning they didn't even turn it on.
Yep, sounds like BBY did all that to your OPEN box just to unset you.
Get real, bought OPEN box, which means NOT NEW. Can have problems, but not usually.

Fix under warrenty or return and get new. Simple. Open Box, save money, take chances, but doubt that BBY was trying to hose you in the deal.

Is it possible they work on the screen and in transit it went out again. Probably not!
Rhinoevans is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:00 AM   #34
Nandifix
macrumors 6502

You would not be stupid it's a great machine.
Nandifix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:48 AM   #35
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Just confirmed at my local Best Buy that the image retention is a real problem. I typed in the command and it was an LG screen.

I'm waiting until the next update/generation of rmbp because of it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:00 AM   #36
swerve147
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
Just confirmed at my local Best Buy that the image retention is a real problem. I typed in the command and it was an LG screen.

I'm waiting until the next update/generation of rmbp because of it.
This whole LG issue really sucks. In the meantime those without IR issues are probably enjoying the hell out of their MBPs. Don't forget these machines are covered by a warranty as well.

IR aside I don't see anything inherently wrong with buying now especially if you can get a nice discount. Getting a rMBP for $1500 is a no-brainer.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:21 AM   #37
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve147 View Post
This whole LG issue really sucks. In the meantime those without IR issues are probably enjoying the hell out of their MBPs. Don't forget these machines are covered by a warranty as well.

IR aside I don't see anything inherently wrong with buying now especially if you can get a nice discount. Getting a rMBP for $1500 is a no-brainer.
Yeah, for that price it's a steal. But I just can't get over how bad it was when I was messing around on one. It's just too big of an issue for someone to spend any amount of money on.

I just picture myself working on a word document, switching screens and seeing what I typed on the next page...

I have heard of people going to Apple resellers and having them open the box and check which screen it is before buying. Although, I don't see that happening very often.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:53 AM   #38
Gregintosh
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblissmn View Post
I think it would also be realistic for Apple to consider offering a cheaper, longer-battery-life version of the 15 with integrated graphics only, no discrete chip.

The other thing that's always a possibility is more generous standard configurations of SSD and/or RAM capacity. If the next generation maintains the same price points, I'd honestly be surprised if Apple doesn't bump the standard SSD configuration to 512GB in the 15-inch and 256GB in the 13. I suspect they'll still stay at 8GB RAM but you never know.

Increased speed for extreme tasks? Probably not that you'd notice much.
I think it would be very unrealistic for Apple to offer a low graphics, high battery life option. Removing the dedicated card would not necessarily give them more space for a bigger battery. And if you want more battery life just get gfxCardStatus and force it to stay on integrated all the time. Don't need to rip out the dedicated one to achieve that.

As far as SSD going up to 512GB as standard, I highly doubt it also. That's too big of a price jump for Apple to swallow. I would say more realistically, it will be just a new processor, updated graphics, perhaps RAM being 16GB standard as adding 8GB of RAM is far cheaper than adding an extra 256GB of SSD.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:05 AM   #39
skysailing
macrumors regular

Quote:
That's too bad. Live and learn I guess :-)
Tell me about it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:10 AM   #40
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

I'm waiting for the next generation in June/July or whenever it comes out... But not because of any issues scaring me away, but because my 2009 MBP 2.66 C2D is still getting the job done. I can't wait though for the next generation retina MBP... I will be getting that day one.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Pro