Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Jan 1, 2013, 11:20 AM   #101
Ice Dragon
macrumors 6502a

Tide Washing Machine Cleaner. Put in a full packet, run a cycle on hot, then do a load and see if that gets rid of it. If not, put in another packet and try again.
Ice Dragon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2013, 08:57 AM   #102
susierosietoes
macrumors newbie

Resurrecting this thing because I've been totally bummed over about 5 of my husband's shirts, two pairs of my favorite (and fairly expensive) workout pants and 2 awesome (and fairly expensive) jackets that I ONCE left in my front-loading HE washer for too long. Each of these pieces of clothing got that funky stank that won't come out, no matter what I do.

I can wash clothes in the washer now without them acquiring the stinkiness, so that problem is solved. But these 9-10 pieces WILL NOT GET CLEAN, no matter what I try. I've washed them with vinegar. I've added Arm & Hammer booster. I've added Clorox booster. I've tried Oxyclean. I've tried Borax. I've tried more detergent, extra rinsing, less detergent...all to no avail. I've cleaned the washer and since no other clothes are acquiring the scent, I figure it's embedded in the fabric of these 9-10 pieces.

I never dry these clothes in the dryer—I'm afraid of "locking in" the smell. They always hang dry and sometimes a couple of them has seemed clean...but as soon as we wear them, five minutes in, that scent is back.

At this point, most of the clothes stay in the laundry room. I don't even bother to put them in the closet, for fear of sending my husband to work with a stinky shirt. So I keep re-washing them and trying new techniques, but so far, nothing's working.

Am I doomed to throw these pieces away? I keep trying to get them clean- replacing them means spending over $350. Argh!!!
susierosietoes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:39 AM   #103
Gonzo3333
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by susierosietoes View Post
Resurrecting this thing because I've been totally bummed over about 5 of my husband's shirts, two pairs of my favorite (and fairly expensive) workout pants and 2 awesome (and fairly expensive) jackets that I ONCE left in my front-loading HE washer for too long. Each of these pieces of clothing got that funky stank that won't come out, no matter what I do.

I can wash clothes in the washer now without them acquiring the stinkiness, so that problem is solved. But these 9-10 pieces WILL NOT GET CLEAN, no matter what I try. I've washed them with vinegar. I've added Arm & Hammer booster. I've added Clorox booster. I've tried Oxyclean. I've tried Borax. I've tried more detergent, extra rinsing, less detergent...all to no avail. I've cleaned the washer and since no other clothes are acquiring the scent, I figure it's embedded in the fabric of these 9-10 pieces.

I never dry these clothes in the dryer—I'm afraid of "locking in" the smell. They always hang dry and sometimes a couple of them has seemed clean...but as soon as we wear them, five minutes in, that scent is back.

At this point, most of the clothes stay in the laundry room. I don't even bother to put them in the closet, for fear of sending my husband to work with a stinky shirt. So I keep re-washing them and trying new techniques, but so far, nothing's working.

Am I doomed to throw these pieces away? I keep trying to get them clean- replacing them means spending over $350. Argh!!!
You may want to leave them in the sun for an afternoon or two. One of my trash cans developed a very nasty smell one week (spoiled chicken). I put the trash can in the back yard and let the sun's UV take care of most of the smell. Before you get rid of those clothes give that a try.

Since I also had a relatively new washing machine fry it's circuit board two months ago (a non HE top loader) I was in the market for a new machine. I did some research and ended up buying a Maytag Bravos top loader HE washer. So far I am pretty happy with the machine, I was always in the habit of keeping the lid open after a load so I never had the mildew problem associated with the front loaders. One thing I have noticed is that there is definitely water somewhere below the level of the tub in the machine when it if finished with a wash cycle. I am not sure if that is going to become a problem later during the machines life. I guess I'll resurrect this thread again if it becomes a problem.
Gonzo3333 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 12:56 AM   #104
wordoflife
macrumors 604

My clothes come out fine (though sometimes you can notice the smell if left for a long period of time). But also, using liquid fabric softener completely masks any smell coming out of the washer when I use that.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 09:41 AM   #105
wct097
macrumors 6502

The "problem" with front loading washers is that the water never completely drains out and you end up with mold/mildew inside the machine which then gets into the clothes when you wash them.

Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread or not, but front loading washers do require regular maintenance that regular washers may not. You're supposed to drain them and clean out the filter/trap every 6 months or so. It's also a good idea to leave the front door open when you're done washing to let it air out.

I would suggest the following:
1. Find your user manual and follow the steps to drain and clean the trap/filter in your washer.
2. Do the whole bleach/hot water run with nothing in the machine to clean it out.
3. Do a test wash with a big fluffy towel to see if it smells when you're done.
4. After washing, leave the door open until the next time you wash (or if it's in the way, leave it open for an hour or two or overnight).
wct097 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2013, 06:16 PM   #106
musicjunky
macrumors regular

My girlfriend's dryer is really weak, so my clothes come out slight wet sometimes, and after it dries it stanksss.
musicjunky is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion